Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you NASCAR fans out there:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -The sport that already offers unprecedented fan access is going one step further in 2007, allowing DirecTV viewers to watch an entire NASCAR race from behind the wheel.

NASCAR HotPass will debut on DirecTV at the Daytona 500 in February...

Click here for the full article: DirecTV to Take NASCAR Fans Inside the Car

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
Great idea, but not worth $99 with so few drivers featured each week and no guarantee that a driver I like will be one of those 5.

·
AllStar
51 Posts
deuce01 said:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -The sport that already offers unprecedented fan access is going one step further in 2007, allowing DirecTV viewers to watch an entire NASCAR race from behind the wheel.

Not sure who would be interested in this. In car camera's are pretty boring. Prefer to see fewer commercials. Four and half minutes of commercials vs. three minutes of coverage between commercials sucks.

·
Legend
139 Posts
I wonder if this is the only option for folks without local channels who can't get NASCAR unless it's on TNT? Or if it is even an option???

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
juan ellitinez said:
Doesn't cable (indemand) already do this?
Yes and maybe no, NASCAR InCar launched in 2002, my TW division never carried it, but I don't see the package listed on InDemand's website anymore, so I'm not sure if they still offer it. Same deal as DirecTV, $99 a year, 5 in car cameras.

dervari said:
I like the Sirius idea better. Too bad it's not on XM. :(
Are you talking about the crew to driver communications? XM had that for a while on channel 146 and it was terrible.

·
Godfather
313 Posts
kylebj said:
This is a cool idea. I would pay the $99 if the broadcast was in HD as well.
In car cameras arent in HD (unless they go ahead and change that for this) so I doubt it.

Its a good idea, but they would need to expand to ensure that most people would get to see their favorite driver which means at least 20 seperate channels which would never happen.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
This package is not about simply "in-car" cameras. More like 25 to 30 cameras dedicated to those 5 drivers.

Cable had "In Car" but that is gone now that DIRECTV signed this exclusive package with NASCAR. "In Car" only had one in car camera per driver. This has 5 or 6 cameras per driver, multiple cells per screen, in car audio, dedicated announcers, the entire enchilada.

$79 for the early bird price, that's about $2 per race (37 races will be broadcast).

More information here:

http://www.directv.com/hotpass

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
Marvin said:
In car cameras arent in HD (unless they go ahead and change that for this) so I doubt it.

Its a good idea, but they would need to expand to ensure that most people would get to see their favorite driver which means at least 20 seperate channels which would never happen.
I'm sure they will go with the top drivers most of the time. 37 races in all and if they can consistently put Dale jr., Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson they will get many fans right there. If Dale jr is on 20 races, that's still 20 opportunities for his fans to watch him the entire race that they cannot get elsewhere.

The lineups will be interesting.

·
Legend
230 Posts
deuce01 said:

As a true blue (or perhaps red) NASCAR and Dale Jr fan, I think this is exciting and it might make me switch from Dish to Direct. But apparently you aren't guaranteed which drivers will be available on the extra channels.

If they could guarantee Dale Jr every week, this 8-year Dish customer will switch to Direct.

·
Legend
230 Posts
Proc said:
How can anyone listen to a NASCAR race? Baseball, football, yes, but car racing on the radio?
MRN radio broadcasts NASCAR races and does an awesome job. Listen to their broadcasts on my scanner at races, and once in a while when I'm unable to watch a race on TV, I tune them in on the car radio.

They really do a terrific job.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
Proc said:
How can anyone listen to a NASCAR race? Baseball, football, yes, but car racing on the radio?
It was on XM this year on channel 144. Listening to racing is pretty cool. Reminded me of the old days as a kid my dad and I would listen to the Indy 500 on Memorial Day because the televised broadcast didn't occur until that night.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
Satelliteracer said:
I'm sure they will go with the top drivers most of the time. 37 races in all and if they can consistently put Dale jr., Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson they will get many fans right there. If Dale jr is only on 20 races, that's still 20 opportunities for his fans to watch him the entire race that they cannot get elsewhere.

The lineups will be interesting.
A few new articles on this (not AP articles) from USA Today and the Charlotte Observer.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2006-12-05-hiestand_x.htm

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/16173659.htm

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
deuce01 said:

Some screenshots on Fox now http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/pgStory?contentId=6245156&pageNumber=1

·
Icon
3,067 Posts
good news,

this is just another reason why D* is the undisputed sports leader in TV.
and soon we will once again be the HD leader in TV. this is good stuff. :) :)

·
Godfather
501 Posts
Could someone please get Nascar to end their season on labor day, no one watches the races once the nfl starts...

pga already wised up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.