DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered Dish and had the installation scheduled for today. The installer had some issues and could not finish today. He started mentioning rewiring cables and installing diplexers for my 2 dual tuners, and the fact there will be a charge for all of the "indoor" wiring.

What is included with "free" installation. I thought up to 120' of cable was included?

Also - I am switching from Direct TV and have some existing coax in the house/attic - I expected most of it to be utilized and some new to be pulled.

Any advice?

Thanks,

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
The free install consists of getting Dish's signal from the dish to the receivers to the tv's, usually takes care of any Dish switches and some fairly long coax runs. Wiring in Diplexes is not considered free at any time as they are not Dish equipment (do you have cable or OTA wired into your house or a distribution center?) Not sure what installer may be referring to with the rewiring cables part.

· Icon
822 Posts
When I was a DISH installer, we often used diplexers to feed the output to TV2 over to the 2nd tv and usually diplexed it thru the cable we had just ran to bring the sat signals in on. I dont recall us charging the customer xtra for that, pretty sure it was included. So perhaps it depends on the installation company.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Included in the free install is using your existing cables, if they are suitable (old RG59 cable is not), or running new cables on the outside of the house and coming in through an outside wall. The installer will only run lines for the receivers/TVs listed on the work order.

Running new cables through the attic or crawlspace and/or fishing lines inside of a wall is custom work, so if a customer requests this, they will be charged and the money is payable to the installer upon completion of the work. Also, depending on the house, some of this may not even be possible (every house is different).

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the response from DISH CSR:

(03) Betty S: How may I assist you today?
Chad: I am a new customer and in the process of installation
Chad: (was scheduled for next Sunday - but, they came early)
(03) Betty S: I will be glad to help you.
(03) Betty S: Ok.
Chad: My question is : what exactly is included with the "free" installation. The contractor mentioned that I will have to pay for all wiring in the house
(03) Betty S: Sure, i will be glad to check that for you, please give me 2-3 minute time to check that information.
Chad: Thank you . He is also installing "diplexers" to make my dual tuners work, and mentioned a charge for those.
(03) Betty S: Sure, i will check that information.
(03) Betty S: Thank you for your patience.
(03) Betty S: As i have checked the information , the installation is free of cost and you do not have to pay any thing for the wires.
(03) Betty S: There is no charge for the diplexers also.
Chad: OK. If the contractor disagrees, can I have them contact Dish? What number?
(03) Betty S: Yes, you can always call customer care number 1-800-333-3474.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
There should be no charge for diplexers. The installation company is required to supply them as needed to complete an install.

As I stated above, running new cable, up to 125' per receiver, is free, but is generally limited to runs on the outside of the house.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Straight from the back of the service agreement used by techs after any service.

Services and materials included in Proffesional Standard Instillation package

services: Site survey at the time of installation;Assembly of dishes and mount;grounding of system components to meet NEC standards'system peaking for optimum performance; installation of up to 200' of RG-6 cable; routing of cable through 1 wall penetraition;(I am guessing this is for each TV) testing of equipment for proper operation;orientation of Dish Network programming and equipment.

Materials: up to 200' of Rg-6 cable;coaxial connectors;grounding equipment;weather sealant for connections and structure penetrations; wall plates,bushings and fittings as needed;mount hardware(standard eave,chimney,tripod,pole with up to 50' of trenching cable.

If the tech tries to charge you tell him to read the back of the service agreement. Hope this helps.

· Hall Of Fame
2,027 Posts
JMHO, but I would try to straighten this out before the installer does any more work. Do not wait until the work is completed. It's like taking a taxi in New York City -- always say where you want to go and ask how much it will cost before you step in and close the door. ;)

I would politely and professionally, but firmly, ask what services are not included in the base install and how much will it cost. If it sounds like something that should be included in the base install, I'd ask for the installer to check with his/her supervisor before going any further.

Best of luck my friend.

Ashh said:
Straight from the back of the service agreement used by techs after any service.

Services and materials included in Proffesional Standard Instillation package

services: Site survey at the time of installation;Assembly of dishes and mount;grounding of system components to meet NEC standards'system peaking for optimum performance; installation of up to 200' of RG-6 cable; routing of cable through 1 wall penetraition;(I am guessing this is for each TV) testing of equipment for proper operation;orientation of Dish Network programming and equipment.

Materials: up to 200' of Rg-6 cable;coaxial connectors;grounding equipment;weather sealant for connections and structure penetrations; wall plates,bushings and fittings as needed;mount hardware(standard eave,chimney,tripod,pole with up to 50' of trenching cable.

If the tech tries to charge you tell him to read the back of the service agreement. Hope this helps.

3 Posts
Years ago we switched to Dish from regular antenna. Regular cable customers for years we tried saving moving with free tv.
In disgust :( we gave in and settled on Dish. Now that we are switching back to Free tv (HD channels are pretty cool and so are the multiple channels) we find that the Dish installer sacrificed many many feet of existing coax (coming out of our wall behind a bookcase) leading from our old antenna...leaving a stubby hole behind & no more wire to be pulled out :nono2:.

Outside of digging out the wall to install more wire and reconnecting the antenna that way, I wonder if the cable from the roof dish (located nearby our old antenna) can be connected to our antenna and used instead?
:confused::confused::confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.