DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 33 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,454 Posts
It may be interesting to note whether DIRECTV customers are getting routed differently from AT&T customers. Most who are getting US reps would seem to be DIRECTV customers.

26,454 Posts
She said I would remain NOT under contract but to check and make sure after my installation.
The likelihood that she was being truthful here is pretty low. Once you've been awarded a commitment, it is near impossible to get rid of it so check early and often.
I accepted it but said if I found out I was under contract for 2 years I would ask for that discount to be extended for 24 months.
You can try, but I can't recall hearing of anyone who was able to correct issues that didn't go as promised or requested.

Again, it is imperative that you check up on your account status after the upgrade.

26,454 Posts
Me personally I wouldn't go to cable for video . If u don't have fiber available that I guess you like me and have to use docsis for broadband
You would benefit greatly (and we wouldn't have to hear about it anymore) if you got over your vendetta against DOCSIS. DOCSIS is not the problem and to use it as a pseudonym for cable company provided broadband is wrong if for no other reason than it hides the true culprit; any beef your might have is directly with your cable operator.

26,454 Posts
I get your point, but I was already paying over $2200/year, which is simply outrageous.
That works out to about $183.33/month. The DIRECTV Average Revenue Per Unit is probably upwards of $150 so while you're above average, it isn't outrageous. Some are paying well upwards of $200.

26,454 Posts
So because their prices are outrageously high in general, that makes the pricing ok?
If you want DIRECTV, you can't expect to pay Sling TV pricing.
I don't follow your logic. Wait - "probably upwards" - so you are just assuming that figure, or do you actually have a source for this alleged "average revenue per unit"?
The most recent figure I saw was from EoY 2020 and the ARPU was $137.64 for the combination of DIRECTV, the AT&T TV and Uverse. DIRECTV is the most expensive option by far. Between 2018 and 2020, the corporate TV ARPU went up $15.88. Because the numbers for each division are combined in the financial reports, it isn't possible to calculate what the divisional numbers are.

Back yonder when DIRECTV was on their own, their EoY 2014 ARPU was $117.30 and was climbing at a rate of 4.7% per annum. Extending that to 2021 would give an ARPU of $161.57 and that doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility given the numbers that have been shared here.

I reason that those with lesser packages are much more likely to leave for cheaper options as their needs may be more easily met by alternatives that at least appear to be cheaper.

Going forward, the AT&T TV Now numbers will be rolled into the corporate (New DIRECTV) numbers and that will further slant the ARPU numbers downward relative to the satellite service numbers.

26,454 Posts
Not sure why you aren't seeing it but HBO Max on the Apple TV has a thumbnail preview that you can clearly see while fast forwarding and it is smoother than the full screen fast forward on the Genie.
GordonGekko made mention of that in the second sentence. The lament is that while you'll find that on Netflix, you won't find it on DIRECTV Stream (with an ATV).

26,454 Posts

26,454 Posts
So, if you have the Choice package, are you supposed to still get charged the separate $7.80 Regional Sports fee (in my case for Bally Detroit)?
The Regional Sports Fee applies to all packages above Entertainment.

26,454 Posts
Jeepers my DSL price has not changed in some time, 5+ years, if I recall.
Given the competitive pressures from other broadband schemes as well as the improvements in technology, it had better not. Comcast used to double my speed when they realized that they weren't competitive.

26,454 Posts
And since DIRECTV is wholly owned by two companies (AT&T and TPG) they don't have stockholders.
As a joint venture, AT&T and TPG are the DIRECTV stockholders. AT&T is the "majority stockholder" and TPG is the "minority stockholder".

The difference is that joint ventures aren't required to publicly report their financials. Either partner can choose to publish results of the JV as part of their own.

26,454 Posts
Nice I keep reading about this "all included " package i may need to call
All included doesn't change the bill, it just presents less line items on the bill. There are several things that aren't included in "All Included" such as additional TV fees and RSN fees. "All Included" is DIRECTV's version of everyone else's "unlimited" in our modern world of misleading plan naming.

26,454 Posts
Are people still receiving $5 off per month for paperless billing and autopay?
That depends on your account. With accounts established in the last few years you only get the autopay discount during your 12 month "honeymoon" then it goes away.

1 - 16 of 33 Posts