DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the Thecus N2050 eSATA enclosure for a little more than a month along with two WD 500GB hard drives. Everything has been working great, but in the last week or so, the noise from the unit seems to have gone up.

It was very quiet before - no louder than the HR20 itself - but in the last couple of days when I enter the living room without the TV on, you can hear the fan in the enclosure clearly. I checked it yesterday for airflow and felt air being sucked in the front and expelled from the rear and the unit is slighty warm to the touch, but not more so that when I first hooked it up. I can also hear hard disk activity, but I've heard that all along as well.

Anyone else experienced this or have a theory why the drives/enclosure would be making more noise all of a sudden? :confused: Thanks...

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Fans get noisier with wear.. rapidly if the fan isn't of the greatest quality. Maybe you could replace the fan with a better quality one...?

·
AllStar
91 Posts
I have one... fan is also getting a little louder over time, looks very easy to replace with a new one. I've got two 500Gb Seagate Barracuda drives in mine and some thin foam underneath to keep vibrations down.

·
Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NVTanner said:
I have one... fan is also getting a little louder over time, looks very easy to replace with a new one. I've got two 500Gb Seagate Barracuda drives in mine and some thin foam underneath to keep vibrations down.
Foam is a good idea since I have some vibration too. Where did you get the foam and did you notice what sized fan it is? 80mm or even smaller? Thanks...

·
AllStar
91 Posts
It's easy to pull the fan, four screws hold it on the back, they also put a connector touching the fan enclosure that may cause it to make noise over time.
The foam sheet is what we use to cover the plants in the winter. It is sometimes used as wrapping of electronics in shipping boxes.
Very thin and flexible, white and easy to cut into shapes.
I cut mine so I cannot see it but it supports the eSata enclosure off of the top of my entertainment center.

·
Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NVTanner said:
It's easy to pull the fan, four screws hold it on the back, they also put a connector touching the fan enclosure that may cause it to make noise over time.
The foam sheet is what we use to cover the plants in the winter. It is sometimes used as wrapping of electronics in shipping boxes.
Very thin and flexible, white and easy to cut into shapes.
I cut mine so I cannot see it but it supports the eSata enclosure off of the top of my entertainment center.
Cool. I know exactly what you are talking about for the foam. I'll check tonight and see how big the fan is. I've got a couple of extra Papst (sp?) fans that are super quiet if it's an 80mm one. I'll have to try it out. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.