DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Godfather
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I've had HR20-700s I have had a recurring problem with FOXHD-OTA which in Louisville is 41-1. Live programs will freeze at various intervals during realtime viewing. When I play back the programs they always play without freezing. This only happens with FoxHD-OTA. It does not happen with Fox HD via the DirecTv feed. It has been consistent over multiple software NRs. This has been going on for more than a year. It happens with my attic mounted antenna and an indoor antenna I use for the 700 in the master bedroom.

Any ideas?

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
I have no ideas but I also have the same kinds of problems with my local Fox station.

It has, and always had, more problems then my other locals. Stuttering auido, momentary freezes in video.

I rarely have problems with NBC/ABC/CBS but always with Fox.

Makes me wonder.....,:scratchin

Mike

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
This really sounds like a problem in the HR20 since the recordings are fine. If you have a TV with an ATSC tuner, you could try that to eliminate (or confirm) the antenna or local broadcaster as being the problem.

And when you say it freezes at various intervals, does it have something of a cadence to it? That could be an MPEG encoding issue. There is a specific problem when digitally converting the broadcaster’s MPEG2 signal to D*’s MPEG4 feed. It causes these stutters and they do tend to have a cadence to them. The only fix is for the broadcaster and D* to work together to correct the issue. But if the recording is unaffected, that wouldn’t seem to be the problem.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
MicroBeta said:
I have no ideas but I also have the same kinds of problems with my local Fox station.

It has, and always had, more problems then my other locals. Stuttering auido, momentary freezes in video.

I rarely have problems with NBC/ABC/CBS but always with Fox.

Makes me wonder.....,:scratchin

Mike
I agree, Mike, and I don't have OTA. Even when I was using SD TiVos, the Fox local was always the worst. Seems to be a lot better lately, tho.

Rich

· Godfather
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rudeney said:
This really sounds like a problem in the HR20 since the recordings are fine. If you have a TV with an ATSC tuner, you could try that to eliminate (or confirm) the antenna or local broadcaster as being the problem.

And when you say it freezes at various intervals, does it have something of a cadence to it? That could be an MPEG encoding issue. There is a specific problem when digitally converting the broadcaster's MPEG2 signal to D*'s MPEG4 feed. It causes these stutters and they do tend to have a cadence to them. The only fix is for the broadcaster and D* to work together to correct the issue. But if the recording is unaffected, that wouldn't seem to be the problem.
I have compared with the ATSC tuners built in to my HD sets. No problem on any of them. I don't normally have an issue with stutter. The picture simply freezes.
I can usually clear it by changing channels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.