DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
crashmeister said:
Thanks. That's a good site. It looks like I'm screwed - we have a line of trees (not on my property) that looks like they will be in the way.
I could post a shot of my location, but all you'd see are the trees and not any part of the house.
"Where there is a will", you can get creative. I use a pole in the only location that can get a clear LOS, which is about 50' from the house.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jdspencer said:
With dishpointer you can select to get obstacle elevations.
And also move the location of the dish around your property.
I saw that, but I have no idea how high the trees are. They are big pines, gums and a few others.

My left neighbor had it installed, but the installer had a lot of trouble and had to 'fudge' the install because of low signal quality.

We are on a postage stamp property. 50' from my house is in my neighbor's lounge.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know if the DTV elevation is lower or higher than Dish's ? I currently have Dish and have to cut one tree (that is on my property) every five years or so. I know the angles are different, but I can look at the tree line to get an idea.

Thanks.

· Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
Two things.

1) DirecTV's line of site to their core sat locations of 99w, 101w, and 103w longitude are higher in the sky (46-47.5 degreese elevation) than are Dish's at 110w and 119w (42 and 36 degreese elevation). With the trees around here, that is a big difference. Plus, the look angle is not as wide. Directv also has sats at 110w and 119w, but are not needed for the Atlanta market unless you want Latino or Chinese programming located on 119w.

2) Dish does have the new "eastern arc" group of sats at 61.5w, 72.7w, and 77w. The view to these birds is to the southeast (instead of southwest) for the Atlanta market, and the elevation angles vary from 43.5 to 49.5 degrees. In any case, higher then the western arc birds at 110w/119w.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.