DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
TheRatPatrol said:
I thought they were skipping 4k and going straight to 8k?
And miss out on that $25k from all the nerds that will jump in and get one, even before there is any media to use it with? 8K will only come out when they have milked the 4K folks for all their money :)

Should we start a 4K/8K HD anticipation thread now, or wait?

I can see it now...Hello valued customer. What would you like to order tonight?
Customer: I would like to order ESPN
Provider: Would you like ESPN SD, ESPN HD, ESPN 3D, ESPN 4K, or ESON 8K?
Customer: Never mind.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Davenlr said:
Is the 3D signal on Blu-Ray already in 1080P 3D, or would it require new discs/players?
Current displays take the 1080P 3D and split it into 2 540P phases to get the 3D effect ending up with a picture not much sharper than 480P DVD's. The 4K panels can display 1080P in each phase essentially giving the same sharpness of the current 1080P 2D sets.

Not certain if a different BD player is needed though.

· Hall Of Fame
3,937 Posts
As extravagant as that sounds, I bought an Advent Videobeam 1000A in 1977 for $4,500, which works out to almost as much, and all I could watch on it was local broadcast TV, and with its curved, reflective screen, it had a seating area aperature of about maybe 40 to 50 degrees.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Sony's new Ultra HD 4K 84" LED LCD TV is on sale....$25,000. For content, you have to buy their 4K hard disc server player (no price specified] and you get a whopping 10 movies in 4K. Thats it. 10 movies. If the format catches on, they might make more. Give me a break. For $25,000, I should be able to get Luke Skywalker to fight Darth Vader on my living room sofa!

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/20...-for-the-home-now-available-for-consumers.php

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Davenlr said:
Sony's new Ultra HD 4K 84" LED LCD TV is on sale....$25,000. For content, you have to buy their 4K hard disc server player (no price specified] and you get a whopping 10 movies in 4K. Thats it. 10 movies. If the format catches on, they might make more. Give me a break. For $25,000, I should be able to get Luke Skywalker to fight Darth Vader on my living room sofa!

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/20...-for-the-home-now-available-for-consumers.php
Report I read said they're throwing in the player with the TV. Somebody will buy one.

Rich

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.