DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Godfather
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new 99c wondering if my dish is lined up ok. I'm in Parker, CO. We get a decent amount of snow in the winter and want to minimize the amount of fade for this coming winter. Wondering if my signal levels warrant any kind of adjustment?

I haven't done this type of adjustment before but have read through a bunch of threads/docs already. Seems like EL and AZ would be the most likely things to try and slightly modify. Just not sure if this is close to the best I can get out here in CO anyway, so trying to modify might be a waste of time?

Attachments

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Yes you could have higher signal [ ie high 80s to mid 90s ] but D* won't send anybody out for those levels. So if you want to do it yourself you should be able to improve those values.

· Godfather
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah.. I don't have the protection plan anyway. I read in some of the other threads about adjusting the EL first then maybe try the AZ. I really don't want to get the thing totally out of whack.. since I don't have the protection plan. I'm pretty handy, though. I have a laptop with Slingplayer on it.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
kd7ctv said:
actually your levels for the 99 are fine. We want above 70 when we are tuning them in.
Perhaps so, but you must admit the higher, the better.

The OP's numbers look a lot like mine. I fine-tuned my dish when the 103c signals came along, and now I'm very tempted to do some more tuning.

I didn't do the install and I don't think the pole is totally vertical, which I know is bad news.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
kd7ctv said:
actually your levels for the 99 are fine. We want above 70 when we are tuning them in.
70 is indeed D* minimum standard, but it really is too low in the real world and will lead to rain fade quickly.

paulman182 said:
I didn't do the install and I don't think the pole is totally vertical, which I know is bad news.
Not as bad as you think. with AZ/EL and maybe even mast adjustments you can go just as high as a perfectly plumb dish.

· Icon
1,306 Posts
mogulman said:
With the new 99c wondering if my dish is lined up ok. I'm in Parker, CO. We get a decent amount of snow in the winter and want to minimize the amount of fade for this coming winter. Wondering if my signal levels warrant any kind of adjustment?
You got a lot of 'very slightly' type answers, and they are essentially correct.

However, think about what you are trying to avoid. Snow/Rain fade, that you can do something about (obviously, the 'space' loss between your dish and the clouds is not going to be changeable) is basically two areas:

First, the dish reflector. As snow (esp. the sticky type) will 'deform' the reflector including RF absorption, of course.

Second, the throat of the LNB getting iced over (the 'white' or clear plastic over the feed horns).

You need to start looking for a cover, of which several are made for the Slimline (AU9). If you have an AT9 ('Sidecar'), you're about out of luck as I've never seen any made for that type.

I do, however, have a couple old (originally installed in early 2006 feeding MDU plants) that are completely enclosed by fiberglass radomes that were originally used for shipboard radar units. They were found quite literally in 'dumps' as junk. Being around tons of shipping/fishing fleets does have it's rewards upon occasion!

So, protecting those two areas (reflector and feed horns) are paramount. You may get some snow load on the 'cover' itself (depends on your area and snow load), but going out and whacking the cover to shake the snow off is something you may have to do occasionally.

Some folks have used heating strips back in the early days of singleLNB types, and I've seen a couple folks with the AU9 use such. But that only gets the sticky snow on the reflector, NOT the icing of the LNB throat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.