DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem getting a definitive answer on this. Looking for one line stacking solutions for the new AT9 dishes and MPEG4 sats for an existing single LNB Multi Dwelling Unit system... I have a client who's building wants to upgrade to Hi-def but it doesn't seem to be worthwhile since the current Phase 3 MDU system will be obsolete soon. Spoke to Sonora Design several times in the past few months and they have nothing yet and say DirecTV is still working on FTM... Anyone know if anything is in the pipeline yet?

·
5 Posts
I guess I can't post URLs until I have made more than 5 posts. Guess lurkers aren't all that welcome.

Go to pacemso.com. Left hand side, half way down under "New Product Info" select "Multi-Sat Solution over 1 wire". The diagram shows it with an internal high-speed solution and OTA antenna which aren't necessary - but add to the whole package.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
ProComm said:
I guess I can't post URLs until I have made more than 5 posts. Guess lurkers aren't all that welcome.

Go to pacemso.com. Left hand side, half way down under "New Product Info" select "Multi-Sat Solution over 1 wire". The diagram shows it with an internal high-speed solution and OTA antenna which aren't necessary - but add to the whole package.
Lurkers are welcome... but the 5 post rule is there, to help curtail spam posters

·
Hall Of Fame
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ProComm said:

I'm aware of this product at the site.

http://www.pacemso.com/sky/Aug06/MFH1/

but when you highlight #7 which is the MF-H1 unit is says:

"The customer device is required to de-stack and down-convert the DirecTV Satellite Signals to 950-1450 MHz frequency bands for delivery to the DirecTV IRD."

The Ka Mpeg4 signals reside under 900 if I'm not mistaken. I read elsewhere that the The MCU shown (Master Conversion Unit) is upgradeable to FTM tech when it arrives and/or another unit MF-H2 will be arriving shortly that can handle Mpeg4 will be arriving shortly... It's all very confusing.

The worry is investing in tech that will shortly have to be swapped out for other tech... And how do they get so much bandwith out of coax to carry all the sats and polarities?

Also the line drops into the apartments also carries OTA & Cable in that range. The customer has the choice between DirecTV or Time Warner Cable.

Follow-up:

I went through their online catalog and did read that the MCU will be upgradeable with a device they are working on for Ka... But is it better to wait for a one unit solution and will the destackers have to be changed for people who want Ka services?

·
Mentor
38 Posts
I would assume that 2GHz cable is mandatory. The KA low band will be up-converted to the 950-1450 MHz range (based on the usless BBC's we have for our HR20's & H20's).

So perhaps they up-convert the 950-1450 MHz range to something higher leaving the lower range available for cable & antenna? (since the MFH1 is supposed to "de-stack" and "down-convert" to the 950-1450 MHz range)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tejohnson said:
I would assume that 2GHz cable is mandatory. The KA low band will be up-converted to the 950-1450 MHz range (based on the usless BBC's we have for our HR20's & H20's).

So perhaps they up-convert the 950-1450 MHz range to something higher leaving the lower range available for cable & antenna? (since the MFH1 is supposed to "de-stack" and "down-convert" to the 950-1450 MHz range)
The other worry is the type of coax cable in the units... it's not RG-6, it's something that was run in the eighties... very thin coax.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
VeniceDre said:
The other worry is the type of coax cable in the units... it's not RG-6, it's something that was run in the eighties... very thin coax.
That isn't good...

You are going to have some difficulties there... as you are going to definently push and probably exceeded the capacity ratings for the RG-59 that is probably there.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
That isn't good...

You are going to have some difficulties there... as you are going to definently push and probably exceeded the capacity ratings for the RG-59 that is probably there.
Yeah, I have one client in the town home section of the condominium complex that was remodeled and has his own AT9 dish on the roof going down into a Zinwell multiswitch. Everything in his home is RG6 now. When the whole complex (apt. tower and townhomes) was reroofed a few months ago his dish went down temporarily and we transferred him to cable for a few weeks.

When the cable line was activated (pre-exisiting wiring in the complex) there was a 20 db drop from the junction box to his home... we're talking about 100 ft. There was an in-line amplifier placed where the line came in just so the moxi box's internal modem could comunicate with the cable company.

·
Mentor
38 Posts
Pulling cable blows. I live in a newer house, all RG6 + Cat5, but all the cables were run in-line with electric in the very tiny crawl space (trusses really). All the Cat5 terminations to the phone jacks were excessively stripped long and unshielded, and the F connectors that were placed on the cable was pretty shoddy job.

While doin all this recent work on my cabling, I also put my Terk HDTVo on a distribution block and connected all cables. This introduced a "hum" on my phone line. Turns out one of the unused F connectors going to the kitchen was touching the back of a wall mount DSL filter introducing ~2VDC voltage into my ground.

The point: It is the small things that generally tend to kick your ass...

·
Hall Of Fame
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from the home owners meeting and they decided to revisit the situation after the new sats go up. They are really concerned about the coax also... I recommended to just go with Time Warner cable HD for now, as of Jan 9 they'll have all HD DirecTv has plus 4 additional channels. Most of the people at the meeting were already on cable. They do not want the increase in dues for the upgrade anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.