DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard that Micheal bought Team Green and is planning on moving it to the IRL. Saw the info on Headline Sports.

But I have also heard that Mario is planning on purchasing a CART team.

If Michael moves TKG to the IRL I think this will unfortunately be a blow from which CART will not recover. They are still on very shaky footing, especially after losing the race in Europe.

I still think it is the best open wheel RACING in the world but I dont know for how much longer.

Has anybody else heard anything?

· Hall Of Fame
1,036 Posts
No, haven't seen a thing. I can't believe Michael would move the team to IRL, he's an excellent road/street course driver. But Indy has a huge pull on these guys and if he thinks racing full time in IRL would give him an advantage in winning Indy, he might do it.
I've heard for some time that Michael does want to be an owner though.

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point Mark!!! I hope nothing happens to CART.

Man, did CART ever flub that whole turbocharged to normally-aspirated to turbocharged flip-flop! Unprofessional to say the least. The loss of Team Green would be pretty devastating to CART.

· Hall Of Fame
1,036 Posts
Flubbed is too kind to describe what they did on the engine rules. Who is supplying engines next year, just Toyota?

It's good to see there is another CART fan out there John. Anyone who thinks road races aren't exciting should be made to watch the Cleveland race at the airport. Some of the races can turn into parades but at Cleveland where they have almost nothing to hit and a track as wide as a runway :) they try some crazy moves.

BTW is Bridgestone going to remain the CART tire or will Firestone come back? I remember seeing you work for Firestone. Works out OK for your employer having 2 open wheel series and 2 brands.

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark, When Bridgestone/Firestone got into Open Wheel Racing, I started watching it and it grew on me. :)
I've been to all the Cleveland races the last few years.

shhh.....don't tell anyone this, but Firestone makes all the Racing tires, we just put Bridgestones name on them. If I'm not mistaken Firestone inked a deal with the IRL through 2005. CART, Im really not sure.

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
I used to go to the Long Beach Grand Prix every year when I lived in the southland. It pains me to see oval racing and I won't watch it at all. CART has been dying over the last few years and I wouldn't hold my breath on them getting over on the IRL. At this point I can only hope for a merger....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.