DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fiddling around on the Directv website and see that Directv offers antenna installation services for $99. Apparently the new sub provides the antenna and tech installs. Do the tech's provide the RG6, ground block and connectors? Do they also install a pre-amp for no extra charge? Sounds like it could be a good deal if you have a good installer... Anyone know what's provided for sure?

Edit addition. The Directv site also picked up that my area does not yet have locals. Lease acquistion fees are increased by $50 if you want a dvr with OTA tuning capability. Sounds like no more free AM21's for those of us with no locals from D*.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,969 Posts
I don't know about your area, but in mine, I'd bet less than 2% of DirecTV techs had ever touched an OTA antenna. When I was working for HSPs, and they found out that I knew how, they gave me all the antenna jobs, which weren't many. In the case of our HSP, the installation included the cheapie (but pretty decent) 2-bay Eagle Aspen UHF antenna. The antenna was mounted on a 10' long, 1" piece of EMT (thin-wall metal conduit) which was bolted to the house.

Amps, rotors, guy wires, towers, etc. were all custom work.

IMO, I wouldn't recommend using DirecTV to mount your OTA unless it's going to be a very basic, easy job. A local satellite/home theater company, or local radio/CB company, would likely be a much safer bet.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
Go to www.antennaweb.org to determine what class and size antenna you are going to need before ordering from directv or anyone else. Alternative is to ask a local antenna service who knows your area's requirements.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIP said:
I don't know about your area, but in mine, I'd bet less than 2% of DirecTV techs had ever touched an OTA antenna. When I was working for HSPs, and they found out that I knew how, they gave me all the antenna jobs, which weren't many. In the case of our HSP, the installation included the cheapie (but pretty decent) 2-bay Eagle Aspen UHF antenna. The antenna was mounted on a 10' long, 1" piece of EMT (thin-wall metal conduit) which was bolted to the house.

Amps, rotors, guy wires, towers, etc. were all custom work.

IMO, I wouldn't recommend using DirecTV to mount your OTA unless it's going to be a very basic, easy job. A local satellite/home theater company, or local radio/CB company, would likely be a much safer bet.
Always good advice IIP! I was thinking that I would attach the tripod to the roof and mount the antenna + pre-amp to the mast. Since I don't have the tools nor any RG6, I was thinking that it might be very easy for the installer to run the cable and attach connectors. The installer would need to cut seven pieces of RG-6 and added F connectors. The two attenna runs would go to the same two locations in the home as the D* runs to the DVR. Ballpark, looking at about 120 feet of RG-6 and 14 F-connectors. The installer should be able to make a pretty decent profit if I'm paying $100 for installation, correct?

I have talked to the local sat guys. They quoted me a price of $250 to do the antenna install (which includes their labor, RG-6, connectors, installing and mounting antenna, tuning the antenna reception). I would be responsible for purchasing the antenna, mast, tripod, and pre-amp. The locals would be more expensive but they would be doing more work.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2dogz said:
Go to www.antennaweb.org to determine what class and size antenna you are going to need before ordering from directv or anyone else. Alternative is to ask a local antenna service who knows your area's requirements.
Excellent points, 2dogz! I have spent a great deal of time on this issue, including going to antennaweb and tvfool websites. I've also discussed my particular situation with one of the antenna pro's over on the avsforums. Plus, I have talked to the local installers so I feel confident that I am on the right track. I have learned alot in the process! Always wise to recommend these steps to others!
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
92 Posts
We are still doing them here, but not all that often, now over on the coast (Humbolt County) thats a whole different story. they are doing 4-5 a week over there.

We instal only winegard sensar III amplified antennas over there. They work great.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
452 Posts
IDRick said:
Always good advice IIP! I was thinking that I would attach the tripod to the roof and mount the antenna + pre-amp to the mast. Since I don't have the tools nor any RG6, I was thinking that it might be very easy for the installer to run the cable and attach connectors. The installer would need to cut seven pieces of RG-6 and added F connectors. The two attenna runs would go to the same two locations in the home as the D* runs to the DVR. Ballpark, looking at about 120 feet of RG-6 and 14 F-connectors. The installer should be able to make a pretty decent profit if I'm paying $100 for installation, correct?

I have talked to the local sat guys. They quoted me a price of $250 to do the antenna install (which includes their labor, RG-6, connectors, installing and mounting antenna, tuning the antenna reception). I would be responsible for purchasing the antenna, mast, tripod, and pre-amp. The locals would be more expensive but they would be doing more work.
When we did them here, the install covered the antenna whether it worked or not and line ran to one unit. Nothing more. If it didn't pick up a single channel, you're just SOL. Just bear in mind that DTV techs are trained on satellite, not OTA, nor do they guarantee that any part of it will work. Better off going with a private contractor as IIP mentioned earlier, if it's that important.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Johnnie5000 said:
When we did them here, the install covered the antenna whether it worked or not and line ran to one unit. Nothing more. If it didn't pick up a single channel, you're just SOL. Just bear in mind that DTV techs are trained on satellite, not OTA, nor do they guarantee that any part of it will work. Better off going with a private contractor as IIP mentioned earlier, if it's that important.
Rather a bleak but honest opinion. :) Sounds like I would be well ahead to do it myself or hire a private contractor.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top