Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Kris Allen

Votes: 37 45.7%
  • Matt Giraud

Votes: 31 38.3%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
21,543 Posts
I think they were all good tonite... tho some not as good as some of the judges thought, IMHO.

I don't think anyone's performance will change the way their fans felt about them last week, so I think the key to survival will be getting Lil's and Anoop's votes. I don't think fans of either will gravitate towards Allison, which means she will be in trouble tomorrow night. I hope she stays, tho. I'd really like her to win.

I have to say at this point in the competition, however, it's Adam... and then everyone else. Like him or not, as an entertainer, he's a cut above the other four. Just my .02. /steve

· Registered
14,213 Posts
Allison really was good tonight, but for the first time all season I saw something to like about Danny.

I think Simon is playing games with his support of Matt. I don't believe Simon is sincere at all - Simon just wants Matt's fans to not call in by making them think Matt is safe.

Simon also commented that three of the contestants are there to win. I think he's referring to Allison, Danny and Adam. Anyone interpret his comment differently?

· Lifetime Achiever
10,464 Posts
I was really disappointed in the way the audio was mixed for Danny's performance. The band seemed to trump his vocals the entire song... especially at the end. I may download on iTunes tomorrow just to see if I can hear him better.

· Icon
961 Posts
Disco night was a disappointment for me but Rat Pack night was better than expected. Not great but better than expected from low expectations. I thought they all performed their songs well, with some flavor of their own style mixed in.

For me, Kris was the most in tune with the era. He stayed within the song, took care with the words, and sang naturally. The kind of performance which wears well over time but suffers by comparison to Big Moment stage stars like Adam. Kris isn't about that, for better and for worse.

Allison sang well, as usual, but in this music the lyrics are very important and I was mildly put off by her inability or unwillingness to caress and pronounce the words without distorting them. In rock music her way of squeezing and clipping words is no problem at all for me. In post-big band it lands oddly on the ear and doesn't wear well, at least for me. Hopefully she can get back to her strengths next week and really have a big night. I will be very surprised if she goes home tomorrow, and disappointed.

Danny had his strongest night since Jesus Take The Wheel imo. I loved how the song was arranged and opened with a solo trombone. In that moment it struck me how much Danny's voice is like a trombone with the big tone and velvet burr. I think it was purposely opened like that for that reason. Danny was in his zone and had some soaring vocals when he opened the throttle with that huge array of instruments backing him including the three vocalists. Too much? Maybe, but that's the Danny effect and if he is to compete with Adam he needs to martial forces too.

Matt did his thing. This was right in his wheelhouse so if he couldn't compete tonight then he's done. I noticed one vocal run that didn't quite land right but other than that it sounded ok. I'm just not a fan of Matt's style, a subjective aversion. He's a good musician but I hope he goes home tomorrow so we can focus on the four best remaining singers left.

Adam did his thing, and then some. It was too much for me but that stratospheric high note he hit and held, seemingly forever, at the end of his song, was definitely a Big Moment. So Big in fact that an Idol cameraman had time during that note to climb up a bunch of stairs to the stage, circle around Adam, and walk back to stage front, all while Adam was locked in on triple high G or whatever incredible note he was sustaining up there. For me, however, this was too much. Too much like showing off. Definitely a sustained "Wow" moment though, I can't deny that. The guy is a freak of nature in terms of what he can do with his voice, and one helluva showman.

Oh, and just when I thought the "mentor" couldn't get any worse than Quentin Tarantino, Idol trots out Jamie Foxx. Getting right up into the the singers' faces like he did was ridiculous. Also, I'll bet that the reason Foxx called Matt Giraud back into the practice room for one more piece of advice was because the piano accompanist, not Foxx, suggested adjusting the key downward.

· Legend
144 Posts
Without question is Adam. He has incredible vocal skills.

His performances when he sang Tracks of My Tears and Mad World showed he's a level or two above everyone else. I think that Smokey Robinson summed it up when he gave Adam a standing ovation and just kept saying "Yeah, Yeah" after Adam's performance.

Adam should win - of course weird things happen on Idol. I still can't understand how David Cook had 12 million votes more than David Archuleta. Something was up with that one.

· Icon
961 Posts
There was some definitely some tension at the judges table last night. Randy and Simon were disagreeing and sniping at each other. I don't think Simon liked it when both Randy and Kara were praising Kris so much, and then discounting Simon's criticism. But it's hard to take Simon seriously when he starts out on Kris by saying that his performance was "wet." Huh? Wet?? I thought maybe that was some British thing but apparently not. Ryan even inquired after the comments as to what "wet" meant. Simon's reply after an awkward pause: "Not dry." That had to be embarrassing for Simon and he retaliated later against Randy by making fun of how Randy said Adam was a bit too theatrical. Something like; 'What did you expect? Saying that Adam is too theatrical is like being surprised that cows moo.' That was a little silly imo because Randy was simply saying that for him (Randy) it was too much, too over the top. Kara though had the best response of the whole night with her attraction/repulsion reactions she felt while listening to Adam. She might have gotten into trouble with Simon too though when she said to him "Simon, I love you but you're crazy." She was reacting to his weak criticism of Kris. Very similar words got a girl named Megan in big trouble a couple of weeks ago. But the bigger tension was with Simon and Randy. Will fisticuffs follow? Simon better hope not :D

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Drew2k said:
I think Simon is playing games with his support of Matt. I don't believe Simon is sincere at all - Simon just wants Matt's fans to not call in by making them think Matt is safe.
Interesting point. You could be on to something. And maybe the reverse for Allison, when he told her she might be in trouble.

VFTW has latched onto Matt.

DialIdol had Danny (21.26) edging out Adam (20.89) and Allison (20.22) for top honors, with Kris (18.2) and Matt (16.42) bringing up the rear.

/steve

· Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
For me, It was a total "who cares?" night. For the life of me, I can't understand why they would use such a limited genre at this point in the show. These are the top 5 contestants, why make them perform songs that are so singular in their interpretations? For weeks we hear the judges criticize different contestants for not doing anything different with the song or praising them for making it current or "their own". Then they throw away a week by making them perform songs that can only be done one way.
As much as it hurts, I have to give Adam credit for at least "Adamizing" his a little, even though Randy chose this week to notice that his performance was a little "theatrical":confused:. The rest of them were like watching performances on a Jerry Lewis Telethon.

· Hall Of Fame
4,632 Posts
BattleScott said:
For me, It was a total "who cares?" night. For the life of me, I can't understand why they would use such a limited genre at this point in the show. These are the top 5 contestants, why make them perform songs that are so singular in their interpretations? For weeks we hear the judges criticize different contestants for not doing anything different with the song or praising them for making it current or "their own". Then they throw away a week by making them perform songs that can only be done one way.
As much as it hurts, I have to give Adam credit for at least "Adamizing" his a little, even though Randy chose this week to notice that his performance was a little "theatrical":confused:. The rest of them were like watching performances on a Jerry Lewis Telethon.
I bet Frank Sinatra turned over in his grave after hearing that. I can only imagine what Dean Martin would say after that performance. :lol:

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suspect that Kris goes home tonight .. Matt did well, IMHO. They all did well, IMHO but I was not blown away by any of them tonight .. Adam was still clearly the best. OK I did think of one thing that was very good and it came from Adam and wasn't his singing.

That was a great, well-timed entrance down the stairs by Adam. The red backdrop and Adam in the White/Black .. That was very good. As for being blown away? I suspect that has more to do with me and the genre than anything else.

Allison got her game back and while Simon didn't think she showed the passion, I do think she improved on her likability last night .. Kris, IMHO, went backward on likability but I can't put my finger on why.

Either way, it was a very good 5 performances last night.

· Hall Of Fame
2,208 Posts
Doug Brott said:
I suspect that Kris goes home tonight .. Matt did well, IMHO. They all did well, IMHO but I was not blown away by any of them tonight .. Adam was still clearly the best. OK I did think of one thing that was very good and it came from Adam and wasn't his singing.

That was a great, well-timed entrance down the stairs by Adam. The red backdrop and Adam in the White/Black .. That was very good. As for being blown away? I suspect that has more to do with me and the genre than anything else.

Allison got her game back and while Simon didn't think she showed the passion, I do think she improved on her likability last night .. Kris, IMHO, went backward on likability but I can't put my finger on why.

Either way, it was a very good 5 performances last night.
Have to afree that Kris goes home tonight.

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
I don't Kris will be going home. He has too good of voice and the young girls love him I am sure. He did have some trouble in the middle of the song in my opinion but was a solid performance. Infact.. All the performances were solid with Adams being once again head and shoulders above the rest.. The control on that long note was amazing in my opinion.

Personally I think Matt will go home and it was not because of last nights performance. Matt had a excellent performance. I think it will be because in terms of that likability factor Matt lacks in that area and given the talent at this point this will make the difference.

Allison also has that, but she is also the only woman left and she is different than the other contestents.

Bottom 3 - Allison, Kris, Matt

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
spartanstew said:
If so, this could be the first time our poll is wrong, right?
Our poll got it wrong last week (barely) ..

Lil - 0
Matt - 5
Anoop - 7

Lil & Anoop went home

It very well could be that matt goes home .. Our poll seems to have him squarely at the bottom of the list.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.