DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without the TiVo patented auto-correction/jump-back, I think they need to make the replay go back more so that when you are FF'ing through a commercial, you can just use the replay button to go back to the beginning, but since it's so short it takes quite a few replay presses to get back to the beginning of the show. Or is it just me? Or maybe my reflexes are bad.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
318 Posts
I like it short the way it is. 15 seconds would make it too easy to go back too far, and then you'd have to watch more of those idiotic commercials. Or around this time of year, more of those stupid negative campaign adds, at least here in California. Those things drive me nuts.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howie said:
I like it short the way it is. 15 seconds would make it too easy to go back too far, and then you'd have to watch more of those idiotic commercials. Or around this time of year, more of those stupid negative campaign adds, at least here in California. Those things drive me nuts.
Do you use FF though? I like to FF at 3x and I got good at knowing when to press play with TiVo and maybe I'll get better with the HR20, but if I'm a minute into the show, that's 10 presses of the replay button.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greenbay4 said:
I don't think mine is ever exactly 6 seconds. Sometimes it seems like 2 or3, sometimes it goes back 9 or 10 seconds. :confused:
How can you tell? I've never noticed that, but I don't think I was really paying attention to that.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
43 Posts
mtnagel said:
How can you tell? I've never noticed that, but I don't think I was really paying attention to that.
I just noticed that sometimes when I want to replay something, and I know darn well I hit the button within 6 seconds, it doesn't always goes back near enough. I'm work now (break time of course), but I may experiment with a stopwatch when I get home.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,596 Posts
Greenbay4 said:
I don't think mine is ever exactly 6 seconds. Sometimes it seems like 2 or3, sometimes it goes back 9 or 10 seconds. :confused:
I agree. It's not a consistent amount. Someone did some testing using the HDNet Test Pattern broadcast which includes a timer on the screen and discovered that the Replay varies considerably, like 2 to 10 seconds. Personally I think it should be longer than 6 seconds, more like 10 or 15.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
50 Posts
For what it's worth, UltimateTV was 7 seconds. I always felt it was just about perfect. That would theorectically make the HR20's 6 seconds also just about perfect.

Unfortunately, at this time the implementation in the HR20 leaves a lot to be desired. On my old UltimateTV box, the Replay feature is instanteous, doesn't glitch, and doesn't ever hang. It simply jumps back 7 seconds and plays. You can hit the button as many times as you want, and the box just caches the hits together and jumps back that far. With the HR20 right now, using Replay and Advance mean you might have to reboot.

When the HR20 gets stable, particularly with multiple button hits, I think you'll find much more universal contentment with the 6 second back.

As for the 30 sec advance slip - that's still my biggest problem with the box. I want to skip commericals. Again, on UltimateTV, I can skip through 4 minutes of commercials in about 4 seconds with 8 button presses. On a fully stable HR20 (in the future, of course), that will take up 40 seconds.

That's 36 seconds of garbage I'm sitting through now. Yick.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
matto said:
if you want more than six seconds, hit it twice. you can't hit it half a time, though.
Except that I'm having to hit it like 10 times to get back to the beginning of a show after FF'ing. That sucks. But I see your point.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
221 Posts
The way it is now is only works for someone who is watching with the remote already in their hand--and only sometimes at that. I doubt most people do that.

I always have to hit it twice to watch something over, and you are right the second replay is about 2-3 times longer than the first--seems like the first is only 2-3 seconds back.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
44 Posts
mgcsooner said:
The way it is now is only works for someone who is watching with the remote already in their hand--and only sometimes at that. I doubt most people do that.

I always have to hit it twice to watch something over, and you are right the second replay is about 2-3 times longer than the first--seems like the first is only 2-3 seconds back.
I use the 6 seconds if I overrun an FF so, yes, the remote would be in my hand. I wouldn't want it any longer than the current 6 seconds
 

· Legend
Joined
·
181 Posts
No way is this a Tivo patent. UTV had it and the 30 second jump without having to perform the magic key presses to make it work. D* need you to see the commercials.
6 seconds would certainly be enough, if it worked instantaneously.

Edited to say that UTV didn't have auto-correct so may be that is a Tivo patent. I thought you meant the jump-back key.

I didn't like the Tivo auto-correct because it always went back too far when I was FFWD through the commercials, hit play when the program restarts then I would be back in the last ad.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top