DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody having any problems, I've read about some timer issues since the upgrade. I'm not so sure it's a bug yet.
Guess we will know as we get more upgrades.

Remember to reset the 501 after the upgrade, always seemed to help me.

G

·
There is something going on with a timer kicking off when you are either delayed or watching a PVR event. It happend to me and I thought it was something my kids did, b ut reading more it sounds like a bug. Other than that, 153 is working 100% better than 150 did. I was getting prices together on UltimateTV just before the upgrade. I will be holding off for now, but if the upgrade for this (or future upgrade for the DP) make things worse, I'm out of here.

G

·
My Caller ID doesn't seem to work. I have an output via RCA cables, and I have an output via coax. Neither screen displays the call data. No recordings in progress or anything.

Anybody else having this problem?

G

·
Sure am subscribed. Phone line works. Phone jack works. Phone wire is good. Diag works fine. When resetting receiver, it clicks on my phone line. Only thing strange is that I have a DSL line filter on it. Doesn't affect any of my other phones with ID, so this should be no different. Tried it without filter too, just to see if there was a difference. There was not.

Oh, dish support says it won't show when watching PVR recordings. I pointed out to them that it was a live program I was watching with no delay.

It just plain doesn't work. I'm sure it will eventually work, but for now... it doesn't.

Thanks for your quick reply!
Brad

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brad, It's so nice to see a name. :) You should register.
It's really easy, you don't have to supply any personal info. :)
Ok, I'm done bugging ya about that. :lol:
I'm sure you did the phone check in the 501 menu?
Have you ever ordered a PPV to know if the modem works?

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
There... registered... quick and painless...

Actually, spent about 45 mins on phone with Dishnet... where at the end of the conversation they tell me that CID may not work until 24 hours after the software download... which I received about 12 hours ago.

You would think they would mention that before I spent 45 mins on the phone with them. :)

Anyway... patience is golden in this case. Not like I didn't have it before... life goes on.

Brad

·
AllStar
95 Posts
If dish says that the caller id won't work during PVR functions then it is pretty much useless to me and others who never watch LIVE tv. What a great disipointment in the SW developement team. What's the point off having a caller id on a PVR if it doesn't work. They advertise ZAP commericials never watch another comericial. The caller ID should work during any PVR function.:mad:

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Well, I did enable it via Menu, 6, 1, 8. I did a phone connection test which turned out ok. I tested the jack. I tested the phone cord. I changed the phone cord. I unhooked every other phone in the house. I did a hard reset of the machine. I left it unplugged for half an hour. I talked nicely to it. I did everything but slap it on the rear and call it "sweetheart." It just doesn't work.

I would greatly appreciate ANY thoughts anybody might have. The Dish people submitted an engineering report (to which I will never be called back about). However, from what it sounds like, I am absolutely the only person in the world who can't seem to get it to work. Enable ID, get call during live program, see number, ignore call.

That's the way it's supposed to work, right?

Brad

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brad, did you run phone test with the 501?
Its Menu, 6, 3.......Diagnostics. this checks your phone connection.

Have you ordered a PPV lately?
I'm trying to determine if your modem in the 501 is bad.

G

·
My 501's behavior matches Brad's. I.E. Caller ID doesn't work. I've done all the same checks. I got 3 calls during a live show and have a caller id phone off the same jack as the 501.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Yes, I did the phone connection test. I've also tried it while ON the phone just hear the click on the phone line during the test.

I'm glad to hear that somebody else is having the same problem.

Brad

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
That's not it... My sw64 isn't grounded, and it works fine for me. With a new baby in the house, gounding my gear just got shoved further down the list of things to do.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Maybe if we put our heads together, we can figure out what the problem is. Here is my config... maybe other people who the same problem can put down their configs too. Perhaps there is a commonality.

DP501
Dish 500, SW21, one receiver.
Software version- P153DCED-N
Boot Strap- 16BBDCED
One Z-blocker on the phone line for my DSL.

Oh, forgot to mention... I use RCA cables to my TV and a coax to a VCR for tape copies.

*I've removed the Z-Blocker and it still doesn't work.

Now, those of you who are having the same problem I am, does any of this sound familiar to you? Do you have a SW21? Do you have a Z-Blocker?

Are there any of you out there who have the exact same config, yet no problem?

Brad

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
So... here's the answer...

Even if you THINK it's properly grounded, it's entirely possible the landscapers at your apartment cut your grounding wire.

I retraced everything in the installation of my dish last year, and turns out that my apartment's landscapers took a weedeater to the stupid grounding wire.

As soon as I put what was left of the wire back in the ground, the caller ID started working. When I took it out of the ground, it stopped working again. Put it back, and it began to work.

Can you believe that?!

Oh, and FYI, it works during playback, recording, playing back WHILE recording, and during live programs. I'm guessing that neilster's sw64 is in fact grounded somehow.

Anyway, thanks everybody for all of your input.

Brad

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well thats good to here Brad, and we all learned something as well. :)
llunken and Dish Tech Support had it right. :)
I was like neilster, doubting that grounding was it. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.