DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cool Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Genie 2 server died today after maybe a year in operation. Is there a way to have the Genie 2 back up shows to an external hard drive just in case this ever happens again?

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
What this thread is about is the reason I won't get such a DVR. I don't think I've ever lost a valued recording, mainly because I back up any valued recordings on another DVR. You cannot do that with the DVR you have. Why they even exist (aside from saving money for the folks that run the service) is beyond me.

Rich

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
What this thread is about is the reason I won't get such a DVR. I don't think I've ever lost a valued recording, mainly because I back up any valued recordings on another DVR. You cannot do that with the DVR you have. Why they even exist (aside from saving money for the folks that run the service) is beyond me.

Rich
Rich, by "back up any valued recordings on another DVR", do you mean recording the show on two DVR's? I agree this works, but it is awfully time-consuming. I have been fortunate to have never experienced a failed DVR hard drive.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Rich, by "back up any valued recordings on another DVR", do you mean recording the show on two DVR's? I agree this works, but it is awfully time-consuming. I have been fortunate to have never experienced a failed DVR hard drive.
You would not believe how many HRs I've lost. Yes, I backup the recordings that matter to me on at least one other HR. For Yankees games I back the recordings up on at least 2 other HRs. I don't think I'll ever get over what I went thru between 2006 and 2009.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
2,008 Posts
Huh! I find it so easy to just setup the same record series event on two HRs. Maybe an extra 3 minutes of time for total piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Huh! I find it so easy to just setup the same record series event on two HRs. Maybe an extra 3 minutes of time for total piece of mind.
I missed that in his post. Yeah, takes a minute or two. I used to have two 24s stacked below the 44, that setup was really easy to make backups with.

Rich

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
I missed that in his post. Yeah, takes a minute or two. I used to have two 24s stacked below the 44, that setup was really easy to make backups with.

Rich
And if you're using the DIRECTV App, you select the show you want and then you can select any (or all) DVRs you want the show to record to. Even easier.

Assuming the app is working that day. :)

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
And if you're using the DIRECTV App, you select the show you want and then you can select any (or all) DVRs you want the show to record to. Even easier.

Assuming the app is working that day. :)
That's an assumption I don't want to deal with.

Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.