DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting an apple tv and I was wondering if I can use the airplay feature to get the sunday ticket game im watching on my ipad2 to pull up on my big screen thru apple tv.

Is this possible?

Also was wondering if the same thing would work for hbogo off of the ipad to the tv thru apple tv.

Thanks guys for any info!

· Hall Of Fame
3,263 Posts
I think there might be a way but I'll have to check it when I get home. I know when you use the airplay button in the app (such as the DIRECTV app for iPad) you only get audio, but if you use the airplay button in the multitasking menu (double click the home button and scroll left), that may work.

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
I've the ATV, gen 3, but don't have Sunday ticket.

Why would you care to go through all the rigamarole when you can (presumably) just watch it directly on the TV from the DVR?

· Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to be traveling quite a bit and while its nice to watch on the ipad, if I can get it on a bigger screen I would prefer that.

I would think that the airplay feature on the apple tv box would show anything playing on the ipad, but it seems like it doesnt. :(

· Cool Member
32 Posts
Yes you can. As long as you have the AppleTV second generation(small black box). Your iPad2 will mirror onto your TV. Anything you can get on the iPad2, you can watch on your TV. I do it all the time.

· Hall Of Fame
3,263 Posts
mikellie said:
Yes you can. As long as you have the AppleTV second generation(small black box). Your iPad2 will mirror onto your TV. Anything you can get on the iPad2, you can watch on your TV. I do it all the time.
Yup, I just got done checking the same thing with my iPad3 and 2nd Gen ATV. Watched Live TV from the DIRECTV iPad app. I couldn't test the Sunday Ticket app as we have to wait till the season starts...

· Icon
1,574 Posts
mikellie said:
Unfortunately that is not always true. As an example, HBOGO will not allow the video. I tried it. Neither Airplay nor mirroring will allow the video. The HBOGO app is smart enough to prevent it. The message that is displayed when you try it also leads me to suspect, although I have not tried it, that you would not be able to use the iPad HDMI cable to do it either.

15,115 Posts
mikellie said:
I'm feeling a bit thick here, but why wouldn't you just watch via a DVR? What content can you get on the iPad that you can't get on DIRECTV®?

· Icon
1,574 Posts
"Laxguy" said:
I'm feeling a bit thick here, but why wouldn't you just watch via a DVR? What content can you get on the iPad that you can't get on DIRECTV®?
One example would be HBOGO. I can access it using my Xbox in my Home Theater but I don't have an Xbox in my master bedroom. It would be nice to be able to view HBOGO content on my MBR tv using my iPad and ATV there.

· Icon
1,574 Posts
"Justin85" said:
mjwagner, are you saying you have tried hdmi out with HBOGo, and it will not work?
I have tried HBOGO using ATV and it does not allow the video, only the audio. The message displayed leads me to believe that it would not work with hdmi out but I have not tried it.

15,115 Posts
mjwagner said:
One example would be HBOGO. I can access it using my Xbox in my Home Theater but I don't have an Xbox in my master bedroom. It would be nice to be able to view HBOGO content on my MBR tv using my iPad and ATV there.
No DVR there? Can you not get via On Demand the same content as HBOGO?
(This is not a rhetorical question!)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.