DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Founder
17,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is basically the end of AMC as we know it.
-------------------------------------------------------------

After adding a slow but steady infusion of modern films over the past two years, American Movie Classics will abandon its classic pedigree this fall to offer more contemporary and younger-skewing movies.

The programming transformation, officially announced Friday, will include more original series and specials.

It will also be accompanied by additional advertising breaks for the once-commercial-free network and 'minimal' rate-fee increases, AMC Networks president Kate McEnroe said.

Full Story

· New Texan
11,467 Posts
From http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20020513/102127370600.html (courtesy of DVDTalk)....

Kate McEnroe, president of AMC Networks, said she had to stuff extra blurbs into the schedule for two reasons:

= Cable operators, groaning under the weight of the huge license fees they pay for ESPN, TNT, Disney Channel and regional sports networks, are refusing to pony up anything more than minuscule cost-of-living increases to networks like AMC.

= This cable-operator reluctance has forced AMC to harvest more of its revenues from advertising to pay the bills for newer movies and for the movie-related informational programming that will be a big part of the new strategy. To get the rights to more recent titles, AMC has to go up against aggressive bidders like TBS, TNT, USA, FX and TNN.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
This is sad AMC was once a decent channel :(

· Legend
112 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Mehs
This is sad AMC was once a decent channel :(
Very true. AMC's demise started when Turner Classic came into existence. Ted Turner had quietly bought the rights to most of the movies that AMC was leasing and TCM abruptly grabbed all of those titles leaving AMC with a seriously weakened movie roster. I absolutely refuse to watch movies that are shown on channels that interrupt them for commercial breaks. To that end, I haven't watched AMC in quite some time now so this latest move by them has no real effect on me. But, in reading the article that Chris, so kindly, provided the link for, I was intrigued and given some hope by the following sentence. To wit: "For classic-movie aficionados, AMC will debut a commercial-free, digital service, AMC Hollywood Classics, in October, featuring films from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s." This sounds like the old AMC to me. I hope that DirecTV picks-up this new service.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
I hope E* gets it, I like watching old war movies, thats basically the only thing I watch on AMC and TCM once in a while Ill watch some of the action movies. But the best part of all is most if not all movies are in OAR!

· Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
me, i can NEVER get enough veiwings of El Dorado, Rio Bravo, and the Sons of Katie Elder(someone at AMC seems to agree with that for Rio Bravo obviously:D )-having said that-unless it's a flick I really really really want to see, I don't watch amc very much anymore because of the commercial break half way thru anything they show(one kudis tho-i don't think i have seen a bowfleex commercial on amc YET, but then i don't watch it very much anymore to make a real determonation)

· Banned
11,498 Posts
For the past few days Ive beeing pressing the info a lot on AMC to see the years the movies were made. A lot were in the late 80s to mid 90s, 1996 being the most recent. This is not good!

· Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
and knowing amc, they probably cut jennifer beal's body double scene....

· Legend
181 Posts
I agree with all the comments.

Maybe Dish and Directv should carry more premium channels as its the only place without ads. Plus its the advantage digital cable has. I know Cinemax has launched channels like 5StarMax, there is Starz! Cinema (not on Directv).

· Hall Of Fame
1,118 Posts
I like the idea of Vivendi Universal making 2 of the 5 needed channels on Dish Network some movie channels. I heard from a lady at Vivendi that they are strongly considering a foreign movie channel, and that would be kinda cool. Another basic movie channel highlightly the best movies from the 80's and 90's would be rather cool too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.