DBSTalk Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Godfather
855 Posts
I think it can but it can't be hobbled by needing a not-universally-available MVPD subscription as was demanded by DIRECTV.
Let’s be honest… what’s hobbled ST is that it was an afterthought add-on to a still lucrative, 50+ year old business model offered that was offered as a loss leader to a different, less lucrative than it has been historically, related business model.

The latter business model is slowly dying which is the leading edge of the coming demise of the former business model.

We can see the future, but it it is still foggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
503 Posts
And the article also points out people had zero issues
Yeah I'm seeing a handful of folks who didn't have notice issues that are quick to presume the rest of the country must have been "doing it wrong" as if they never looked away from the screen once in four hours a la A Clockwork Orange. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: drpjr

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
Yeah I'm seeing a handful of folks who didn't have notice issues that are quick to presume the rest of the country must have been "doing it wrong" as if they never looked away from the screen once in four hours a la A Clockwork Orange. :ROFLMAO:
Thats a bad comparison though.. Is there feedback saying that the local broadcasts were perfect?

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
So basically streaming football has to be perfect for every TV in America because cable or satellite never has any issues?

·
Cool Member/Supporter
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
The argument made by some was not whether it would be "perfect", it was rather "it won't work AT ALL".
My experience was that it was, in fact, a better overall experience than on Fox or the NFL. The picture on my OLED was drop dead gorgeous, and except for some issues with the crowd noise being a little muddled, it was about as good as I hoped.

Hate to rain on the "streaming won't work" parade, but streaming worked, and worked well. I look foreword to see how Amazon tweaks it as the season goes on.

·
Administrator
503 Posts
I don't think anyone pointing out the issues that Amazon had with the game is suggesting other means were ever perfect, just that Amazon wasn't either. Both things can be true no matter how many whataboutisms are thrown at it.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
There were none from Amazon. I watched the pregame, game, and postgame with no droputs at all. Amazon can only control their own production.
If some of Amazon's CDNs aren't keeping up, that's Amazon's problem too. Streaming isn't just a direct pipe to the mother ship.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sports Illustrated did a review of the game and this was actually in the article-

Last night did nothing to change my feelings about streaming sports. I hate it and I don’t want to do it.

I want to watch a game on a big TV, not my iPad or laptop or phone.

My 85” Z9K must of been lying to my eyes then.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,248 Posts
I have been streaming college football games for the past two weeks on YouTubeTV. It works very well on my Roku TV set. I also stream Netflix, Paramount+, Prime Video, Acorn, MLB and Peacock with no problems. I am not a pro football fan, so I did not watch the Chargers game on Thursday.

·
Icon
1,360 Posts
All this technology over the last 5-10 years had been hard on a lot of the older generation.
If you go on Twitter and search:

TNF Prime

You will find young people were equally flummoxed.

I'm ancient, but tech stupidity is an equal opportunity affliction.

Edit: A minor anecdote, but....I talked about this with my nephews, 30 years younger than me, and they said they never call ISP's, Cable companies, etc. EVER.
They said they have enough tech savvy friends to sort any issues they might have, unless something is truly broken.

·
Super Moderator
53,871 Posts
There does seem to be people who could never be convinced that streaming could work and people who could never be convinced that streaming could fail. It is a shame that we can't cut through the previously held opinions and hear the truth.

·
AllStar
188 Posts
I don't know whether it was a coincidence or whether Amazon was actually doing something, but I had buffering problems with watching some other Amazon shows while Thursday Night Football was on.

Later in the evening when watching TNF I had no problems with that.

I was using an Amazon Fire Stick.

·
Icon
783 Posts
Prime not ready for prime. First try Roku Ultra. All hardwired 100mbs. Picture looked like dial-up. Terrible audio sync issues. Tried other Prime shows and other apps all great. This is two weeks in a row. Hard pass.
Font Gadget Audio equipment Recreation Flat panel display

Next up Sony internal app picture was glorious. Best sports I've seen. Audio was still out. Like a second or more ahead of the video. You could hear cheers before the plays ended. Went to captioning. Mostly flashed on and off so fast I thought it was subliminal advertising. Unreadable. Captioning was also annoyingly large. Pass.
OTA sub-channels and Directv warts and all are better than this.

Given the chance for that great PQ I'll give a try next week but this is already old.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts