DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HR21 and am21 for my ota local sub-channels and PBS. I can receive all the OTA without the am21 and the coax directly into my TV (been doing that for 1.5 years).

Now that I have the HR21 I got an am21 so we could record some of the shows not carried on D*. Any way...I cannot get all the channels with the am21.

OTA we get 6,8,10,13,35, & 51 and 2-3 subs for each (Portland Maine market). With the am21 we show all those in the search for channels but only can receive 13 and 35. Is the am21 not as strong a tuner as the ones in the TVs?

Not the end of the world but wondering why it won't work.

matt

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Personally I've found the AM21 to be as good or better than other tuners. There is a way to look at signal strength on any channel through the Sat&Ant menu... what are you seeing?

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Hmm. Is it the same cable as you're using to go straight into the TV? Is it split at all? Is it nice and snug into the AM21?

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Oh by the way I'm moving this to the HD DVR forum.

·
Legend
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Hmm. Is it the same cable as you're using to go straight into the TV? Is it split at all? Is it nice and snug into the AM21?
It is the cable that was removed from the back of the Toshiba and right into the am21. there is one split prior to that to feed another tv in the house. I am going to try a new cable tonight from the wall to the am21, maybe it doesn't like this one?

matt

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
mattmill said:
No signal at all on the channels that are 771 and about 65% on the couple that I do receive.

matt
Hmmmm...I don't like your signal levels at all. I would look at your cable runs and connectors. I'm using an AM21 and am 28.7 miles from the transmitting complex. I receive every digital channel using an RCA ANT 1450 (flat plate with preamp, sitting on a dresser in our bedroom), with no break up or signal loss. The tuner in the AM21 is very, very good. I'm seeing signal levels from 74 to 100%, with the average in the high 80's to low 90's. I've done a lot of measurements on the AM21 in two different environments, so if you get the signal to it in decent shape, you should be fine, unless there is something wrong with your particular AM21 itself.

You can also try inserting a good low noise preamp like the Channel Master 7777 just before your splitter to make up for splitter and cable losses:

TV Ant > Feedline > CM-7777 > Splitter > HDTV(s)

Don't use the typical "video distribution" amps...they usually have very poor noise figures (sensitivity), and only focus on gain, which is counter productive.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I have the AM21 also and it is a very good OTA tuner. I put a Brunswick zip code in at tvfool and it looks like you should be getting signals very much like mine here just east of DFW, where I am just over 40 miles from the transmitter "farm". It is possible you just have a very good TV tuner but I doubt that's the issue. I know it should not matter but just for completeness, what type of antenna are you using?

·
Legend
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My OTA antenna is a large (9 ft) radioshack/channel master rooftop. We do have a ton of trees in the direction of the farm. We are also only 45' above sealevel if that matters.

matt

·
Cool Member
73 Posts
My TV can get more (digital) channels than my AM21 sees so I asked DTV. The answer I got was basically this:

1. During set up, the AM 21 goes out and looks for local channels according to the zip code you enter

2. the mapping of zip code to available channels comes from DTV. this means the channels that the ATM 21 picks up are only the ones DTV wants you to see.

·
Godfather
308 Posts
dlleno said:
My TV can get more (digital) channels than my AM21 sees so I asked DTV. The answer I got was basically this:

1. During set up, the AM 21 goes out and looks for local channels according to the zip code you enter

2. the mapping of zip code to available channels comes from DTV. this means the channels that the ATM 21 picks up are only the ones DTV wants you to see.
I have heard it is possible to add in a second or third zip code to search as well, can anyone elaborate on this? I will be setting up my antenna/AM21 this weekend and may need to do this as well.

·
Legend
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dlleno said:

Not the problem. The all show up just no signals.

matt

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Starchy77 said:
I have heard it is possible to add in a second or third zip code to search as well, can anyone elaborate on this? I will be setting up my antenna/AM21 this weekend and may need to do this as well.
I don't know about a third but a second zip can be entered and it should search for those channels as well. I have two zips entered into my HR21 and receive channels from both zips. Good Luck :)

BTW, i agree with others, the AM21 has excellent tuners. They hold as solid as my Panny.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.