DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· AllStar
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday my HR20 began a new irrritating feature. The Pink Floyd-like circle of leds now cycles on and off. It fades off then fades back on. The old method of turning off the leds no longer works.

Is this part of the recent upgrade?? Anyone else notice this?

Thanks

· Godfather
415 Posts
The only time mine fades in and out like that is when I have a program paused. Otherwise it works like always.

If nothing else, you can try a reboot.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
As medic said... you LED may think you are in a paused state.

Try Pausing, then going back to standard play.
Else, reboot

· Legend
181 Posts
Does anyone think that these are any more than a gimmick? I leave mine turned off all the time as they are way too bright even when at the lowest setting. Even the two other blue leds and the yellow recording indicator are distracting in a darkened room. The blue led was my biggest "hate" on the UltimateTV, time to get the duct tape out I think.

· Legend
122 Posts
15_Off said:
Hi,

Yesterday my HR20 began a new irrritating feature. The Pink Floyd-like circle of leds now cycles on and off. It fades off then fades back on. The old method of turning off the leds no longer works.

Thanks
Is saw the same thing on mine a few weeks back when I saw the "tip" to turn them down so they are not so bright. If I turn them down to one click from being totally off, they continually come on and off as you describe. This is true when watching live TV or something from the list, paused or not paused. In my case, I have to leave them totally bright or totally off.

ejb

· Legend
176 Posts
15_Off said:
Hi,

Thanks
I had this happen too. I tried everything I could think of, FF, RW, paused, unpaused and nothing worked until I thought "What would Earl do?" I hit my the red reset and 30 minutes later it was booted up and I haven't had the problem since.

I agree, the blue lights are too bright and annoying. They should have replaced them with a clock.

· Godfather
415 Posts
EJB said:
If I turn them down to one click from being totally off, they continually come on and off as you describe. This is true when watching live TV or something from the list, paused or not paused. In my case, I have to leave them totally bright or totally off.

ejb
That's weird. I always set mine one level up from totally off, and they work the same as when they're on any other level of brightness.

· Godfather
415 Posts
Andrew_J_M said:
Does anyone think that these are any more than a gimmick? I leave mine turned off all the time as they are way too bright even when at the lowest setting. Even the two other blue leds and the yellow recording indicator are distracting in a darkened room. The blue led was my biggest "hate" on the UltimateTV, time to get the duct tape out I think.
Gimmicky, maybe. It's kind of cool, watching them spin when you FF or REW, or fade in/out when paused. But perhaps for me the novelty just hasn't worn off yet.

At least they give you the option to turn them off if you don't like them.

I wish they'd let you dim them further, but I think they don't want to because if they let you dim them too low, the "trail" of lights that follows the brightest one when the ring spins wouldn't be able to be gradually dimmer; just a guess.

· Legend
325 Posts
I find the LED's to be too bright in any position except "off". I do find it handy as a reboot indicator since after a reboot the little buggers are back on again in all their splendor. And duh, could they not have made the record beacon red instead of that putrid yellow?

· AllStar
90 Posts
I'm not fond of the ring of lights on the HR20. What I don't get is why the R15 has a nice set of diffusers on them to make it look like a contiguous ring. It's a bit more aesthetically pleasing, I think.

Any possibility that a future update could let the power/resolution/record lights dim along with the ring, or is that beyond the reach of the software?

· AllStar
90 Posts
You know, that never occurred to me before....kinda ridiculous, I guess.

It seemed to be the ideal icon since the ring of blue LEDs is sort of iconic for the HR20. It's like the big creepy eye on the original TiVo - I used to think HARDAC everytime I looked at that thing.

But the HR20 is the device that's brought me back to the forums, so there you go.

The DirecTiVo worked TOO well in that respect. I stopped needing to discuss it when they stopped updating the software. I used to sign up for the DirecTiVo betas, so this is all a bit reminiscient of those days.

· Icon
968 Posts
hehe. yeah, i'm not in disagreement with you.. i don't care for them either and they are disabled on my unit. i just got a laugh out of it. ;)

i do my fair share of cursing this unit, but i understand that there will be growing pains and i knew that when i purchased the unit (leased it rather). so i just take it in stride and move on. if it misses a recording, oh well... if it doesn't thats great. i will say that this unit far exceeds my expectations that were set extremely low due to the shoddy R15 i purchased back in the spring.

· AllStar
90 Posts
Yeah, my experiences with it have been largely positive.

It's better than I'd expected it to be, although I don't think it will ever engender the brand-devotion in me that the TiVo did.

I am glad it took a while to get one, though... seems like it's been a rough few weeks for the very first people to get them.

Incidentally, it's not even that I don't like the ring of lights... I just don't like the implementation. If it was dimmer and had the R15's diffuser, it would actually be kinda nice.

I'd probably still turn it off, though. With an open-front cabinet, I like to keep components dim or blank if possible.

One one hand, I do think blue LEDs are really cool and high-tech looking; but on the other hand, they're often overwhelmingly bright and the light they emit is in the wrong part of the visible spectrum for easy readability in displays.

I'll be glad when home theater equipment gets back to red/amber/green.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
Schyler said:
It seemed to be the ideal icon since the ring of blue LEDs is sort of iconic for the HR20. It's like the big creepy eye on the original TiVo - I used to think HARDAC everytime I looked at that thing.
You mean this HARDAC? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.A.R.D.A.C.

BTAS FTW!

· AllStar
90 Posts
BTAS FTW, indeed. :D

Yes, that HARDAC. Best Episode(s) Ever.

Robots to sweep and mop... Robots to make coffee... Robots at the bank...

And the best robots of all, the ones that collect my TV shows for me.

Rossum would be pleased. Zort!

· Legend
101 Posts
here's the timetable of my life with these blue leds on the hr20:

day 1: holy crap this looks cool

day 5: damn these things are bright

day 10: i dim them but they're still bright as hell. very distracting

day 14: there's got to be a way to turn these off! It's hard to watch tv or sleep...

day 19: HOLY CRAP I NEED TO TURN THESE [email protected]#$ING THINGS OFF

day 24: i am now considering cracking the case open to disable the leds...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.