DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of the only persons I know that constantly uses 3"ers. At Walmart the shelf is always full with the Memorex 10 packs. Is it that most people want the maximum capacity or because people don't know pocket CD's exist. Not only do I use the 3" CD-Rs for my camera but in one night I can easily download 24 minutes of music and burn and listen the next day w/o wasting a 80Min CD. I'm always taking a small CD to school, it's amazing the reactions I get. And next time some kid calls it a mini disc I'm gonna strangle the poor misguided sole. CDs and MDs are 2 completely different formats, why can't my peers understand that.

BTW- For those that do use the 3" CDs-Rs, WalMart now sells the Memorex for $3 LESS then they used to. Price is now $6.99 for a 10 pack including slim cases. Now I wish they sold the RWs and for that price.

· God Bless America!
2,534 Posts
They're nice for handouts to people because they create interest (to most people they're still unusual) and make people look. However, for several reasons (must use a tray loading reader, very little capacity, a few people are even afraid they'll break their CD reader (no kidding - there are people THAT uneducated)) they aren't practical for daily use. Plus - they cost way more!

· God Bless America!
2,534 Posts
Did I say I supported MiniDisc? No. I just said I was surprised Steve's friends couldn't tell the difference, because I know that at least here MiniDisc is incredibly popular. I don't own a MiniDisc system myself however... Have thought of buying one, but decided not to. MiniDisc does have some nice advantages but over all I don't like it too well.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MD is not popular around here, in fact there are probably more 3" CDs sold here then MDs. I have only seen one mini disc player in real life. Mini Disc is not a bad format, it's got some advantages over CDs, but it never really became as big as Sony and other backers hoped it would.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
I understand that the MD is the preferred medium in Japan and that part of the world. So it will be around as long as there are enough to keep it around. I've been tempted to try the 3" CD-R but since the 5" are sooo inexpensive, even wasting 1/2 of a 5" by burning 400MB only before passing it to someone isn't much of a sin anymore.

· New Texan
11,467 Posts
There are some players that will only take the 3" mini-disc, and they can come in handy. However, the 5" is still cheapter than the 3".

In the past year, I have been through 2 car radios. The Aiwa that I got as a Christmas present (which was pretty good, but stopped playing CDs) would only take the 5" CDs. The Pioneer that replaced it takes both the 3" and the 5". However, the only music CD that I have in my collection is the Doctorin' The TARDIS CD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.