DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many antennas does D* have for the HR20? I was told that I needed a Ka/Ku band antenna, and my initial work order calls out a Ka/Ku. However, the tech on my third tech visit in five weeks just told me I have the wrong reflector.

Can anyone direct me to/post images of the proper antanna(s)? Thanks!

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
HR20 - 1 SAT Dish... a 5LNB either an AT9 or the Slimline
If you have international programming you could need two more

· Banned
1,614 Posts
The HR20 can be used with a 1 LNB dish if you don't care about HDTV right now, or a 3 LNB dish if you don't care about HDTV local channels.

I had my HR20 running off my single LNB dish for a week or so before I put up my 5 LNB dish.

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a web search for AT9. All of the web pics look the same, and DO NOT look like the antenna on my roof. The AT9 web images show a "rounded rectangular" reflector, whereas mine is more oval, and the AT9 web images show a round main LNB, whereas mine is not round.

Are there variations in AT9 designs? Or did the installer put the completely wrong antenna up?

BTW, I am indeed interested in HD. I did a check on Lyngsat, and it looks like my locals come in on sat 101. Lyngsat says these are "encrypted" but not "HD". Can't find "HD" listing for my locals on Lyngsat.

· Godfather
415 Posts
Look at the pics in the link I posted; that is the AT9. If that's not what was installed, you got the wrong one if you want HD locals or any future MPEG4 HD content. Especially notice the extra arm attachment with the extra LNB's on it. This is the Ka/Ku dish that is required.

There is a "slimline" version of the AT9 that is supposedly in the works, but has not been seen "in the wild" yet, so I highly doubt you have one of those.

EDIT: You beat me to it, Mallard! My dish is capable of 4 lines right from the dish, but I only use one 2-tuner DVR receiver (the HR20) so it only needs 2 lines. If you need to feed more receivers than the dish's built-in switch can handle (4 lines), you'll end up w/a multiswitch, which further splits the incoming lines properly.

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
911medic said:
Look at the pics in the link I posted; that is the AT9. If that's not what was installed, you got the wrong one if you want HD locals or any future MPEG4 HD content. Especially notice the extra arm attachment with the extra LNB's on it

There is a "slimline" version of the AT9 that is supposedly in the works, but has not been seen "in the wild" yet, so I highly doubt you have one of those.
I have the extra arm with two additional LNB modules, but the reflector and main LNB module are different from your images.

I also saw an image of the slimline. My antenna does not look at all like that.

· Registered
4,880 Posts

· Godfather
415 Posts
Weird...maybe they somehow installed the extra LNB extension on the wrong dish? Perhaps that's what the tech meant when he said you had the wrong reflector (in your original post).

Any way you can post some pics?

Whatever the case, sounds like something got screwed up and they need to figure it out for you.

· Godfather
415 Posts

· Godfather
415 Posts
That would help us figure out what you've got. Something's amiss.

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First of all, thanks everyone for the pics and help so far.

Next, the reflector. Maybe it's just perspective, but the web pics look a bit more "square" than my dish. However, when I got on my ladder, I noticed that at least the top edge of my dish is straighter than I thought it was. The bottom edge looks rounder/more oval. Looking from the ground up, the whole dish looks more oval than the web pics, but it does measure the same as the AT9 specs on the Solid Signal website. The dish has a sticker with the work "Andrew" on it.

The secondary LNBs look like they could be the same, but the main LNB module definitely has a different style.

Fourth tech visit set up for Saturday (is there a record for most number of tech visits before system is stable?) so we'll see what happens then.

Attachments

· Registered
4,880 Posts
Mallard said:
First of all, thanks everyone for the pics and help so far.

Next, the reflector. Maybe it's just perspective, but the web pics look a bit more "square" than my dish. However, when I got on my ladder, I noticed that at least the top edge of my dish is straighter than I thought it was. The bottom edge looks rounder/more oval. Looking from the ground up, the whole dish looks more oval than the web pics, but it does measure the same as the AT9 specs on the Solid Signal website. The dish has a sticker with the work "Andrew" on it.

The secondary LNBs look like they could be the same, but the main LNB module definitely has a different style.

Fourth tech visit set up for Saturday (is there a record for most number of tech visits before system is stable?) so we'll see what happens then.
You have the correct dish for the HR20.

· Godfather
415 Posts
Well, I can't blame you for being confused. Your LNB's certainly look different than mine:

It almost looks like your add-ons are connected via coax lines to the main LNB; mine just have thin little wires, and the LNB's themselves look much different, even being of different lengths, etc.

I believe there are a couple of different manufacuterers of the 5LNB dishes, with people generically referring to them all as the AT9, when that is just one company's model number (Wistron), but I think there's others as well. Mine specifically says AT9 on the back of the reflector, and each LNB assembly has a label on it showing what satellites it receives.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.