DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mentor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Western Digital 1TB external drive some time back and have been meaning to hook it up to my HR20... well the HR20 died and had to be replaced so I thought this was the perfect time as I had already lost all of my recordings anyway...

4 hours after initial setup of the new HR20-700 I powered the HR20 down.... connected the 1TB drive... powered up the drive... waited 2 minutes... connected power back to the HR20....

Blue screen DTV DVR is powering up... followed by "Almost there a few more seconds" which stays on screen for about 2 minutes then a white screen (no signal) for about 30 seconds then back to Almost there a few more seconds.....

This has been going on for over 30 minutes now.... surely this cannot be the formatting process????

·
Mentor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By re-initialize, do you mean with everything powered down... first power up the external drive then after a couple of minutes power up the HR20?

Am I supposed to get some type of "screen" or message telling me it is formatting the drive?

Is there a panel command that I can use to force it to format the drive?

Thanks for your response...

·
Hall Of Fame
1,183 Posts
I have no experience with that drive myself, but that's what I've read. You might look in the "esata has been enabled, but..." and "known working esata setups" threads. Those may not be the exact thread names, but something to that effect. Once in the thread, use the "search this thread" feature to find posts with "book" in them. That may help.

·
Mentor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DarinC said:
I have no experience with that drive myself, but that's what I've read. You might look in the "esata has been enabled, but..." and "known working esata setups" threads. Those may not be the exact thread names, but something to that effect. Once in the thread, use the "search this thread" feature to find posts with "book" in them. That may help.
thanks I appreciate the suggestion... I have already read for several hours in that thread (it is pretty huge) and that is where I found the statement by the fellow that was using a 500G My Book without issue...... mine is the 1TB version and perhaps that makes a difference... or it could be something else in his setup........

·
Icon
624 Posts
FWIW, I was using the drive from a WD 1 TB My Book drive in an Antec MX1 external drive enclosure hooked up to my HR20-700. I thought it was working fine but after a few days or weeks it would start not recording data from the HR20. When trying to play a recording from the List, the Keep/Delete box would immediately pop up. The only way I found to clear the problem was ye olde red button reboot.

I had read in the forums that the My Book drives would not work with an HR20 and thought I'd found a way around it by using the drive in a different enclosure.

This WD drive is one of the newer WD "Green" drives, and I suspect that may have something to with the problem.

Before giving up, you might try a different eSata cable - and keep it as short as possible.

·
Mentor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I plan on ordering another eSATA cable from Monoprice and see if it makes any difference... however it is a bit of a bummer that the My Book does not seem to function... as that is what I bought several of at Costco.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.