DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving from an apartment that has a balcony to a first floor apartment that only has an enclosed "sun room" (within the same complex). I won't have any exterior place to mount the dish so my options to keep dtv are looking limited.

I have read several posts with differing results from inside dish installs.

Do apartment communities generally gripe about externally installing a dish in the grassy area outside my window and running flat cables inside?

I could just ask but they could say no. There isn't really much vegetation to hide the dish in either.

Any ideas?? I really don't want to lose TIVO and have to get cable.

Kevin

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Sounds like your options are very limited. A dish *might* work behind a glass window in your sunroom, but it's doubtful. Any coatings on the glass will kill your satellite signals.

Your apartment association can certainly restrict installing a dish on the grassy area outside your window, unless it's part of your apartment property. Do other folks in your complex have dishes? Some apartment managers are friendlier than others, so you might want to ask around and hopefully get permission to install a dish in a suitable location.

Of course, there are Tivos that work fine with Cable TV. The new HiDef Series 3 Tivos are very nice (and expensive).

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my next plan is to move my dish indoors at my current apartment and try to get a signal through the window.

Has anyone tried the green bush dish camouflage? I have my dish mounted in a flower pot and just wondering if it is terribly noticeable it would be with the camouflage.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just as I suspected, my windows totally kill my Directv satellite signal strength.
I moved my dish indoors and as long as the window was open, the signal was OK but as soon as I started to close the window, the signal strength quickly went to zero.

I really would hate to have to switch to cable so I guess I will have to try to stash my dish in the shrubs and hope the apt people don't see it.

Has anyone had any experience with the green shrub satellite dish camouflage?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Icon
975 Posts
Many apartment complexes in our area seem to be encouraging dishes on poles in the shrubbery area, rather than having people do whatever "makeshift" mounting they were doing on balconies and walls. Seems OK.....the hole in the ground is easier to fill, and doesn't hurt the dirt.

Now, if they'd just have their maintenance guys drill a really nice hole in the wall for each apartment, they could eliminate all their worries about damage.

BTW: Satellite signals often will work through glass, but usually not if the signal is coming in at much of an angle. So, try different spots, to see if you can get a straight-thru viewing angle...maybe on an angled or curved area of the window.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Window glass contains lead which absorbs enough EMR to block the relatively weak sat signal.
Some people have had good results by replacing the glass window panes with Plexiglas. Going
to that extent depends on how desperate you are to avoid cable and keep your satellite service.

There are various covers that will hide or disguise the dish on the ground but will not block the
signal. I recall seeing one that looks like a big rock. Another was a green, box-like device with
a built-in "dish" made to blend in with surrounding foliage.

I have cable now, but before, prior to moving into an apartment I did a site survey and talked with
the apt. manager to ensure that there would not be problem. I still have three dishes mounted on
a sturdy pole on my (exclusive use) patio in the event I ever want to go back to tv from outer space. :p

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses!

My problem with asking is that they will probably say no. My hunch is that they will say the area in front of my window is a "community area". They will then be looking for the dish.

There are some 3-4 foot tall evergreen shrubs in front of the windows that i think will successfully hide the dish. They also obscure the bottom of the windows so I should be able to run flat cables inside conspicuously. I'm thinking either painting my dish or buying a camo cover to put over it to further disguise its location.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.