DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
First, let me say how much I've appreciated this forum. I just found it even though I've been a satellite customer for 2 years now, just about to leave DTV.This has been very helpful reading everything.

I'm about to leave Direct and switch to Dish due to a major issue I had with an installer that came to set me up and DTV's lack of response on correcting an issue. I won't bore you with the details, but one of the problems was he claimed no line-of-site for the local channels in our area, due to trees. Then in addition to that, he didn't even try to make some effort to discuss alternatives, other than sending someone else out for a 2nd opinion. And then of course, not to mention, he was 6 hours late for the appt!!!! And I"m talking like 9 at night!! geez!

Anyway, I knew the trees could have been an issue but I felt like he could/should have tried to discuss or suggest alternatives for me, such as an off-air antenna, but he didn't So I called Dish and they are coming out Thursday morning.

All that to ask this:
1. What has some of your experiences been with trees? I mean, how bad does it have to be to block access to a satellite? Assuming the positioning of the satellites are similar on Dish to DTV's, if my locals are not perfect, I don't really care. I don't watch my local channels that much anyway. But I was wondering...will ANY trees in the way block out the signal, or does it have to be pretty thick, or what?

2. Also this question is about OTA antenna. I'd like to see if you think this may be a good idea. Sicne I know trees may be an issue for my local channels, I'm considering purchasing an OTA antenna and have it here for when the Dish tech comes. That way if he says too that they can't pull down the locals for me due to my trees (I live in a townhome community and we're going to cut down some trees, but it's not a quick process), then I was thinking about asking the installer to mount the OTA at the same time he mounts the satellite. Then if they CAN pull down the locals, I'd just return the OTA. Yeah, I know I'd have to pay him directly and separate for that, but my thinking is I'd rather have it here IN CASE it's needed. Does that sound like a decent plan?

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
Trees are a very big problem, the thicker the worse your reception and anything under 50 means no signal. When I first put up my dish, I aimed it through several tree branches. I had signal over 90, but EVERYTIME it rained, I lost sat signal. Had to cut down tree.

· Godfather
367 Posts
I get this same question from customers anytime I have to tell them that they can't put the dish where they want it. Trees are bad.. Tree branches hanging in the line of sight are bad too.. Although the signal may make it through the branches in some cases, any little change in density from wind or rain, and you are staring at an aquiring signal screen. And then you get mad at your system. I just don't ever want to install a marginal signal. I would rather loose the sale than have a customer screaming at me later when the signal goes out.

This being said, I don't have it happen often. Usually, I can find somewhere on the property that I can make it work. But the short answer here is.. TREES ARE BAD!

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skyviewmark1 said:
I get this same question from customers anytime I have to tell them that they can't put the dish where they want it. Trees are bad.. Tree branches hanging in the line of sight are bad too.. Although the signal may make it through the branches in some cases, any little change in density from wind or rain, and you are staring at an aquiring signal screen. And then you get mad at your system. I just don't ever want to install a marginal signal. I would rather loose the sale than have a customer screaming at me later when the signal goes out.

This being said, I don't have it happen often. Usually, I can find somewhere on the property that I can make it work. But the short answer here is.. TREES ARE BAD!
Hi Mark!
Thanks for your answer. I've been a Satellite user enough to know that the trees could be an issue there, but I was just thinking that first, it's the locals that I believe we'll be dealing with and if I lose those occasionally, then fine...I don't care. Second, you said you can usually find a place to make it work...well, that's what I was wanting the guy from Direct to do but being SOO late at night, he wasn't willing. I'm hoping the guy from Dish will be better. Of corse, I didn't take any chances. I've scheduled my install for the morning, not the afternoon! :lol:

Thanks again!

Bruce

· Super Moderator
54,213 Posts
Trees (and other objects) can be tall enough to block a dish ... or even overhang where one has a clear vision of the sky at a low angle yet the dish will be blocked.

The apparent aim of a dish is lower than the true aim.

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, James. It takes an installer that is motivated to work to get a tricky install done right. I'm happy to report I had a couple of great instlalers yesterday with Dish. Yeah, I know they were contractors, but still...they did a great job! They got to my house about 11am yesterday morning and didn't leave until about 4:30, by the time they got it all right.

It took so long cuz they literally had to go to the VERY top of my 2 story townhouse and mount it there, route the line through the attic, fish another line through the wall....etc. There is still one tree that is in the way and is partially blocking one satellite but at least for now, it's not hindering anything. I've got appointments for some estimates to get some tree work done, hopefuly next week.

So far so good with Dish!

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.