DBSTalk Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Cool Member
98 Posts
ON Thursday I was experimenting with my Samsung TV app for Amazon Prime, and My Firestick 4k. The TV app sound was run through my Denon amplifier via optical out from TV. The Firestrick is directly input into the Denon and routed to the TV.

The picture on the Firestick was darker than what i would expect with HDR set to on or off. In addition, I found it to pixelate frequently. Usually the pixelation was more like mosquito noise around the players heads. There was also a judder effect on some of the running plays. (as if a frame dropped.)

The app on the TV was perfect. The picture was clear and brighter. NO pixelations nor "frame dropping".

The problems on the Firestick could be associated with the routing of the picture through the amp. (Firestick, Amp and TV with all of the "features" for picture enhancement etc.) I did try call of the possible settings on the firestick to no noticeable improvement.

Currently i am subscribed to Hawaiiantel fiber with 500 down and 300 up. However, a problem at Hawaiintel has me running at 247 down and 150 up.

I put the above information out because i believe that there are many who will look at a particular stream and declare it unsatisfactory while not looking at different options for viewing.

I should also say that the Firestick 4k is fine for movies, but it has failed twice now on streaming football. As i have said it may be the Denon and I will reset it soon to see if things can be improved.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
I should also say that the Firestick 4k is fine for movies, but it has failed twice now on streaming football. As i have said it may be the Denon and I will reset it soon to see if things can be improved.
The test here would be to install the FireTV 4K on the TV to verify that the Denon isn't trashing its output. That's part of the magic of dongles; they're easy to move around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got an email alert from DBSTALK for this topic and, after reading the prior posts, decided to jump in here with some reactions.

I streamed the game on three 4K capable TV's last night and the game was visually gorgeous. No glitches at all on the video.
The sound from the crowd seemed muffled though...
Overall tho, well done by Amazon. I'm sure there will be tweaks going forward but for their first regular season game, it worked well for me.
As someone with a truly lousy Internet service from T-mobile and their mandated hardware (Franklin T-10 "Mobile HotSpot") I had fairly low expectations, particularly with this caveat from them:

"...Deprioritized mobile hotspots are still connected to the internet, but are provided service at slower speeds... Our mobile hotspots work best for desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones. Unfortunately, they do NOT work best for streaming on televisions or for game systems."

That said, my game-time live action experience came through beautifully via my ROKU Ultra.
With the exception of low-level audio the entire time, video quality stabilized (after the pre-game foolishness) and stayed strong and clear the whole game.

Happily I didn't have to power-cycle the blasted modem even once -- an all too common necessity during hockey games this past spring and always at the worst possible times.

...Hate to rain on the "streaming won't work" parade, but streaming worked, and worked well. I look foreword to see how Amazon tweaks it as the season goes on.
Yessir, some tweaking is expected but, largely, very minor stuff.
Even with my crappy connectivity, yes it "worked, and worked well."

As for those comments on age and one's technical literacy...
If you go on Twitter and search:
TNF Prime
You will find young people were equally flummoxed.
I'm ancient, but tech stupidity is an equal opportunity affliction.
With gentle admonition this is really a matter of ignorance -- not stupidity -- at any age. Or, as it's been said:
"Ignorance can be conquered by education; stupidity is permanent, immutable."

No glitches for me. Cable modem, 300 Mbs, Comcast. East coast. BTW, I am 71, a member of the “older generation” and tech savvy.
Same here at a glorious age of 72 1/2.

Started playing with "A/V" hardware over 50 years ago, mating the earphone output jack of a 12" b&w TV to my SANSUI 5000a receiver (a very bad idea for my KLH speakers) in order to "experience" the Bears and Lions on a first season MNF broadcast with friends.
First time worked just fine but the next week my Packer-fan friends asked me to turn it up a bit and that was "Goodbye!" to the left speaker's woofer.
Live and learn.

So, to me, the whole question of "tech savvy" is only a matter of one's motivation to learn.
No matter what age you are.

·
Administrator
503 Posts
Picture quality was excellent, but I did have a few instances of buffering in the second half. I was using a wired connection to my TV. I have AT&T Gb fiber service, I stream a lot of video every day, and I almost never have buffering over wired connections.
That was my son's glitchy experience as well. No Wi-Fi involved. A hardwired AppleTV 4K via CAT6 to a gigabit ISP. Zero glitching on any other content including Amazon. The issues began with the game and ended with the game.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I have directTV. How do I watch the game without streaming it? I want to DVR it so I can watch it when I get home.
You can't with DIRECTV unless you are in the local area of one of the teams playing. If you are it will be on a local network channel.

If you have Amazon Prime you can set it to record the whole season to the cloud and go back and watch the games at any time but it will be streaming of the recorded game.

·
Super Moderator
53,871 Posts
I have directTV. How do I watch the game without streaming it? I want to DVR it so I can watch it when I get home.
Unfortunately, unless you live in the home market of one of the two teams playing that Thursday night the game is only available via streaming. (Businesses using DIRECTV for Business can view the games but not residential customers.)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
I have directTV. How do I watch the game without streaming it?
Typically no (unless it is "local" as b4pjoe points out).

If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can stream it at any time but you'll want to set it up for recording as documented in item 12 of this FAQ:

·
Mentor
550 Posts
“Our first exclusive TNF broadcast delivered the most watched night of primetime in the U.S. in the history of Prime Video,” the VP Prime Video, Global Head of Sports, also told colleagues in the memo (read it below). “This is a massive achievement. During our TNF broadcast, we also saw the biggest three hours for U.S. Prime sign ups ever in the history of Amazon – including Prime Day, Cyber Monday, and Black Friday.”
End-customer performance in streaming is based, in part, upon the end user's ability to stream. Based on the sample audience on this board, that ability varies greatly. While Jeff Bezos controls many things in this big world, the entire Internet isn't one of them. If everything worked perfectly, there would still be five people who had some sort of issue, took to Twitter with it, and an article would appear on some website claiming "Thursday Night Football A Failure For NFL Viewers." Even for a venture as big as Amazon, you can sometimes only control what you can control. It's up to the NFL to determine if the product being offered is worth it to the end-customer.

That being said, if there's any truth to this statement, then it's a huge success for Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
53,871 Posts
Amazon's metrics surely aren't the arbiter of Amazon's end-customer performance.
The owners being happy is a good thing. Returning viewers would probably give a better view of long term success. But Amazon gets to set the goals for measuring success. I believe they are getting their money's worth out of their investment.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,524 Posts
Amazon is “declaring victory”. Which is what PR press flacks do. It doesn’t really mean anything. The vaunted ratings, which it is paying Nielsen to include TNF in, are “delayed indefinitely” (that means they are lower than expected) and the technical issues are mounting.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
Amazon is “declaring victory”. Which is what PR press flacks do. It doesn’t really mean anything. The vaunted ratings, which it is paying Nielsen to include TNF in, are “delayed indefinitely” (that means they are lower than expected) and the technical issues are mounting.
Or there were 13 million

·
Super Moderator
53,871 Posts
101 - 120 of 122 Posts