DBSTalk Forum banner

Who were YOUR favorites tonight?!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
21,543 Posts
I voted for the two "J's". I thought it was a pretty even night going into the last two performances, but they both deserved the standing O's they got from the judges, IMHO.

Especially Jessica. I have no doubt we saw what impressed Jimmy so much in the practice session. That could have been the performance of the season... by anyone.
 

· Chancellor
Joined
·
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts:

ROUND #1

PHILLIP I thought he did an admirable job... I think CCR is right in his wheelhouse... I was kind of surprised that Skylar did them over Phillip last week, and I thought he did very well with them tonight.

HOLLIE I thought she did awesome! VERY GOOD!!

JOSHUA Vocally, I enjoyed it, but it was such a different style from the original that it fell a little flat to me.

JESSICA: AWESOME JOB!!

SOLO WINNERS: Jessica, Hollie, & Phillip

DUETS

JOSHUA & PHILLIP: I LOVED this! Very good song choice from the two of them! I still can't help but hear Sara Evans tell Adam Levine "This song is dirty" every time I hear it though... LOL!!

HOLLIE & JESSICA: To quote a favorite quote of Randy's, "It was just ahright to me". I loved the swings, but the song was a little odd...

DUET WINNERS: Joshua & Phillip

ROUND #2

PHILLIP I don't know the song to my knowledge, but I REALLY enjoyed it. One of my favorites by him...

HOLLIE: Emotionally, I thought she was feeling it, but I didn't care for the arrangement. Had they slowed the song down, I think she would have done a VERY good job with it, but I don't think it worked like she needed it to...

JOSHUA: I thought he did an AMAZING job, but I was somewhat let down by it. I think it had to do with the fact that I saw Juliet Simms do SUCH AN AMAZING JOB of it on "The Voice", and I really kind of preferred her version of it.

JESSICA: UN-FREAKING-BELIEVEABLE!!! :)

FAVORITES OF THE NIGHT: Jessica & Phillip
WORST OF THE NIGHT: Joshua (Round #1) & Hollie (Round #2)
BOTTOM TWO PREDICTION: Hollie and ??????
WHO'S GOING HOME?: Hollie :(

~Alan
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
I think Jessica is in jeopardy from last night.

Her first song bombed, her participation in the duet was very weak and dragged it down while Hollie was solid in it, and the only thing that was positive all night for Jessica was the last song (which she over-sang somewhat). Not a good night for her.

I suspect the 2 girls will be in the bottom, and Jessica may possibly be a surprise departure. The fact that the judges used their save on her is still puzzling. She's amazing for 16 at times...but not ready for prime time. Hollie is still borderline, although she had a much better overall night than Jessica.

Phillip was Phillip. Take it or leave it.

Joshua was Joshua. Also take it or leave it.

The common thing about the 2 guys is that they are both "niche" singers for the most part. They will likely have a loyal audience in those genre areas going forward, but they're not versatile enough to expand beyond that.

Joshua could be another Rueben - winning it all, but not successful later in terms of selling his music.
 

· Chancellor
Joined
·
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
I think Jessica is in jeopardy from last night.

Her first song bombed, her participation in the duet was very weak and dragged it down while Hollie was solid in it, and the only thing that was positive all night for Jessica was the last song (which she over-sang somewhat). Not a good night for her.

I suspect the 2 girls will be in the bottom, and Jessica may possibly be a surprise departure. The fact that the judges used their save on her is still puzzling. She's amazing for 16 at times...but not ready for prime time. Hollie is still borderline, although she had a much better overall night than Jessica.
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

WOW!!! Everybody I talked to last night felt that Jessica and Phillip won the night... even someone I know who's not the biggest fan of Jessica said that they LOVED her second song. Pretty much everyone I know felt that it should be Hollie's time to go... aside from the few people who really don't like Joshua of course.

Why you wonder why the judges used their save on her is mind-blowing puzzling... they would have been CRAZY had they not! Pretty much everyone I've talked to locally who are cheering on Phillip thinks that Jessica SHOULD win...

~Alan
 

· Chancellor
Joined
·
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last week, DialIdol had Skyler Laine being the only contestant safe, with the rest too close to call, but Phillip at the very bottom by a fairly considerable margin, so we obviously know they were not to be trusted that week after getting it right two weeks in a row. This week:

  1. Jessica Sanchez
  2. Hollie Cavanagh
  3. Phillip Phillips
  4. Joshua Ledet

This week, Jessica is marked as "SAFE" by a large margin, but the rest are too close to call. Hollie and Phillip are almost tied, and Joshua's sitting at the bottom by himself.

Prior to the voting on the West Coast, Hollie was at the top, Phillip was in second place, and Jessica was in third place behind Joshua who remained stationary all night.

~Alan
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Alan Gordon said:
WOW!!! Everybody I talked to last night felt that Jessica and Phillip won the night... even someone I know who's not the biggest fan of Jessica said that they LOVED her second song. Pretty much everyone I've talked to locally who are cheering on Phillip thinks that Jessica SHOULD win...
You must chill with a different crowd... :lol:

Actually, I had said earlier Phillip was himself - that's not a bad thing...and Jessica was good on her 2nd song as well. However, until then...she was a disappointment for the night. A few judges even commented on that for what that's worth.
Alan Gordon said:
Last week, DialIdol had Skyler Laine being the only contestant safe, with the rest too close to call, but Phillip at the very bottom by a fairly considerable margin, so we obviously know they were not to be trusted that week after getting it right two weeks in a row. This week:

  1. Jessica Sanchez
  2. Hollie Cavanagh
  3. Phillip Phillips
  4. Joshua Ledet

This week, Jessica is marked as "SAFE" by a large margin, but the rest are too close to call. Hollie and Phillip are almost tied, and Joshua's sitting at the bottom by himself.

Prior to the voting on the West Coast, Hollie was at the top, Phillip was in second place, and Jessica was in third place behind Joshua who remained stationary all night.
I could live with those results, but highly doubt that's the way it will turn out. I bet the list is upside down. ;)
 

· Chancellor
Joined
·
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
You must chill with a different crowd... :lol:
Thankfully... ;)

hdtvfan0001 said:
Actually, I had said earlier Phillip was himself - that's not a bad thing...and Jessica was good on her 2nd song as well. However, until then...she was a disappointment for the night. A few judges even commented on that for what that's worth.
I don't remember the judges criticizing her first performance... only her duet with Hollie in which Hollie took some criticism herself.

~Alan
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Alan Gordon said:
Thankfully... ;)
Yeah...my posse doesn't eat beer and pretzels for breakfast. :D
I don't remember the judges criticizing her first performance... only her duet with Hollie in which Hollie took some criticism herself.
They commented not so much as criticism as just unimpressed. On the duet...Jessica came across as an absentee participant (like she wanted to get it over with)...dragging them both down in the process.

I forecast a surprise last week, but expect much less of a surprise this week. I still suspect your posted list may be inverted. If Jessica goes, I would not really be that surprised.
 

· Chancellor
Joined
·
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
Yeah...my posse doesn't eat beer and pretzels for breakfast. :D
While I know many people who do, I don't really hang out with them. Besides, they would be cheering on Phillip and Hollie for obvious reasons... :(

No... my point was, while the people I hang around with and talk to about AI have different tastes, they all seem to pretty much be on the same page when it comes to the contestants remaining. Joshua is the only one left in which there is a great divide in opinion.

hdtvfan0001 said:
They commented not so much as criticism as just unimpressed. On the duet...Jessica came across as an absentee participant (like she wanted to get it over with)...dragging them both down in the process.
I don't think it was the best song choice for her, but I thought it showed a different side of her vocally. I disagreed with the duet... to me they came off as equals... and I don't mean that as a compliment!

hdtvfan0001 said:
I forecast a surprise last week, but expect much less of a surprise this week. I still suspect your posted list may be inverted. If Jessica goes, I would not really be that surprised.
I put up above that I'm concerned about her this week, but I'd still be shocked if she went, though I wouldn't be TOO surprised given that's she already been eliminated once. Nah... everyone I know is expecting Hollie, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Joshua go before tonight.

~Alan
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Alan Gordon said:
While I know many people who do, I don't really hang out with them. Besides, they would be cheering on Phillip and Hollie for obvious reasons...
Phillip yes, Hollie no way. ;)

Which is OK too...some call that breakfast of champions. :D

I have yet to find a single person who likes Joshua's "singing". Other than him, the test of the crowd has a mixed bag of favorites pretty much like your group.
 

· Chancellor
Joined
·
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A couple of comments I wanted to make:

PHILLIP: I thought it was COOL to see Phillip wearing a House of China II T-Shirt last night. While I've heard good things about a newer Chinese restaurant in Albany, House of China II is my favorite Chinese restaurant I've ever eaten in. However, what REALLY got my attention was when Ryan and Phillip were talking about El Maya's on Old Dawson Road. While I've eaten at San Joe's more than El Maya (SJ has a Dawson restaurant), I've eaten at El Maya on several occasions, and my mouth just dropped when Ryan started talking about the Speedy Gonzales. That being said... while I think El Maya serves some EXCELLENT food, I have to say, I'm a little surprised that one would be in Los Angeles and missing Mexican food from Albany, GA?! :confused:

JOSHUA: Really?! You miss the humidity?! I've always been jealous of people who live where the humidity isn't so high, and you miss it!!!

~Alan
 

· Chancellor
Joined
·
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
Phillip yes, Hollie no way. ;)
I was referring to the similarities that Phillip and Hollie share... so yeah, of the individuals I was talking about, their favorites would be THOSE two individuals! :(

hdtvfan0001 said:
I have yet to find a single person who likes Joshua's "singing". Other than him, the test of the crowd has a mixed bag of favorites pretty much like your group.
I know several... I was disappointed in him last night. As I stated, his performance of the JB song fell flat after hearing Juliet Simms perform it on "The Voice" last week. I spoke to several who felt the same way, though my Mom actually preferred Joshua's, so everybody has a difference of opinion. I thought he did great with it, but I was disappointed due to the comparison.

As for my group, Jessica is pretty much the only consensus... some thinks Phillip should be the runner-up, others think Joshua.

~Alan
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Alan Gordon said:
I know several... I was disappointed in him last night. As I stated, his performance of the JB song fell flat after hearing Juliet Simms perform it on "The Voice" last week. I spoke to several who felt the same way, though my Mom actually preferred Joshua's, so everybody has a difference of opinion. I thought he did great with it, but I was disappointed due to the comparison.
He seems to be one of those "really like him or really don't like him" performers. I'd agree that there is disparity in the others in terms of support...so tonight should be "interesting".
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts

· Chancellor
Joined
·
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
WOW - that's unfortunate for sure...he did look like he was trying hard just to make it though the show at times. We'll pray for him - it's serious business.

Perhaps that might shift tonight into no elimination until next week, with Phillip basically "withdrawing". That's not something most folks want to see.
No... he's having surgery AFTER the finale...

I mentioned something about his health the other day:

Alan Gordon said:
On a related note, I was just told two rumors about Phillip. I don't know how truthful they are... the gossip machine isn't always reliable, but they were interesting nonetheless.

I'll keep the second one to myself until Thursday at the earliest, but the second rumor is that Jimmy was in no way fooling about Phillip's health status... and that he has a lot of friends and family concerned about his health right now. :eek2:
~Alan
 

· Retired Member
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
I think Jessica is in jeopardy from last night.

Her first song bombed, her participation in the duet was very weak and dragged it down while Hollie was solid in it, and the only thing that was positive all night for Jessica was the last song (which she over-sang somewhat). Not a good night for her.

I suspect the 2 girls will be in the bottom, and Jessica may possibly be a surprise departure. The fact that the judges used their save on her is still puzzling. She's amazing for 16 at times...but not ready for prime time. Hollie is still borderline, although she had a much better overall night than Jessica.

Phillip was Phillip. Take it or leave it.

Joshua was Joshua. Also take it or leave it.

The common thing about the 2 guys is that they are both "niche" singers for the most part. They will likely have a loyal audience in those genre areas going forward, but they're not versatile enough to expand beyond that.

Joshua could be another Rueben - winning it all, but not successful later in terms of selling his music.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: - you're joking, right?
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top