DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Legend
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this was just my unit, but particularly on Sunday the HR20 was extremely sluggish. Channel changes went to 7-8 seconds (at least a three second delay before even the banner came up) and menu items, deleting programs, and navigation through the menus was very slow as well.

The best way to describe it would be like in Windows when an application has "stopped responding" and is eating up all the memory and processor cycles.

My unit never crashed, and did record everything it was supposed to - so no complaints there. I'm still on 0xFA and have native mode set to "off". I'm curious if anyone else experienced this or if I was just lucky.

Steve

·
Legend
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bonscott87 said:
Nope, no troubles here and I was flopping between a dozen Sunday Ticket channels all day and using the Interactive features. My last reset was about 2 weeks ago.
Funny, Sunday Ticket was terrible for me (delay-wise). And I couldn't get the interactive features to work as well. (A lot of folks would consider that a feature, not a bug -- but I like it)

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Mine was very slow for the first time ever. Red button reset and all is fine.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Mine was normal - had our last red-button reset two weeks ago, channel changes are sluggish (as they have always been under 0xFA for us), but that's about it. No missed or failed recordings in 2-1/2 weeks since that awful first experience trying to record ch.95 for the NFL Network HD game.

·
Godfather
440 Posts
I've noticed a big slowdown in guide surfing the last few days. Channel changing has always been slow. (native off)

·
AllStar
93 Posts
spolaski said:
I don't know if this was just my unit, but particularly on Sunday the HR20 was extremely sluggish. Channel changes went to 7-8 seconds (at least a three second delay before even the banner came up) and menu items, deleting programs, and navigation through the menus was very slow as well.

Mine has been getting slower and slower. I timed it 7 seconds !!
This is a real pain for me. Anyone with the latested download have this or was it repaired with download.

I don't think a red reset every week is the answer and I wonder if it is any good for the unit.

EARL are they working on this ?

·
Legend
107 Posts
The guide surfing is pathetically slow. It was slow before that last update, then was quite a bit faster after the update (reboot), then got slower and slower as the days past. I hate to do a reset just to get a faster guide.

I have not noticed anything other than the guide and channel changing being slow.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Yeah, mine has seemed a little slow. However, the slowing has only been noticeable on the channel changes. Every other feature seems to be working at the regular speed.

On occassion, which seems to be happening more frequently, a channel change will produce a blank screen (which if I am patient) will eventually show the picture. It just takes about four of five seconds.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
581 Posts
Mine too has gotten very slow - both in channel surfing and in using the guide.

Earl - Any input from D* on the OTA update - I would think by now they have the data they need to decide if they want to roll it out.

·
AllStar
52 Posts
The slowdown happened to me Saturday night. The HR20 did act like a old computer using Windows 95, sticking and freezing regularly. I would try to move the yellow cursor in the playlist, but the cursor would stick to the very first program on the list even though I could actually scroll from one saved program to another and open it.

Viewing the TV guide was terrible. I'd scroll down and see blanks where the program information used to be. If I pulled the cursor down, I would see information on each line reveal itself. Very strange.

I pressed the red reset button Sunday morning and all has been fine since then.

·
Icon
545 Posts
Mine has been slowing down since 0xfa!
It locked up last night and would not power back on, remote or front panel!
Unplugged for 5 mins, came back but speed has not improved!!
This is worse than missed recordings as far as I'm concerned!!

·
Mentor
45 Posts
I had the same slow down. I have been noticing it for a few days. A red button reset fixed it. I haven't had to reset it in a while, though.

·
Legend
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, at least I wasn't alone. I guess I'll do a RBR tonight when I go to bed.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
And I thought I was the only one! LOL! IMO D* has taken a large step backwards with this new product. From what I'm seeing on this forum, this product still deserves a lot of R&D time before it should have been released. I feel like I just spent all of my hard earned money to be a guinea pig for someone else.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
126 Posts
spolaski said:
You are not alone, unfortunately for me. My HR20 became very sluggish about 3 days ago. It is especially slow during channel changes. Mine is slow on all channel changes, not just Sunday Ticket channels. I have Native Res set to off. This current normal channel changing is slower than when Native is on and you get that nasty channel change picture on your screen when you go from a 480i channel to a 720p or 1080i channel.

Is a red button reset the solution o every issue with this box? I will try this tonight and see what happens.

Maybe the new software update (with OTA) will solve this issue. We'll soon see...

·
Cool Member
31 Posts
I had the same problem. First noticed it on Sunday as well. Will try a reset if its still acting up today.

·
Legend
176 Posts
spolaski said:
You are definitely not alone, mine has been very slow. I don't like doing the RBR because I don't like being without a guide for a day. I guess I'll try it tonight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.