DBSTalk Forum banner
2341 - 2360 of 3237 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got $60 a month off for a year last month I have old grandfathered total choice and 4 receivers and have been a customer for 25 years. I have got this same discount for the last 3 years but had to call several times to do so.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Icon
3,822 Posts
Just had the easiest call ever using (800) 824-9077

Picked up after a single ring, gave me $70 off for the next year starting with my May bill (my $60/off drops off in a couple of weeks).
They didn't say anything about having to wait til the current promo drops off? Mine ends on 4/23.

·
Godfather
502 Posts
They didn't say anything about having to wait til the current promo drops off? Mine ends on 4/23.
He said it would be either applied now or after the next billing cycle (mine ends on 4/15). I just checked and it was actually applied in my account already so I'll have a $0 balance this month (since it's combined with the last month of the previous discount)

Comes up as a $70 credit:

04/04/2020 XTRA - $70/12months ($70.00) ($4.90)
04/04/2020 High Valued Customer - Charge $0.00 $0.00

·
Icon
3,822 Posts
Just had the easiest call ever using (800) 824-9077

Picked up after a single ring, gave me $70 off for the next year starting with my May bill (my $60/off drops off in a couple of weeks).
Mine expires on the 24th, and I gave it a whirl today and they said no new promo yet. I'll try back closer to the 24th. With no promo, I'll be up to $130... lol, I can go pretty much ANYWHERE traditional or streaming or even hybrid like TVision and beat the pants off of that.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,056 Posts
Mine expires on the 24th, and I gave it a whirl today and they said no new promo yet. I'll try back closer to the 24th. With no promo, I'll be up to $130... lol, I can go pretty much ANYWHERE traditional or streaming or even hybrid like TVision and beat the pants off of that.
Yep, $130 would get you probably everything there is to stream with the possible exception of some of ATT TVs subscription levels! :)

In all of that live sports, when that becomes a thing again, is still an issue with streaming though not a horrible one.

·
Icon
3,822 Posts
Yep, $130 would get you probably everything there is to stream with the possible exception of some of ATT TVs subscription levels! :)

In all of that live sports, when that becomes a thing again, is still an issue with streaming though not a horrible one.
I've been on promos for 10+ yrs. I was surprised that DMRI2006 said he got his promo re-upped while the old one was still active. It's always been my experience you have to wait for them to fall off, but I gave it a whirl early anyways.

My interest in sports is < 0, so that's a non-issue. I DEFINITELY won't be going AT&T TV. Right now I'm leaning towards TVision, but when I went to see it in the store, they were supposedly having internet issues, so the PQ wasn't that great. I didn't get a chance to check out another stuff B.C. (before Corona). I think they have a 2 week trial where I can try it at home and see if I like it.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,056 Posts
I’m not eligible for TVision though it looks good, more than I would want to spend though.
I have YouTubeTV and it has a good selection of channels and content for a fair price. You might want to give them a whirl.

·
Icon
3,822 Posts
I'm not eligible for TVision though it looks good, more than I would want to spend though.
I have YouTubeTV and it has a good selection of channels and content for a fair price. You might want to give them a whirl.
Ya I looked at the OTT services (on paper). Not for me. I'd need 3 of them to get MOST of the channels I watch and I'd still be missing some. With 3 services, I'm in the $70-$80 range and missing a bunch of channels. Plus the hassle of juggling 3 apps with 3 different behaviors and UIs.

So $100/mo (well, $105 with taxes) for TVision out the door is better then $130 out the door for DirecTV. But hopefully DirecTV will get me back down to what I'm paying now which is $89.99 out the door.

Then again, IF they do get me back down to $89.99, then its getting pretty close to TVision which has 4K support. My HR54 doesn't. Upgrading to the HS17 means a huge hassle with dish & lnb swaps, etc. And the HS17, the form factor of the box and the fact that I need TWO boxes to use it with one TV in the house is a non starter for me. The HS17 won't fit in my entertainment center, especially not with having to have an additional client there too. Plus the HS17 doesn't work with OTA I think, right? With TVision, I don't even need the OTA since I'm in LA, they have the LA locals like Cox does. So I get stuff like Cozi and PBS and Smithsonian is included where its extra on DTV.

I haven't run out of tuners on the HR54, but the TVision can do 8.

I really wish the TMobile stores were open so I could go check it out at a store without "internet issues".

·
Hall Of Fame
6,056 Posts
For me, YTTV is only missing Paramount. But since it is at most 2 shows I”m interested in, I’ll either forgo them, buy a season or sub to Philo for a short period when they start back up.

·
Godfather
502 Posts
$130 is pretty much where I would be without the promo also. At this point we have plenty of other options and mean it when we try and negotiate lol.

Could just be the CSR I had, who knows. I was calling to get an exact date on when they expired and usually you do have to wait for them to run out. This one rep was pretty receptive to "seeing what was in there" and said the $70/mo. offer was available. He just didn't know if I'd see it now or in a few weeks (it's there already).

·
Icon
3,822 Posts
$130 is pretty much where I would be without the promo also. At this point we have plenty of other options and mean it when we try and negotiate lol.

Could just be the CSR I had, who knows. I was calling to get an exact date on when they expired and usually you do have to wait for them to run out. This one rep was pretty receptive to "seeing what was in there" and said the $70/mo. offer was available. He just didn't know if I'd see it now or in a few weeks (it's there already).
If I can get $70/mo off on a $130/mo bill, I ain't going nowhere lol.

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
I called and got 65 off for 12 months too

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: compnurd

·
Godfather
502 Posts
Are they not doing discounts over chat any more?
Chat seems like it may have been pulled offline totally, at least it wasn't available at all last week.

In general, though, you're better off calling anyway. You might get a small discount from a regular CSR that staffs the chat (they'd offer $10 or $20 the few times I tried it), but for the real discounts you have to call and actually talk to someone in retention/loyalty.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
We have been DTV customers for 22 years and like so many we are trying to lower our bill. Before we call I have a few questions, what if any of the following could we do without or are all of the following required for service? If I understand my bill correctly, my starting point is 56 a month before any actual programming is selected.
Whole Home DVR $3.00 - I don’t think we use this, since we have a DVR box at both tv’s.
Multiple Directv’s - $14.00 (we only have two tv’s but one is 4K so we have to pay for three boxes, however my bill states one box fee is waived)
Advanced HD Receiver - $10.00 - Can we switch to a regular non-advanced HD receiver?
Advanced DVR Receiver -$10.00 -Can we switch to a regular non-advanced DVR?
Regional Sports Fee - $10.00 (I was told this fee is required in the Washington DC area) we do not subscribe to any sports packages.
Protection Plan - $9.00 (a few years ago our satellite dish and box was struck by a power surge during thunderstorm and we were only charged $400.00 instead of over a grand for a new dish and HD DVR box if we elected the protection plan) so we could probably cancel this now. Our only programming is the ultimate package for $120 and the movie extra package for $5 for a total of $183 a month. Do you think we stand a chance for a 1 year credit of over 80 bucks a month to get our bill below a $100?

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
I have the protection plan and have had good results

Had the dish moved a few times due to new roof etc
New stb replaced and tech came same day

And with the extra protection they replaced replaced my 13 year old lcd due to a bad mother board

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
We have been DTV customers for 22 years and like so many we are trying to lower our bill. Before we call I have a few questions, what if any of the following could we do without or are all of the following required for service? If I understand my bill correctly, my starting point is 56 a month before any actual programming is selected.
Whole Home DVR $3.00 - I don't think we use this, since we have a DVR box at both tv's.
Multiple Directv's - $14.00 (we only have two tv's but one is 4K so we have to pay for three boxes, however my bill states one box fee is waived)
Advanced HD Receiver - $10.00 - Can we switch to a regular non-advanced HD receiver?
Advanced DVR Receiver -$10.00 -Can we switch to a regular non-advanced DVR?
Regional Sports Fee - $10.00 (I was told this fee is required in the Washington DC area) we do not subscribe to any sports packages.
Protection Plan - $9.00 (a few years ago our satellite dish and box was struck by a power surge during thunderstorm and we were only charged $400.00 instead of over a grand for a new dish and HD DVR box if we elected the protection plan) so we could probably cancel this now. Our only programming is the ultimate package for $120 and the movie extra package for $5 for a total of $183 a month. Do you think we stand a chance for a 1 year credit of over 80 bucks a month to get our bill below a $100?
So some things with those charges:
  • Whole-Home DVR $3.00 - Even if both TVs have a HD-DVR box they can still share recordings with each other. If you have a Genie HD-DVR (HR44+) then this fee is required and can't be removed. If you have non-Genie hardware (i.e. two HR24's) then you can call in to have this service removed however each DVR is limited to content on their HDD.
  • Advance Receiver - HD - Can't be removed as long as you have (1) HD receiver. D* no longer offers SD receivers for lease only HD receivers. Since you are paying for HD service your 1st/Primary receiver is $0.00/mo.
  • Advance Receiver - DVR - Can't be removed if you have a DVR like the Genie. You can downgrade to HD receivers or Genie Lite however there would be a one time lease fee of $99 per box to downgrade.
  • Multiple TVs - So if you have a total of 3 receivers but two TVs on the 4K TV you can remove the non-4K receiver to save $7/mo. 4K TVs only need the C61K Client connected while the other TV should have the Genie (HR54).
Since you mentioned Ultimate I would possibly look into either:
  • Xtra (if your not watching the Starz/Encore channels [535-542], The Movie Channel East/West [553-554], Univision Deportes/TUDN [464] and the Cowboy Channel [604]). Downgrading to that package would save $11/mo.
  • Preferred Xtra - If you are not a sports fan this package only comes with ESPN, ESPN 2, NBC Sports Network and Fox Sports 1 for sports. It removes all other sports channels and the Regional Sports Fee.
    • This package doesn't include Nick Jr. [301], Universal Kids [295] and FM [386] from Xtra & Ultimate.
    • Downgrading to this package would save you $13/mo plus whatever the RSN fee is in your area since it doesn't include those channels. (Example: For someone downgrading from Ultimate to Preferred Xtra with the maximum RSN fee [$9.99] the monthly savings would be up to $22.99/mo)
    • If you want to keep the Starz/Encore channels but want to ditch the sports channels & RSN Fee a rep can move you to Preferred Xtra and add only the Starz/Encore channels on as an a la carte service for $7.99/mo (just be sure to specifically ask for the Encore a la carte add-on option so they don't get confused with Starz.) If your account is managed by ATT.com you can add this add-on on your own.
In regards to the discount best way to find out is calling AT&T/DirecTV and getting over to the loyalty department and see if they have any 12 month discounts available. Discounts/offers are specific to the individual account and the amount one may get can vary.

There have been some people on this very thread being offered up to $70 off for 12 months but YMMV. My mother called this month and she was able to get $50/12 for example which is good size discount for her bill.

Reactions: yobear
2341 - 2360 of 3237 Posts