DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, OK, the replacement unit was activated OK, and seems to be stable, good signal strength, etc. Since my package is an older one that only provides some of the "Choice Extra" channels, and there are ones I don't presently receive that I would be interested in, I spoke with a CSR to upgrade the service to the full Extra package. The CSR could not get it to work, their own computers locked up and they had to give up. Wow, makes me wonder sometimes!

I guess I could go on-line (another day) and try for the programming change myself, but it might accidentally convert my service to all Klingon programming for all I know!

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
I don't understand.

Why would it amuse you or make you wonder when the CSR's computer locked up? You've never had a computer lock up?

If you called Dell and their computer locked up, that might be funny. If you called D* and during the call their satellite picture went out, that might be funny. But I don't see the correlation between D* CSR's and their computers/internet.

· AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You misunderstand me. I am not amused at their computer lock-ups. I'm amused that if they don't know that there is a nightly shut down for upgrades and updates, that CSR doesn't know that; and that even if there is a computer lock up that the CSR seemed totally clueless as to what to do. One would think they are instructed more fully in system operations, but that's thinking for you.....

A big company says "sure, I can help you with that...." then can't figure out how to fix their own problem....it's amusing on some level.

I do computer tech service all day; perhaps it's a cynical attitude after seeing what other "techs" leave behind, causing no resolution to a problem, or even more trouble that before they touched the system.....

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
Rivergoat said:
You misunderstand me. I am not amused at their computer lock-ups. I'm amused that if they don't know that there is a nightly shut down for upgrades and updates, that CSR doesn't know that;
but you didn't even know that when you made your post (and title), so I don't think that had anything to do with your amusement.

The CSR's are not computer techs, of course they wouldn't know what to do when their computer locks up.

· AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crap for dial up service at home; no high speed available where I live unless I put up another dish for that and won't at this time.

Thread closed as far as I'm concerned, thank you for all your comments.

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
I recently had an experience where I tried to "refresh" the programming on my account to get a newly received DVR online, but the web site kept telling me the command failed. I called a CSR and they told me their system was down and they couldn't send update commands to ANYBODY. And this wasn't a "weekly update" as it was 10AM in the morning on a weekday.

Computers crash. Servers crash. And theirs did!

A few hours later, I tried again and it was back online and my refresh went through via a request on the web page.

Just relax, have a soda, read the newspaper, and then try again!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.