DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was supposed to have service installed today but due to no locals available in my market I cancelled. What I am left wondering is how the AM21 works. If I buy one and install it would I get locals in HD that I can not get with Directv?

Directv says no because its feed coming from them. Is that right? My impression was that it was a OTA antenna that would nto be pulling feed from them because they cant get the feed to begin with. Now I know that the AM21 connects to the HR21 and incorporates the channles into the guide for DVR functions but I just dont get how it would be pulling feed from them. What am I missing.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
The am21 works exactly as you'd expect it to. You connect it up to your antenna, indoor or outdoor as needed, and it picks up the OTA broadcast signal. It then sends it over to your hr21 over the usb bus where it's handled like any other signal. It shows up in your guide almost identically to any other channel (channel number will show something like 8-1 instead of 8 and have a different background color) and can be viewed or recorded like any other channel.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
evan_s said:
The am21 works exactly as you'd expect it to. You connect it up to your antenna, indoor or outdoor as needed, and it picks up the OTA broadcast signal. It then sends it over to your hr21 over the usb bus where it's handled like any other signal. It shows up in your guide almost identically to any other channel (channel number will show something like 8-1 instead of 8 and have a different background color) and can be viewed or recorded like any other channel.
The question is that since I wont be getting locals from Directv will it still work? I am assuming that you have locals from directv just not HD ones and thats why you wanted the AM21.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
joshjr said:
The question is that since I wont be getting locals from Directv will it still work? I am assuming that you have locals from directv just not HD ones and thats why you wanted the AM21.
If you can get a decent signal from an antenna you can get your locals off air..

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
Yes it works for channels DirecTV doesn't carry. I have HD from directv but they don't cary CBS in hd in my market. I got it in SD over sat and get it in HD OTA now with the AM21.

The way the Am21 or a hr20 works is you put in your zip code and DirecTV uses a database to determine which channel(s) are suppose to be in the area based on tribune guide data. What channels you can get via sat don't matter. If you happen to be near 2 markets or have a really good antenna you can actually put in 2 zip codes and pick up channels from both markets.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
evan_s said:
Yes it works for channels DirecTV doesn't carry. I have HD from directv but they don't cary CBS in hd in my market. I got it in SD over sat and get it in HD OTA now with the AM21.

The way the Am21 or a hr20 works is you put in your zip code and DirecTV uses a database to determine which channel(s) are suppose to be in the area based on tribune guide data. What channels you can get via sat don't matter. If you happen to be near 2 markets or have a really good antenna you can actually put in 2 zip codes and pick up channels from both markets.
Thats the problem right there. They dont offer locals in my market so even if by chance I could get locals it appears that I wont be able to DVR them because Directv dont offer locals in my area. I doubt they are gonna be nice enough to say yes that should be available in your area and add it to my guide anyways.

·
Banned
261 Posts
joshjr said:
Thats the problem right there. They dont offer locals in my market so even if by chance I could get locals it appears that I wont be able to DVR them because Directv dont offer locals in my area. I doubt they are gonna be nice enough to say yes that should be available in your area and add it to my guide anyways.
I don't think you are understanding. The channels are added to your guide based on your zip code and has nothing to do with whatever locals Directv does or does not offer.

Previous poster gave the advice to check antennaweb.org -- this will tell you which locals you can get irrespective of your directv package.

The only way Directv will limit your ability to get OTA locals is if you do not have "HD Access".

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
joshjr said:
I was supposed to have service installed today but due to no locals available in my market I cancelled. What I am left wondering is how the AM21 works. If I buy one and install it would I get locals in HD that I can not get with Directv?

Directv says no because its feed coming from them. Is that right? My impression was that it was a OTA antenna that would nto be pulling feed from them because they cant get the feed to begin with. Now I know that the AM21 connects to the HR21 and incorporates the channles into the guide for DVR functions but I just dont get how it would be pulling feed from them. What am I missing.
This is a case of the CSR not understanding the question at hand. Which was can the AM21 receive local channels? The answer is yes. The CSR assumes that the OP meant DirecTV delivered local channels instead of OTA channels.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I will still need a long range antenna as well to go with the AM21? Anyone recommend one? Also I thought it was funny when I called directv and asked about the AM21 they told me that they dont sell them or install them lol. I said I am on a site right now that says they are a directv retailer. My thoughts were that they dont want me getting locals since they dont offer them in this market. It really stinks.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
joshjr said:
So I will still need a long range antenna as well to go with the AM21? Anyone recommend one? Also I thought it was funny when I called directv and asked about the AM21 they told me that they dont sell them or install them lol. I said I am on a site right now that says they are a directv retailer. My thoughts were that they dont want me getting locals since they dont offer them in this market. It really stinks.
Directv doesn't have enough bandwidth available to offer HD (or even SD) locals in all markets. With the D11 satellite, additional markets will be added soon. The AM21 is relatively new and the CSR you spoke to may not have encountered many orders (they can also be ordered from the web site after you have service with a HR21).

For antenna recommendations, see http://www.antennaweb.org. This site will allow you to enter your exact location. It will predict what stations you should be able to receive (it is a bit pessimistic) and will recommend what antenna type to use.

·
Icon
528 Posts
joshjr said:
I just installed a ChannelMaster Crossfire UHF/VHF/FM outdoor antenna on my roof, 45 mile range by my channels were only about 15 miles away (all on the same "community" tower thankfully) works great.

When it comes to OTA and antennas though, YMMV-- BIG time.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
The way it works is the guide data is sent over the sat connection. Yes even for areas they don't have locals they still provide the guide data over the sat connection. The TV signal how ever comes via the broadcast over the air signals to the am21 and then to the hr21 via usb. As long as you get a good enough antenna you'll be able to DVR the broadcast signals just like the sat signals. The whole purpose of the am21 is to let people get local stations DirecTV doesn't carry on their sats.

As far as not installing the am21 that is actually correct. They are customer self install item only. No DirecTV installer carries them. The HSPs don't stock them. You have to hook it and your antenna up on your own. As far as ordering them goes it is new and you do have to have an HR21 active on your account before they can even see the option to order one. Since you didn't get your service installed the CSR you where talking to wouldn't have been able to see and order one at that time.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
evan_s said:

One caveat... if the channel is NOT in the DirecTV database (from the Tribune company) and it cannot get the program guide for that channel, then the HR21 will NOT tune to that channel.

I have some sub-channels here in South FLorida that are not in the D* database, and I can only get them directly on my TV or TiVo... not through my HR21

·
AllStar
57 Posts
joshjr said:
So I will still need a long range antenna as well to go with the AM21? Anyone recommend one?
I'm getting great signals with the "Antennas Direct DB4 Multi Directional HDTV Antenna" installed outside on the pole that my dish is on. The antenna is only a couple of feet off the ground, but I'm getting great signal strength from sources between 2 and 30 miles away. The product description says that its 'range' is 55 miles, but we all know that "your mileage my vary".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EHYG9K

(Note that when you check antennaweb.org, you need to select "digital channels only" on the results page.)

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
On my AM21 I'm getting channels that directv does not offer, so yes you will be able to get the channels. But you will only get digital channels. I cannot tune into the analog channels. Shouldn't be a problem if you can get all of your local digital channels with an antenna.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I used my cable provider that carries the locals that hooks up with just a coaxle and no box could I run that coaxile to the AM21 and that show up in my guide for locals?

·
7 Posts
MartyS said:
One caveat... if the channel is NOT in the DirecTV database (from the Tribune company) and it cannot get the program guide for that channel, then the HR21 will NOT tune to that channel.

I have some sub-channels here in South FLorida that are not in the D* database, and I can only get them directly on my TV or TiVo... not through my HR21
I discoverd this too. If the channel isn't in the D* database for your zipcode (or in the database for a secondary zipcode you can also enter), then the AM-21 won't find it. Also, digital stations only but that's all there will be from US broadcasters after next Feb.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since they dont have locals available in my area what are the odds that the channel guide will pick them up with my zip? There are locals here but just Directv dont offer them to me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.