DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Legend
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see that Cox cable has a lot more 3D than Directv.

They have a Freezone (for free) that has a bunch of stuff. They also have HBO3D (free with an HBO subscription), Starz 3D (free with a Starz subscription), and about 20 different 3D pay per view movies at this moment.

Is Directv planning on catching up? I would think we could at least get a 3D pay per view VOD channel, and the HBO and Starz 3D channels.

Really, I want every 3D channel that is being broadcast on any provider.

Any rumors that we will get a bone thrown our way anytime soon?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,603 Posts
Somewhere or other, a few months back, there was an article that had a D* source saying that 3DTV wasn't moving the marketing needle as much as they had hoped. . . so I wouldn't count on it, when they seem to be bandwidth limited right now.

·
Legend
628 Posts
I would agree that 3d is not catching on. Look at the number of homes who still have a 4 x 3 CRT television, which is quite high and look at the number of homes that did purchase one flat screen.
I would think 3d is not worth the investment and I would never purchase a 3d tv myself. Maybe when the technology comes out where we see 3d projection like r2d2 in the first production of Star Wars. Then I would purchase this type of technology.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
I would love to see DIRECTV add HBO and Starz 3D on demand content. It must be a $'s thing since this wouldn't take any additional bandwidth that could be used for other services. Other then that IMHO DIRECTV has a nice line up of 3D channels. While maybe not as much as your Cox system compared to my TWC which has only ESPN3D at $10/month extra I'm happy with three full time channels which don't cost me anything to view.

·
Legend
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dod1450 said:
I would agree that 3d is not catching on. Look at the number of homes who still have a 4 x 3 CRT television, which is quite high and look at the number of homes that did purchase one flat screen.
I would think 3d is not worth the investment and I would never purchase a 3d tv myself. Maybe when the technology comes out where we see 3d projection like r2d2 in the first production of Star Wars. Then I would purchase this type of technology.
This is the same thing people said about HDTV a few years ago, and color tv back in the day. 3D is the next wave and soon every tv sold will be 3D. Once you get one you will never want to buy a 2D tv again. If you don't think 3D is taking off, just look at the top grossing movies every year. Almost all of the top grossing movies are 3D every year. These big movies eventually hit bluray and HBO, Starz, pay per view, etc.

RAD said:
I would love to see DIRECTV add HBO and Starz 3D on demand content. It must be a $'s thing since this wouldn't take any additional bandwidth that could be used for other services. Other then that IMHO DIRECTV has a nice line up of 3D channels. While maybe not as much as your Cox system compared to my TWC which has only ESPN3D at $10/month extra I'm happy with three full time channels which don't cost me anything to view.
I don't have Cox, I have Directv. I was just comparing what Cox offers to what I currently have. Directv's 3D is certainly better than nothing, but it is not as good as what the competition is offering. It's like they just offer enough to say they have 3D, but they aren't trying to be anyone's first choice for 3D.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
RAD said:
There really isn't any linear channels out there (or announced) to add.

However... we know more HBO onDemand content is coming, so perhaps there's hope for HBO 3D content. :confused:

~Alan

·
Icon
883 Posts
"BlackDynamite" said:
This is the same thing people said about HDTV a few years ago, and color tv back in the day. 3D is the next wave and soon every tv sold will be 3D.
3D has been "coming soon" for a long time. I've watched 3D TV. I don't want it. I have a son with a 3D TV. He doesn't care about it.

3D movies are one thing, 3D TV is another.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,428 Posts
BlackDynamite said:
This is the same thing people said about HDTV a few years ago, and color tv back in the day.
The difference is that HDTV never looked back while 3D appears to have lost significant ground in terms of excitement and interest.

The truth is that Cox, being a terrestrial broadcaster, has the bandwidth to offer the content on-demand within their relatively small service area. DIRECTV doesn't have the infrastructure to cover the nation with on-demand content through their satellite constellation.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
harsh said:
DIRECTV doesn't have the infrastructure to cover the nation with on-demand content through their satellite constellation.
They don't need to use their satellites to support On Demand content, just like what Dish does for their 3D PPV movies, they have no 3D on their satellites.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
BlackDynamite said:
I don't have Cox, I have Directv. I was just comparing what Cox offers to what I currently have. Directv's 3D is certainly better than nothing, but it is not as good as what the competition is offering. It's like they just offer enough to say they have 3D, but they aren't trying to be anyone's first choice for 3D.
Aside from some onDemand content, DirecTV offers every 3D channel available... including their own. I'd say DirecTV's doing good! :D

dualsub2006 said:
3D has been "coming soon" for a long time. I've watched 3D TV. I don't want it. I have a son with a 3D TV. He doesn't care about it.

Are you referring to the fact that you like 3D in the theater, but not at home, or you like movies in 3D, but not television content?! :confused:

harsh said:
The difference is that HDTV never looked back while 3D appears to have lost significant ground in terms of excitement and interest.
Because 3D was expected to be the "next big thing." That was foolish. That being said... 3DTV will most likely be here to stay... :)

~Alan

·
Hall Of Fame
1,603 Posts
We have a 60" 3DTV, the adapter it requires (Mits) to show 3D, and two pair of 3D glasses. Had the 3D capability (i.e. the adapter and glasses) for over a year now.

We watched the Treasure Houses of Britain series (that was cool) in 3D some months ago, and so far that's it. The wife is not a fan of the glasses thing. I might try out some major sporting events that way.

As long as the glasses are involved, I don't think it will ever be as dominant as HD. But that doesn't mean it will go away. It's clear the theater owners and movie makers are driving it, and they won't give up easy.

·
Legend
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dualsub2006 said:

3D is not "coming soon." It's been here for a few years now. 3D movies are not any different from 3D tv. 3D movies are what everyone watches on their 3D tv, and they look just as good in my house as they do in the theater. It's also pretty awesome to watch sports in 3D. I'm not sure what you watched in 3D, but movies and sports are pretty awesome.

harsh said:

The truth is that Cox, being a terrestrial broadcaster, has the bandwidth to offer the content on-demand within their relatively small service area. DIRECTV doesn't have the infrastructure to cover the nation with on-demand content through their satellite constellation.
3D hasn't lost any ground, not sure where that came from. There is more 3D content available every year. More and more movies are made, and more and more channels are popping up (HBO 3D and Starz 3D for example). Sales of 3D TVs are the highest ever.
As for bandwidth- isn't on demand all done via the internet anyway? I know mine is at least. So directv's bandwidth is a non issue as far as adding 3D on demand.

Alan Gordon said:
Aside from some onDemand content, DirecTV offers every 3D channel available... including their own. I'd say DirecTV's doing good! :D
Well Directv was only showing ESPN 3D part time until a couple months ago. It's full time now but we're still missing the HBO and Starz 3D channels, a pay per view on demand channel, and a few more 3D live broadcast pay per view channels wouldn't hurt either. As it is right now, we have 1 channel that shows the same movie over and over for like a week. And it only has about 3 or so movies that it rotates through in a whole month.

I'm happy Directv has something. But when I look at what Cox offers, it makes me think Directv is starting to lag behind the competition.

·
Legend
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
georule said:
We have a 60" 3DTV, the adapter it requires (Mits) to show 3D, and two pair of 3D glasses. Had the 3D capability (i.e. the adapter and glasses) for over a year now.

We watched the Treasure Houses of Britain series (that was cool) in 3D some months ago, and so far that's it. The wife is not a fan of the glasses thing. I might try out some major sporting events that way.

As long as the glasses are involved, I don't think it will ever be as dominant as HD. But that doesn't mean it will go away. It's clear the theater owners and movie makers are driving it, and they won't give up easy.
The passive 3D TVs they are selling use the same glasses as the RealD theaters. No adapters needed, you can view it from practically any angle, the glasses are only about $1 per pair, and the glasses don't require power or syncing or any of that. They're lightweight and just like a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses (exactly the same as what they give you at a 3D movie theater). It makes it a lot easier to get into it.

I don't think 3D will ever take off in the sense that you sit down and watch Seinfeld in 3D. But I do think it is becoming the standard for movies, sports, and some documentaries (among other things).

·
Hall Of Fame
6,226 Posts
BlackDynamite said:
So I see that Cox cable has a lot more 3D than Directv.

They have a Freezone (for free) that has a bunch of stuff. They also have HBO3D (free with an HBO subscription), Starz 3D (free with a Starz subscription), and about 20 different 3D pay per view movies at this moment.

Is Directv planning on catching up? I would think we could at least get a 3D pay per view VOD channel, and the HBO and Starz 3D channels.

Really, I want every 3D channel that is being broadcast on any provider.

Any rumors that we will get a bone thrown our way anytime soon?
3D is fad. I went to Sears last night and they had 1 set.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
BlackDynamite said:
Well Directv was only showing ESPN 3D part time until a couple months ago. It's full time now but we're still missing the HBO and Starz 3D channels, a pay per view on demand channel, and a few more 3D live broadcast pay per view channels wouldn't hurt either. As it is right now, we have 1 channel that shows the same movie over and over for like a week. And it only has about 3 or so movies that it rotates through in a whole month.

I'm happy Directv has something. But when I look at what Cox offers, it makes me think Directv is starting to lag behind the competition.
ESPN 3D went full time in late July... a little longer than a couple of months ago.

HBO and Starz are full-time linear channels?! I thought you said they were onDemand?

I'm just asking what DirecTV is missing... :confused:

~Alan

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
sigma1914 said:
Sears is your measuring stick for TV tech? :lol:
I was once told by a Sears employee that HD was so much clearer because it was widescreen. :D

I was once told by another Sears employee that Sone Wega TVs were pronounced "WAY-GUH". :D

~Alan

·
Legend
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Paul Secic said:
3D is fad. I went to Sears last night and they had 1 set.
Sounds like Sears is a store for old timers or a ghetto store or something, lol. Check Best Buy. I'm sure they sell a lot more TVs than Sears and they have plenty of 3D TVs.

Alan Gordon said:
ESPN 3D went full time in late July... a little longer than a couple of months ago.

HBO and Starz are full-time linear channels?! I thought you said they were onDemand?

I'm just asking what DirecTV is missing... :confused:

~Alan
Yes, Starz and HBO 3D are only on demand. I never said that though, lol. I actually thought they were regular over the air live broadcasts until your post just made made double check, lol.

On the ESPN 3D thing, the channel was only part time on Directv for several months while it was full time on all the other providers. I'm happy Directv finally started carrying it full time eventually, but for several months it was only part time.

As for what's missing, the main thing I would like to see is a couple more pay per view live broadcast channels. I would also like to see a pay per view on demand channel. And of course the HBO and Starz on demand (which I had previously thought were live broadcast). I don't think that's asking too much.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.