DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Godfather
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my nearly 20 yr old NEC tv with a cast-off given to me by a friend.

It is a 3 yr. old JVC AV32D305. It is supposed to have 600 lines of resolution and it has component inputs.

My question is this:

My R15 has died. I know the JVC isn't HD, but would I get a better picture out of a HR21 than a R15 with this television?

· Legend
188 Posts
I do not have an R15, nor a JVC AV32D305 - however I can state with certainty that the S-Video out of my HR21-700 is much clearer when I am on an HD channel. I suspect that using component video will be similarly improved.

Whether or not it's worth the extra cost of an HD upgrade is your personal choice.

Regards,
dd

· Godfather
495 Posts
I strongly suspect you probably wouldn't notice the difference at 32 inches and normal viewing distances even if you did get a full 600 lines out of the HR21 on the screen (maybe some scaling issues from bringing down 720 to 600). In fact, now that I think about it, if you did get the 720P image on the screen, you'd get either letterboxing, or smushing of the image from left to right. If you own the R15, have you thought about simply replacing the hard drive? It's easy to try and might fix your problem

· Godfather
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doctrsnoop said:
If you own the R15, have you thought about simply replacing the hard drive? It's easy to try and might fix your problem
I do own the R15, but i strongly suspect it is not just a harddrive issue. The unit is completely non-responsive and had a tuner issue before things went from bad to worse.

I have a thread in the R15 forum.

At least $50.00 for a hard drive that may not fix the problem (and I would have no use for otherwise) plus the time/effort and the lack of knowledge.

This makes a new R15 from BestBuy at 79.00 pretty attractive -- or the HR21 for 169.00 if there is a benefit.

That seems to be my choice at the moment.

(I already have one HD unit, so there would be no extra monthly cost)

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Too bad you don't lease it. DirecTV would replace it for free and you'd get an R16 or R22 or probably a good discount on an HR21.

Are you sure you really own it? R15's were first released after they started doing the leasing program a few years ago. Even when you "buy" something at Best Buy it's a lease. Check your bill and see if the R15 is listed as a "lease fee" or "additional receiver fee". That will tell if it's leased or owned.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Not if he really does own it (paid full price). However he still would probably get a deal by calling them. Certainly doesn't hurt to call, can always say no if you don't like the deal.
I am almost certain they will replace it either way, they want to keep the customer. They replaced an owned unit for me a while back.

· Godfather
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So let me ask the question this way....

Even if I have to set The HR21 to 480 output and don't get better resolution, I still see a couple of advantages to replacing the R15 with a HR21.

1. Ready to go when i do get a HD tv.
2. More recording time (200 hrs? at SD?)
3. External drive option
4. MRV (someday) since both my receivers would be HR21s
5. Media Share (though I may not ever use)
6. DirecTv on Demand (though i may not ever use)

Anything else?

· Hall Of Fame
2,755 Posts
wohlfie said:

Even if I have to set The HR21 to 480 output and don't get better resolution, I still see a couple of advantages to replacing the R15 with a HR21.

3. External drive option

Anything else?
It's better looking too.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
wohlfie said:

3. External drive option

Anything else?
With atctivation of any HD equipment from D* you will have to subscribe to HD Access at $9.95 per month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.