DBSTalk Forum banner

Who were YOUR favorites tonight?!

• Jessica Sanchez

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
Jessica sang great on three of her songs, Philip sang great on two. I don't think his first song was that great.

That being said, I absolutely LOVED the Philip Philips original song ... Randy was so right, it evoked Mumford and Sons, and for me erased criticism that he's nothing but a Dave Matthews imitator. I can now see Philip singing albums like this last song - and being very successful.

I have a feeling Jessica will win this...

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drew2k said:
Jessica sang great on three of her songs, Philip sang great on two. I don't think his first song was that great.

That being said, I absolutely LOVED the Philip Philips original song ... Randy was so right, it evoked Mumford and Sons, and for me erased criticism that he's nothing but a Dave Matthews imitator. I can now see Philip singing albums like this last song - and being very successful.
It will be interesting to hear what Phillip's original music is like...

You pretty much mirrored what I've read online... Jessica won rounds one and two, and Phillip won round three.

Drew2k said:
I have a feeling Jessica will win this...
Not really directed at you, but...

I've heard Phillip's lines are just as buggy as last week? How about Jessica's?

~Alan

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
Jessica Round One....Phillip lightly won Round Two...Jessica fizzled out Round Three. Phillip will likely win.
I obviously still haven't watched it yet...

However, I find it hard to believe that Phillip won Round Two when his song choice was "Moving Out" and Jessica's was "The Prayer."

Hopefully I'll find out soon... :rolleyes: :(

~Alan

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Alan:

I suspect both Phillip and Jessica will end up with record deals, along with a couple of others in the Top 12.

It seems alot of these "competition" shows come down to "peaking at the right time". I had to remind myself that Jessica is only 16 years old last night - she has quite the voice.

In this case though, on the last big night to strut their stuff...Jessica started out strong but faded, while Phillip started off slow and slammed it in the end. For that reason...I would believe that momentum will carry Phillip to the top.

·
Legend
266 Posts
Let me just say I hate the fact that the contestants have to sing an "original" song written for them dictated by Idol and be judged on it. A contestant could be severly hurt in this competition at the end just because someone else gave them a song that was not right for their voice or style. Sure let them sing the song at the final show, but don't judge them on something beyond their control.

Now off the soapbox.... I think Phillip has this in the bag given the crowds reactions last night and his unique quality that Jessica just doesn't seem to posses.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Holydoc said:
Let me just say I hate the fact that the contestants have to sing an "original" song written for them dictated by Idol and be judged on it. A contestant could be severely hurt in this competition at the end just because someone else gave them a song that was not right for their voice or style. Sure let them sing the song at the final show, but don't judge them on something beyond their control.

Now off the soapbox.... I think Phillip has this in the bag given the crowds reactions last night and his unique quality that Jessica just doesn't seem to posses.
I'd agree with all those observations, and would add one more.

This year, the weight of the constant manipulatory statements "ranking or stating who won" by judges every single week surely influenced voters along the way to get tot he top group.

It's one thing to say so-and-so did a great job or a poor one...it's another to set the table for how voters should rank contestants - it almost undermines the voting purpose. That concept needs to get canned.

·
Legend
309 Posts
Jessica only does well when she is imitating someone else. Any other contestant would be chastised for not trying to be original, but she got a pass all season. Try to get her to sing an original song and she flops, just like last night. She is not an artist, she is just a singer, and a pretty bland one at that. There is nothing about her that sets her apart from other singers.

Phillip should win, but who knows with the current voting system. He may be better off with a less restrictive recording contract. One where he has control.

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
If folks vote just based on last night's performances (a longshot, I know), I'd say it's gonna be photo finish.

I thought Jessica won the Nigel round hands down. And while I'm generally not a fan of the "original songs" part of the Idol finales, Phillip's "Home" suited him perfectly, IMHO, while Jessica's song choice was forgettable.

Round two was a tougher call. Hearing it for the second time, I'm growing to like Phillip's cover of "Moving Out". My wife still hates it, though, compared to the original. Jessica's "Prayer" wasn't the best I've heard, but it was very good, IMHO.

I think had Phillip instead chosen to sing "We've Got Tonight" again, that would have guaranteed him a win. Because he didn't, I think the voting can go either way.

As always, it comes down to song choice.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Steve, I thought P2 won last night hands down, way ahead, don't look back. I disagree that it was a photo finish. To me, it was close all season, but P2 put on the afterburners for last night's show. In fact, I thought his last song - the original - was absolutely his best performance, period.

Also, I think P2 should win at this point, but over the years there are a lot of "shoulds" that turned into "didn'ts." Last year was easy. This year, not so much.

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
Doug Brott said:
Also, I think P2 should win at this point, but over the years there are a lot of "shoulds" that turned into "didn'ts."
That's true. To machavez's point, someone just commented on a talk show that if P2 wins, the last four idol winners will have been "white guys with guitars". Will be interesting to see if the streak continues.

·
Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,287 Posts
"Richard" said:
Jessica only does well when she is imitating someone else. Any other contestant would be chastised for not trying to be original, but she got a pass all season. Try to get her to sing an original song and she flops, just like last night. She is not an artist, she is just a singer, and a pretty bland one at that. There is nothing about her that sets her apart from other singers.

Phillip should win, but who knows with the current voting system. He may be better off with a less restrictive recording contract. One where he has control.
Missy and I feel exactly the same way. Jessica is a karaoke imitator of other singer's style.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Steve said:
That's true. To machavez's point, someone just commented on a talk show that if P2 wins, the last four idol winners will have been "white guys with guitars". Will be interesting to see if the streak continues.
This is why the 12-year old girl vote is so important ...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.