DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
cmtar said:
Can you get SD channels with the am21 or is it just HD? I ask because I cant get CW and PBS HD online SD.
the AM21 is an ATSC tuner, not an NTSC tuner, that means it gets HD only as far as I know

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
AM21 will not receive the regular analog channels. It will receive SD channels such as digital subchannels.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Yes, Digital does not necessarily mean HD .. There will be some stations that continue to broadcast in SD (camera cost, etc.) but will switch from an analog broadcast to a digital broadcast. You need an ATSC tuner to pick up the digital broadcasts. All new HD "Televisions" will have an ATSC tuner built in.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
cmtar said:
Can you get SD channels with the am21 or is it just HD? I ask because I cant get CW and PBS HD online SD.
To be clear. It is a ATSC (digital) tuner only. It will not receive analog broadcasts.

Remember that digital TV includes SD,ED, and HD formats.

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
There are many channels already broadcasting digital SD material. Either as sub channels offering different content or broadcasting both HD and SD simultaneously on digital. In my area I think the most I've seen is 4 sd channels in 1 digital channel. It will not pick up old analog signals but will pick up anything digital. Hd or sd.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
February 2009 is when the analog signals will be shut down. Most of those stations already have digital signals in addition to analog, although some will be changing the frequency of their digital transmissions to the frequency currently used for analog when the transition occurs. If have a digital tuner you should use it now to receive those channels, as the picture quality is usually better than analog (you also can receive new subchannels not currently broadcast in analog).

My AM21 receives SD digital channels just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.