DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
If you get a HR20-21 it's 300gb, 22-24 is 500 gb, hr34 is 1tb. You can't specify what you'll get except for the 34.

You can always use a 2 tb external on any of them, it's easiest to do at the beginning. I'd put one program on the internal drive as a marker. But, if the DVR goes bad, programs on external are not playable on a replacement.

· Hall Of Fame
1,128 Posts
Negative.

The non HMC(HR34) DVRs have 500GB hard drives with 400 of those useable. The HMC has a 1TB hard drive with 900 GB useable.

I may be a bit off on that last number so I have no problem being corrected on any of it.

Kevin

Edit: dpeters11 beat me to it! Darn! I lost again :D

· Godfather
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dpeters11 said:
If you get a HR20-21 it's 300gb, 22-24 is 500 gb, hr34 is 1tb. You can't specify what you'll get except for the 34.

You can always use a 2 tb external on any of them, it's easiest to do at the beginning. I'd put one program on the internal drive as a marker. But, if the DVR goes bad, programs on external are not playable on a replacement.
Can I specify an HR34?

· Hall Of Fame
2,628 Posts
http://www.weaknees.com/directv-hd-dvr.php weaknees offers the HR24 units with larger internal drives for enhanced fees. I assume these are still lease machines however and if you get a DTV replacement later it will only have the standard sized drive.

As has been noted external ESATA drives are a good solution but they have some limitations. Tied to the specific DVR you cant't move to another DVR and watch its content. Post power outages the DVR may boot to the internal drive if the external one hasn't spun up yet.

So you spend to get one built with extra space internal that you don't have to worry about. Or, you get an external and a UPS and run your own storage. Unfortunately in either situation when the DVR bites the dust you lose your saved data. However, the external can be reformatted and mated to another DVR while the internal drive goes away with the returned DVR.

I find the issues with either enough to just live with standard sizing and have multiple DVRs. But that is just me.

Don "external is cheap, easy, and approved though" Bolton

· Mr. FixAnything
27,974 Posts
Using eSATA drive(s) will give you desired amount of space (assuming you could use multiple drives with mandatory stopping your DVR to change it - treat it as a car when you changing oil, fuel, tires etc).

Older models has 300 some 320 GB, latest 500 GB, only HR34 has 1 TB.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
"dpeters11" said:

The HR20/21's have 320GB HDDs. Some of the early HR20s did have 300GB HDDs though.

- Merg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.