DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Legend
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone still using really, really old DirecTV receivers?
if so, how old is it?

I was cleaning up my basement and found a very old
Sony DirecTV receiver. It's roughly the size of the old
VHS VCR next to it! Probably left it there since 1998...
(or maybe that's not so old?)

Thanks! :)

·
Legend
125 Posts
I am not using them but I have to older Hughes receivers GOABOE I think was the model numbers the director packs. They are around 6 years old. If it wasnt for the fact that DTV gave me all new ones for free when I signed up I would have used those, I liked those receivers. Had a cool feature when you were in the guide if you pressed the left arrow to highlight the actual channel name when you were looking the picture in the upper corner would change to that channel so you could watch it whichout actually changing channels. If you hit exit you were right back to the original channel.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
kathymoore said:
anyone still using really, really old DirecTV receivers?
if so, how old is it?

I was cleaning up my basement and found a very old
Sony DirecTV receiver. It's roughly the size of the old
VHS VCR next to it! Probably left it there since 1998...
(or maybe that's not so old?)

Thanks! :)
Sound like the Sony B1 or something like that. That was my first reciever, man was it nice compared to all those crappy RCA's that were out with there 16bit slow menus.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Blitz68 said:
Sound like the Sony B1 or something like that. That was my first reciever, man was it nice compared to all those crappy RCA's that were out with there 16bit slow menus.
No doubt! D* did me a "favor" a few years back by "upgrading" my Sony B1's with those RCA's for free. What a POS. Unfortunately I was excited by the "new" technology and I dumped my Sony's before I realized what junk the RCA's were.

In fact, I just finally got rid of the last RCA when I got the latest R15 and cascaded a D11 to the RCA's spot.

·
AllStar
79 Posts
Still using an old Sony SAT-A2 circa 1996, in one of the bedrooms, still works like a charm. A couple of Hughes GAEBOA boxes and one Samsung SIR-S75.

Andy

·
Legend
219 Posts
kathymoore said:
wait... the Ultimate TV thing still works!!!??? :)
Yes! I only discontinued the MSN Sub eariler this year. Still use as a receiver in my garage. Had to find a place for it:D

716 Posts
This month marks 10 years of reliable service for my ancient Hughes B1 receiver. Originally the main receiver in my living room, I moved it to the bedroom when I got my first DirecTiVo in 2001.

And they say nothing is built to last anymore :)

·
Godfather
260 Posts
andy A said:
Still using an old Sony SAT-A2 circa 1996, in one of the bedrooms, still works like a charm.
I still have one of those in my computer room, it is a little strange having to input the local channels in the 900 range since it will not allow any input below 100.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts

·
Legend
239 Posts
My parents are still using the first generation RCA receiver from 1994! The guide is extremely slow with very limited functionality, but they don't know any better.

·
Legend
386 Posts
i still have an old rca receiver i got back in 95. even worse, it was $700 for the one receiver and an 18inch dish .... and it was up to me to do the installation. it still works too. its one of 5 receivers on my account.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
I was still using my original Sony dual-LNB dish which had been moved 4 times until the AT-9 was installed in October. Still have the dis as well.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
I have two of the black RCA receivers (with serial inputs) in my office closet (one with DD5.1), and when I tried to give one away as part of the sale of my standalone Philips Tivo on ebay, the buyer said, "No Thanks." Not sure what to do with them. They work, but I guess I should just trash them. Seems a shame. Anyone want one, or both?

On the flip side, I bought an R10 on ebay (spouse wanted a backup just in case ours fails), and the seller offered a newer standalone DTV receiver. My response: No thanks.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
I am still using my ultimate TV with the five sat dish along with the HR20 simply it because it is more reliable than the new dvr by far. The UI is ten times better as well.
TG
Milwaukee

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.