DBSTalk Forum banner

Would your purchase an AM21 w/750gb HDD in it for $350?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Yes if I could choose a bigger Hard Drive for Extra $$$

Votes: 32 94.1%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am rolling some ideas around right now and in VERY early stages of looking at things.

So I am curious, how many of you would be interested in purchasing an AM21 w/750gb HDD integrated into it for around $350?

It would still connect via eSata, and the AM21 would then have a separate power adapter, but it would be intergrated into one unit instead of having the AM21 and then another external enclosure for the HDD.

Remember the AM21 retails for $50 and is only for HR21 receivers right now.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at doing them, and that is around what it would cost + a tiny bit of labor for me doing it, etc.

So I was curious if anyone would be interested, before I looked at it anymore.

Keep in mind an external setup with the antec or the likes for 750gb would run you around $160 - $200.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
you could do one with out a drive included for a lower cost as a option. but wouldn't you be teetering on the edge of needing permission from the FCC or DIRECTV for the modification?

·
Godfather
318 Posts
The most I would pay for something like this is $250, but it does sound interesting.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gulfwarvet said:
you could do one with out a drive included for a lower cost as a option. but wouldn't you be teetering on the edge of needing permission from the FCC or DIRECTV for the modification?
Ya, it would kinda have to be a home brew type thing. I dunno, like I said, early stages.

and the problem is the cost, I think I know how to do it, but the cost + my time to do it and make it worth while to do it would be kinda hard....then worrying about all the other fun stuff as well (like you pointed out, FCC, Directv, failures, returns, etc.).

Then again, places like weaknees get away with mods and its not exactly voiding copyrights or anything like that, just using the extra space Directv left in the box ;)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thats exactly what I wanted to do. Even earl was talking about it :p

I have an idea for the design, and I think it would work, just want to know if there is any interest before I spend more time, etc. on it.

I could maybe do something cheaper if I sell it without the drive, but then it would require people to put their own drive in and be less plug and play....thoughts?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maruuk said:
Since the current AM21 recordings are a disaster with trick play, I doubt that scenario would be any better.
?

This is talking about just using the AM21 to house the drive, the AM21 functions would all still be the same and separate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.