DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,987 Posts
We'll see. Not to be Debbie Downer here but I have yet to stream a game in the last 4 years that didnt have issues. No matter if it was a London game, Yahoo, Amazon or other. They all had issues and were not ready for this yet. I have hope Amazon is ready with them carry so many games this season but we shall see.

Reactions: AZ.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
We'll see. Not to be Debbie Downer here but I have yet to stream a game in the last 4 years that didnt have issues. No matter if it was a London game, Yahoo, Amazon or other. They all had issues and were not ready for this yet. I have hope Amazon is ready with them carry so many games this season but we shall see.
I stream games all day and night long.. Zero issues

·
Administrator
505 Posts
Amazon is confident about a lot of things that don't always pan out for them.

Reactions: SamC

·
Hall Of Fame
4,987 Posts
Its a little different when its a game that streaming it is the only avenue. I am hoping it does go issue free but that has never been the case for any of these specific games I am talking about.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,526 Posts
Streaming is just not ready for prime time. Sure, it’s OK for what it is for, a nice supplement to linear TV where ON DEMAND things can be shown. But to have millions of different connections to a live sports event, which is how streaming works, just won’t work. Sure they can toss something 99% of people are watching on a network on streaming too. Not the same

They already had to supply the commercial market via DirecTV (at no charge, thus at no profit) and it is very likely that this will fail so totally that the games will be on NFLN or on DirecTV for homes by October. The NFL won’t put up with the bad publicity.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,987 Posts
Streaming is just not ready for prime time. Sure, it’s OK for what it is for, a nice supplement to linear TV where ON DEMAND things can be shown. But to have millions of different connections to a live sports event, which is how streaming works, just won’t work. Sure they can toss something 99% of people are watching on a network on streaming too. Not the same

They already had to supply the commercial market via DirecTV (at no charge, thus at no profit) and it is very likely that this will fail so totally that the games will be on NFLN or on DirecTV for homes by October. The NFL won’t put up with the bad publicity.
While I dont hope for failure for Amazon, I do hope that if it does have issues like they always have in the past 4 years that the NFL is ready to step in and make sure we have a viable option to watch the games. I would think that just a big money contract isnt enough if it makes their product value go down over time. If the streaming goes off fine and no issues, that is fine. I just have my doubts and if Amazon cant handle a single game, it gives me no hope that any company can handle the streaming of all the games for Sunday Ticket next season.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts

Millions of different connections happen to sporting events every day of the week.. ESPN+, MLB.tv and the host of other apps do this day in and day out. 10's of millions of people upgraded there phones to iOS16 yesterday and the internet didnt blink..

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
Its a little different when its a game that streaming it is the only avenue. I am hoping it does go issue free but that has never been the case for any of these specific games I am talking about.
The traffic for the games will be a drop in the bucket to the bandwidth Amazon churns out from people watching video from Prime Video

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,436 Posts
The traffic for the games will be a drop in the bucket to the bandwidth Amazon churns out from people watching video from Prime Video
The same surely can't be said for Apple and their "boutique" streaming service.

·
Icon
1,565 Posts
Same here. I’ve been streaming only for years now after 20+ years with D, first with PSVue when I first made the switch to streaming and with YTTV since PSVue closed shop. I can think of only a few times when I experienced any issue with popular live events, sports and others, or anything for that matter. In my area with weather issues, streaming has been less of an issue than D. But of course that is just my experience.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,436 Posts
I've streamed portions of a few of the Amazon Prime sports events and while I wasn't impressed early on (lacking in contrast), the more recent games are much better. It is good to see a company that makes improvements rather than excuses.

·
Super Moderator
53,883 Posts
It would be interesting to know how many people tried to stream the games you are complaining about. NFL Sunday Ticket is not the only way people watch the Sunday games. Most viewers of those games are watching via their local TV affiliates. Only a couple million people subscribe to Sunday Ticket ... and based on the survey earlier this year many people don't know if they subscribe to NFL ST or not.

I hope next year's streamer beats DIRECTV's subscriber numbers and actual viewership. They will need to do so if it will be a financial success.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,526 Posts
ST cannot make money. It is a loss leader for DirecTV, and will be one for whoever has it next. Buying it will require first buying something else, just like DirecTV. And there is really no doubt that, just like TNF, they will have to farm out the commercial side to DirecTV.

As to TNF, there will be huge problems. A handful of people watching a melodrama on demand, which is what 90% of streaming is, and a large number of people watching a live event, are two different things.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,526 Posts
I think it can but it can't be hobbled by needing a not-universally-available MVPD subscription as was demanded by DIRECTV.
If you look at the ratings for the “free” games you would need a buy rate of something like 35% of those people for ST to break even at what DirecTV pays. They got about 2M people, which is less than a 10% buy rate. Since the NFL wants yet more money the needed buy rate goes up too.

The idea that 40 or 50% of the people who watch football now will buy ST is just not realistic.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
If you look at the ratings for the “free” games you would need a buy rate of something like 35% of those people for ST to break even at what DirecTV pays. They got about 2M people, which is less than a 10% buy rate. Since the NFL wants yet more money the needed buy rate goes up too.

The idea that 40 or 50% of the people who watch football now will buy ST is just not realistic.
40 or 50% of people who watch football will now at least having the opportunity to buy it. That wasn't the case before.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,436 Posts
NFLST carries a relatively large number of contests (along with the bonus features) versus the "free" version's single game offering. As such, it isn't reasonable to compare the numbers straight across or even by a linear factor.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts