DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Godfather
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is the wrong place to post, I am sorry, I figured I'd go here cuz many of us(especially in the harrisburg pa area,lol) don't have locals in HD. I just wanted to say, I thought this was sketchy at first, but i tried it, and it worked. Even though I had a 80 dollar one that got my one channel(wlyh 15), this one gets me 15, 8, 27, and 21 channels locally in HD. I really couldn't belive it, and still can't, mainly cuz I live in a rea where its hard to get anything, just an FYI.;)

· Super Moderator
10,091 Posts
This guy builds a good antenna but makes the mistake of stated the FCC has mandated stations go HDTV.

A common mistake.... There is no HDTV mandate.... The mandate is for ATSC Digital Broadcast (DTV), which is not the same thing as High Definition (HDTV). They are two separate technologies.

· Super Moderator
10,091 Posts
CorpITGuy said:
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to give it a try, just for giggles.
I am certain it will work. It's basically a poorman's Bowtie antenna.

Winegard and Channel Master both make high quality bowtie antennas, and they work well... But the appearance stops most people from raising them IMHO.

· Godfather
432 Posts
Jason Nipp said:
This guy builds a good antenna but makes the mistake of stated the FCC has mandated stations go HDTV.

A common mistake.... There is no HDTV mandate.... The mandate is for ATSC Digital Broadcast (DTV), which is not the same thing as High Definition (HDTV). They are two separate technologies.
I caught that. Was slightly annoyed; but I have to sometimes back up and think, "CorpITGuy, you're an idiot when talking about other stuff". :D

· Godfather
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jason Nipp said:

My main thing is, Why does this work? whats the big difference between a UHF/VHF antenna and a HDTV one?

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
No difference at all. Both SD and HD antennae receive the same waveforms and frequencies. The only difference is what's embedded in the signal. The bowtie that he made is a UHF antenna that would have worked just fine with analog or digital, SD or HD.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
projectorguru said:
If this is the wrong place to post, I am sorry, I figured I'd go here cuz many of us(especially in the harrisburg pa area,lol) don't have locals in HD. I just wanted to say, I thought this was sketchy at first, but i tried it, and it worked. Even though I had a 80 dollar one that got my one channel(wlyh 15), this one gets me 15, 8, 27, and 21 channels locally in HD. I really couldn't belive it, and still can't, mainly cuz I live in a rea where its hard to get anything, just an FYI.;)

This is a basic homemade version of the quad UHF bowtie array antenna and should work in many instances. There is no screen behind the array, however, which will increase the antenna's overall gain and directivity, especially for people on the fringe area of a TV's radiation pattern. The design of a proper screen reflector (with proper distance behind the array, size, curvature, etc.) could made a world of difference.

Also, get that antenna up as high as possible and aim it directly at the station.. for example, not angled up at the ceiling since these are array antennas which typically work best perpendicular to the transmitting site in phase.

· Hall Of Fame
7,184 Posts
Jason Nipp said:

One other mistake was stating the FCC has mandated the switchover date as the end of 2008.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,626 Posts
STEVEN-H said:
Also that is a 75 ohm to 300 ohm matching transformer he used.
Would you prefer some cheap capacitor balun solution? A matching transformer is precisely what is needed and an excellent way to connect a 300 ohm antenna to a 75 ohm cable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.