DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm frustrated by the need to use an antenna to get HD local channels (Raleigh/Durham market). For my main TV I use HDMI to connect my 622 DVR and the RF input for rabbit ears. I now would like to watch local HD on my TV2 in the bedroom, and the RF input is connected to the wall for the dish feed.

Can I buy another set of rabbit ears and use a 2-way splitter?

I would hook the antenna and the wall outlet to one side of the splitter with 2 connections and then connect that with a short length of coax to the TV RF-in.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
You could use two splitters, the first to split the ota signal before input into the 622, then use the other in reverse (works as a combiner) to combine the second signal from the first splitter and the rf output from the 622, you will only get analog signal on tv2 unless you have a digital tuner on the tv or buy a converting for second tv in order to keep the digital feeds after Feb, 2009. You could also set the ota to record on tv1 and view it as a dvr recording on tv2.

·
AllStar
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm.

Good thoughts. Just because of logistics I'd rather buy another antenna for the 2nd set because it's far away from the one rabbit ears. Getting the OTA signal to the 2nd set would require lots of ugly wire that can't be reasonalbly hidden.

The 2nd TV is digital and HD (Dynex LCD) so it will accept the HD signal. So the 622 will play a recorded HD program and deliver HD on TV2?? I could only see HD programming in SD on my old TV2 but that was an analog TV.

I'll try recording the digiral ota on TV1 and see if it'll play HD on TV2. I know that TV2 won't play the HD channels directly in HD (with the 622) but I haven't tried playing a recorded HD program on it.

·
Icon
719 Posts
lbeck said:
The 2nd TV is digital and HD (Dynex LCD) so it will accept the HD signal. So the 622 will play a recorded HD program and deliver HD on TV2?? I could only see HD programming in SD on my old TV2 but that was an analog TV.

I'll try recording the digiral ota on TV1 and see if it'll play HD on TV2. I know that TV2 won't play the HD channels directly in HD (with the 622) but I haven't tried playing a recorded HD program on it.
The 622/722 will play HD on another HDTV, but it must use one of the 2 HD outputs (HDMI or Component), and it will mirror exactly what's on the other HDTV. The 622/722 will send an HD program to TV2, but it will downrez it to SD.

Also, you cannot view live OTA on the TV2 output. You can, however, begin recording OTA on TV1 and access it in Recorded Programs from TV2 (in Dual Mode).

·
AllStar
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I should have figured out that I would need the HDMI or component inputs to get HD. That's the kicker. Unfortunately I can't find a good wiring route for more cables plus a 50' HDMI cable costs more than my second car.
You can, however, begin recording OTA on TV1 and access it in Recorded Programs from TV2 (in Dual Mode).
I'll try that

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
lbeck said:
I'm frustrated by the need to use an antenna to get HD local channels (Raleigh/Durham market).
The ones on channels 6465-6468? They've been available since Dec 06 at 118.75° (requires a Plus dish, might not be on that sat much longer) and at 61.5° since 6/25.

·
Godfather
387 Posts
lbeck said:
T a 50' HDMI cable costs more than my second car.I'll try that
You can get a 75ft cable from Monoprice for a little over $80.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,633 Posts
You can also try HD over cat 5e/cat 6, or wait a little while and a whole bunch of wireless HD options are supposed to be in the pipeline for fall.

-Chris

·
Legend
230 Posts
This is what I did. I hooked rabbit ears to my 2nd TV in the bedroom for OTA local HD channels and tune them with TV's ATSC tuner (not thru Dish). Then I get my Dish 2nd TV feed on channel 60 of my TV and can access all the Dish channels inclu local OTA channels but they are in 480p.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.