DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mentor
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week, my sister in law was visiting and told me the HD receiver (H21)in our guest bedroom wasn't working. Tried looking at it myself, ended up calling tech support and was sent a new receiver. Now tonight, I go in my bedroom and our HR23-700 DVR is dead. I noticed that the fan that's visible thru the vent on the left side of the unit tries to spin when it's plugged in but it won't. It looks and sounds more like the second hand on a wall clock that's stuck in place. Called D* again and sure enough, it's going to need replaced. Due to this being the 2nd unit in less than 2 weeks, they told me before they can issue the new receiver that someone needed to call and ask me some questions.

Has anyone else ever encountered this? We've had several storms roll thru the last few weeks. I wonder if lightning has done something to them. The omlt thing is everything else in those outlets still works.

·
Icon
914 Posts
You should be happy. You may get a newer/new unit for free or nearly no cost. Hard drives die all the time, that's why I'm glad I don't own the ones in the DVR's. The H21 is old, so I can see that biting the dust.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
ericmylad said:
So last week, my sister in law was visiting and told me the HD receiver (H21)in our guest bedroom wasn't working. Tried looking at it myself, ended up calling tech support and was sent a new receiver. Now tonight, I go in my bedroom and our HR23-700 DVR is dead. I noticed that the fan that's visible thru the vent on the left side of the unit tries to spin when it's plugged in but it won't. It looks and sounds more like the second hand on a wall clock that's stuck in place. Called D* again and sure enough, it's going to need replaced. Due to this being the 2nd unit in less than 2 weeks, they told me before they can issue the new receiver that someone needed to call and ask me some questions.

Has anyone else ever encountered this? We've had several storms roll thru the last few weeks. I wonder if lightning has done something to them. The omlt thing is everything else in those outlets still works.
I have, but it was years ago. I did have one 23 a couple years ago and it lasted a week. Lesson learned. You might want to put a UPS device on those receivers, that will give you some peace of mind.

Rich

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
ericmylad said:

To answer your question, yes. After the 0x4a6 update (not saying it was the cause, just a starting point) my HR22-100 became very sluggish when menu surfing and channel changing. Then came the freeze ups (not responding to remote commands or button presses on receiver). Tried the various recommended fix given on this site and by DirecTV but problem persisted. DirecTV sent me a replacement receiver (another HR22-100). It worked fine for two days then same problems returned. Again, tried the various recommended fix found on this site and from DirecTV. Nothing worked. DirecTV sent out a service tech. He swapped out the LNB and switch and replaced my replacement HR22-100 with a HR24-500. This seems to have corrected my situation. Good luck correcting yours.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
MysteryMan said:
To answer your question, yes. After the 0x4a6 update (not saying it was the cause, just a starting point) my HR22-100 became very sluggish when menu surfing and channel changing. Then came the freeze ups (not responding to remote commands or button presses on receiver). Tried the various recommended fix given on this site and by DirecTV but problem persisted. DirecTV sent me a replacement receiver (another HR22-100). It worked fine for two days then same problems returned. Again, tried the various recommended fix found on this site and from DirecTV. Nothing worked. DirecTV sent out a service tech. He swapped out the LNB and switch and replaced my replacement HR22-100 with a HR24-500. This seems to have corrected my situation. Good luck correcting yours.
Think they're finally getting to the point where their replacement stock contains many more non-functional HRs than functional ones? Gotta happen sometime.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
8,489 Posts
After the 0x4A8 Update my HR23-700 died and I just got it replaced with an HR24-500 for Free!!!

Hated to lose all of those recordings though and I can't wait for Directv to give us a method for Archiving Recordings so when we lose a DVR we can replace it and then download those Archived Recordings and we are back in business. :D

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
rich584 said:
Think they're finally getting to the point where their replacement stock contains many more non-functional HRs than functional ones? Gotta happen sometime.

Rich
Possibly. Reason for both HR22-100's failing was never given to me by DirecTV. I can't complain. Both the dish and receiver were upgraded and the problem has been solved.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Possibly. Reason for both HR22-100's failing was never given to me by DirecTV. I can't complain. Both the dish and receiver were upgraded and the problem has been solved.
THE SIMPLE TEST =

Move the failed unit to another location.............if it works OK there it is something in the original line or dish.

Move a known-to-be-good receiver to the original location.............if it works OK the problem is the original receiver.

There is more to it than what I mentioned but this will isolate many issues.

Joe

·
Mentor
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a follow up to post #1, I will add that the H21 that died 2 weeks ago was replaced by another H21. I'm assuming there's a newer model out there but it goes in the guest bedroom which is hardly ever used so it's fine with me. As for the HR23-700 that died last night, I'd be pretty happy if they sent me a HR24 as a replacement. I just hope they don't go the other way and send me something lower than what I had.

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
joe diamond said:
THE SIMPLE TEST =

Move the failed unit to another location.............if it works OK there it is something in the original line or dish.

Move a known-to-be-good receiver to the original location.............if it works OK the problem is the original receiver.

There is more to it than what I mentioned but this will isolate many issues.

Joe
That's good advice if one has multiple receivers. Currently I have one HDTV located in my Home Theater Room which my wife calls my "man cave" so your simple test could not be used. Family Entertainment Room is being constructed as I type. Upon completion I will be adding another HDTV and will upgrade to MRV with another HD DVR.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
MysteryMan said:
That's good advice if one has multiple receivers. Currently I have one HDTV located in my Home Theater Room which my wife calls my "man cave" so your simple test could not be used. Family Entertainment Room is being constructed as I type. Upon completion I will be adding another HDTV and will upgrade to MRV with another HD DVR.
With two HRs and an external HDD, you can do most troubleshooting very quickly.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
rich584 said:
I have, but it was years ago. I did have one 23 a couple years ago and it lasted a week. Lesson learned. You might want to put a UPS device on those receivers, that will give you some peace of mind.

Rich
I would no more run my equipment without a UPS than I would stop on one of the side streets leading to the Lincoln tunnel in the middle of the night and wave over one of the conveniently placed young (well sorta young) ladies strolling around that area.

I used to have to drive through that area years ago and you really didn't want to stop the truck there.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
TBoneit said:
I would no more run my equipment without a UPS than I would stop on one of the side streets leading to the Lincoln tunnel in the middle of the night and wave over one of the conveniently placed young (well sorta young) ladies strolling around that area.

I used to have to drive through that area years ago and you really didn't want to stop the truck there.
I used to ride my bike thru that area on my way to the tunnel. Pretty creepy when they run after you. Hard enough to ride on those cobblestones without some really creepy people chasing you. At three in the morning. The City late at night on a Friday or Saturday is actually a pleasant place to ride a motorcycle. Until you hit 8th Ave. Don't know if it's still like that, I haven't been allowed to ride since I got married the last time. I kinda miss doing that.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
rich584 said:
I used to ride my bike thru that area on my way to the tunnel. Pretty creepy when they run after you. Hard enough to ride on those cobblestones without some really creepy people chasing you. At three in the morning. The City late at night on a Friday or Saturday is actually a pleasant place to ride a motorcycle. Until you hit 8th Ave. Don't know if it's still like that, I haven't been allowed to ride since I got married the last time. I kinda miss doing that.

Rich
I have recently been to the NJ side of the Holland Tunnel...down river...in Jersey City. It is new and different along the river. Other drivers report NYC is now OK to travel without sidearms. Still no place to park or let the guard dog pee!

Joe

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
MysteryMan said:
The fall back...because you are correct....is to get any receiver from a yard sale or dumpster. Test it and it will give you enough signal recognition (ch100) to test the line. Or you could do what the phone company advises...borrow an instrument from a neighbor.

A second box for the kitchen couldn't hurt.

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.