DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many previous posters, I have read every thread I could find on diplexing the AM21 and since I'm not an installer nor an RF techie, I'm still unsure as to whether I actually CAN diplex my OTA signal and if so, how to wire it up. I have an AT9 antenna that feeds both a WB68 and an SWM8. Right now, only a single IRD, an HR21, is being fed by the SWM8 (because I only pulled one RG6 to my deck out back.)

And also like many others, my locals are not HD via D so I ordered an AM21 with the hopes of diplexing my OTA out back to the HR21 down the single RG6. So, here is my current setup and if someone could tell me where to place the diplexer and combiner, assuming it's doable, it would be greatly appreciated. (I also read that a DC Voltage Block should be used to prevent power going to the antenna but again, I'm not sure where that should go.)

TIA

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
There is a port on the SWM8 to which you can feed the antenna output. You then need to use a diplexer at the HR21 to feed that signal to the AM21.

With only one receiver connected, you don't need the SWS4 splitter. Alternately, you could get rid of the WB68 and SWS2 splitters and use a SWS8 to feed all of the receivers. You could then use diplexers (or the cables which would be freed up) to get OTA to your HR20s.

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, Bob. So, just run one of my OTA feeds from the splitter to the Off Air port on the SWM8 and then, at the HR21, install a diplexer with one side going to the HR21 and the other to the AM21 like in this drawing?

BTW, will this diplexer suffice?

Roger on your other suggestions, I bought the extra hardware thinking I would eventually be removing the WB68 and just stuck the SWS4 in there on the board in preparation for the move.

And, I assume with the PI downstream of the OTA signal insertion, I don't need to worry about a DC voltage block on that line?

· Legend
217 Posts
KB,
I use this combination:
  • Channel Master 4002IFD VHF/UHF Satellite High Performance Diplexer/Combiner
  • Channel Master 4001IFD VHF/UHF Satellite Diplexer/Separator
with a SL3-S (SWM LNB), so I needed the combiner. Sounds like with the SWM-8 switch you don't need that part.

Also, SolidSignal.com is my source for anything D*/OTA related.

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HDinVT: Roger on SS for D/OTA supplies, I use them as well. In this case though, if all I need is a diplexer, the one I included the link for is available at my local electronics shop so I could get the AM21 (and local/Network HD recording on my deck rig,) up and running sooner than ordering from SS.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
That diplexer would probably work. The issue is that it passes the 2.3 MHz signal from the receiver to the SWM (the specs are silent about that). Are you using terminators on the unused ports of the SWS4?

I said SWS8, but the SWS4 is correct (your R15 would connect to the legacy ports).

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent, I'll drop by the local electronics store and pick up that diplexer tomorrrow, Bob. Then, if I have problems, I'll order one of the the CM 4002IFD that HDinVT mentioned from SS.

Yep, unused SWS4 ports are terminated.

Didn't know the older R15 would need to be on the legacy port though..thanks.

Man, I'm PSYCHED to be able to get HD locals outside..the NFL season is just around the corner!

Many thanks..

· Always Searching
1,940 Posts
kilobravo said:
For a retired Nasal Radiator, those are fighting words, dude!
Wow, I missed that one pretty bad then -- my apologies! Don't know how I didn't recognize one of my own. Avionics guy myself (F14's, S3's, EA6's, and E2's.)

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No sweat, DSW, it really COULD have been an Air Force or Army OCD guy who made that drawing. <chuckling>

Anyway...

Bob & HDinVT: Picked up the local diplexer, made a couple pigtail coax cables, and then up to the attic where I gave the SWM8 a feed from my OTA splitter. Then, went out to the deck, hooked up the diplexer to both HR21 & AM21, fired up the two boxes and following the always painful wait after powering down, ran through the initial antenna setup routine, (not nearly as painful,) and bingo, I had all available local OTA channels in the Guide with both tuners showing 100 percent signal!

Obviously, I'm a happy camper and as always, can't thank you guys and all the other helpful folks on this board enough for your outstanding assistance.

Sincerely,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.