DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there-

I'm new to this forum, but it looks like there are a lot of people in the know around here!! Here is my problem. When my new house was built, my wife noticed they forgot to put a cable/sat outlet in the living room. They did put one in the bedroom which shares the wall with the living room. They did place one in the living room before we moved in , and everything was great. I have had Directv hooked up in the living room and it worked fine. Well, now we have decided to put another receiver in the bedroom. I got everything set up, and discovered if the living room receiver was up and running, the bedroom wouldnt work, and vice versa. So I pulled out the outlet, and found that the brilliant contractor took the one line that was running to the bedroom, put a splitter on it, and ran it out to the living room. Is there anything I can do to have both receivers going at the same time?? I would even settle for having to have the same program on in the bedroom and living room. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
8,671 Posts
rdenney18 said:
Hi there-

I'm new to this forum, but it looks like there are a lot of people in the know around here!! Here is my problem. When my new house was built, my wife noticed they forgot to put a cable/sat outlet in the living room. They did put one in the bedroom which shares the wall with the living room. They did place one in the living room before we moved in , and everything was great. I have had Directv hooked up in the living room and it worked fine. Well, now we have decided to put another receiver in the bedroom. I got everything set up, and discovered if the living room receiver was up and running, the bedroom wouldnt work, and vice versa. So I pulled out the outlet, and found that the brilliant contractor took the one line that was running to the bedroom, put a splitter on it, and ran it out to the living room. Is there anything I can do to have both receivers going at the same time?? I would even settle for having to have the same program on in the bedroom and living room. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pull another wire or switch over to SWM setup.. not many options I'm afraid..

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
rdenney18 said:
...... I would even settle for having to have the same program on in the bedroom and living room.....
That's the easiest and the fastest. All the outputs of your receiver are live. You just need to get the A/V signals to the other side of the wall. For that matter, you could run the A/V signals into a $20 RF modulator and hook its output directly into the coax already running to the bedroom, if you can live with the PQ in the other room. It wouldn't be HD.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
I sat install an swm to fix this problem. The SWM signal can be split. So install SWM connect original wire to it. Then split the signal in the wall. You can have 8 tuners on it. So essentially you can run 4 dvr's

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
The single wire multiswitch (SWM) seems to be rare, hard to find and expensive like the 3 x 4s were for awhile. IF the living room & bedroom have access to the cable run below or above the outlet box, running another line to replace the splitter would not be too hard. Sheetrock ceilings in the basement or a second floor above would make the SWM look pretty good.

Joe

· Hall Of Fame
1,779 Posts
joe diamond said:
The single wire multiswitch (SWM) seems to be rare, hard to find and expensive like the 3 x 4s were for awhile. IF the living room & bedroom have access to the cable run below or above the outlet box, running another line to replace the splitter would not be too hard. Sheetrock ceilings in the basement or a second floor above would make the SWM look pretty good.

Joe
Prices dropping rapidly.
Saw a wholesaler at $85.00 for SWM-8 and PI.
Doubt any of the other solutions ie running new wires , modulators are going to be much less!?

Doctor j

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
doctor j said:
Prices dropping rapidly.
Saw a wholesaler at $85.00 for SWM-8 and PI.
Doubt any of the other solutions ie running new wires , modulators are going to be much less!?

Doctor j
Doctor j,

You are right...I was thinking of prices above $200.00. Fishing a second line from an attic through two floors.........including wall damage & paint would be way over $85.00 if it was even possible. If no smoke or water comes out the hole you probably got it.... but matching paint etc.....
...SWM looks better for a few projects I have going..

....thanks,

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.