DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
I like to keep an extra receiver around just in case something else fails. Then I can activate it for a short period of time to put in service until the primary device is repaired or replaced. Can also use it in a guest room that normally does not have service.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Bingo! I actually had to use an old receiver while I waited for my HR20 to be installed. That ws one month from the day I ordered it. I am glad i had that old cluncker downstairs still.

carl6 said:
I like to keep an extra receiver around just in case something else fails. Then I can activate it for a short period of time to put in service until the primary device is repaired or replaced. Can also use it in a guest room that normally does not have service.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
didnt dtv give out free upgrades to those who had old receivers on their account before?

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Around here we use 'em for boat anchors and target practice!

I currently have five. :p

·
Icon
902 Posts
Nick said:
Around here we use 'em for boat anchors and target practice!

I currently have five. :p
...and Tailgates, Camping, etc. Sometimes you really don't want to take a DVR out in the woods when you have a particular live event that folks really want to see.

But, five? Yea, time for target practice!

·
Godfather
452 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
I have a couple of old D* receivers. RCA type - late 90s-2000. Is there any use for these other than throwing them away? (As I am about to do)
They work well as a wheel-chock for cement trucks and railroad cars.... :lol:

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
just be careful about if the receiver you're throwing away is labeled as a lease or owned system in D*'s system. If it's leased and you disconnect it, you'll get a $55/$200/$240/$470 (std/hd/dvr/hddvr) for not returning it.

Note: all receivers without a RID are owned.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
I still have two old RCAs (DRD503?) Blue access card that says DSS on top. I had bought them when their was DirecTV for Non premiums and USSB (??) for movie channels. Why don't I through them away? Same reason I suspect that I only last year threw away a dead VCR, one of the early RCAs that had a 1 day 1 event timer and recorded in 2 hour or 4 hour speeds. I suspect that they would need more than a new access card to be of use these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.