DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple TV Plus working with MLB
By Ian Sherr

Apple's adding sports to its $5-a-month Apple TV Plus service, starting with Friday Night Baseball. Apple says there will be games "you can only see on Apple TV Plus." Curious what that will look like.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,541 Posts
I really don’t like paying twice for the same thing. I, gladly, pay for my local RSN so I can watch my team. Combined with a handful of national sports channels I would have in any case (ESPN, Fox, FS1, TBS) I get my game every day.

Now I have to pay once more?

Going to the well one time too many has been the downfall of a lot of companies.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have already had a few games that were exclusive to Facebook, Youtube and Twitter so this doesn't really surprise me. Probably more on the way.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah they were all free as long as you had an account with each service. But they were exclusive and the only place you could watch those games. I would assume the Apple games will be games that are expected to be good teams. Probably won't see any Rockies vs Pirates on Friday night baseball.

·
Super Moderator
54,018 Posts
I really don’t like paying twice for the same thing. I, gladly, pay for my local RSN so I can watch my team. Combined with a handful of national sports channels I would have in any case (ESPN, Fox, FS1, TBS) I get my game every day.

Now I have to pay once more?

Going to the well one time too many has been the downfall of a lot of companies.
I agree. This echos why I do not like the various streaming companies. They have taken what was once a unified delivery system and fragmented it to create exclusive delivery paths. It isn't a bad deal for AppleTV+ subscribers who would be paying for the service anyways (other than the eventual price increase to pay for the content), but it is a bad deal for people who have no interest in the rest of AppleTV+ content. They lose games - potentially games that they have paid for through their local RSN or MLB EI. Just a few dollars more for each service until we're all paying twice as much for subscription TV as we did only a few years ago to get the same content - or settling for less content without getting a discount off of our existing subscriptions for what we have lost. The only way to pay the same as we did before is to cut content.

I am sure that AppleTV+ has some great programming. So does Netflix. So does Apple. So does Peacock. So does Paramount+. So does Amazon. The well is running dry to pay for it all.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,982 Posts
Apple's adding sports to its $5-a-month Apple TV Plus service, starting with Friday Night Baseball
It may not be reasonable to label Apple TV+ as a $5/month service for much longer.

Hopefully the contract is based on games actually being played.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,541 Posts
I was listening to the Andy Marchand podcast, and he had an interesting take. His take is that this is not about us.

In his view, MLB is aiming not a “nickel and dimeing” hard core baseball fans, but putting the product out there for “cord nevers” who are all those demographic things that baseball doesn’t have. The hard core baseball fans who lose out on three or four of their team’s games are just collateral damage.

That may be, but to follow what I consider to be the major sports, by next year I will need:

• Linear TV with the OTA networks; the full time sports channels like ESPN and FS1; the general rerun channels that carry some sports (USA, TNT, TBS, and the once a year TruTV); and the sports specific channels (MLB Network, NHL Network etc.)
  • Amazon Prime
  • ESPN+
  • Apple TV +
  • Peacock Premium
  • Paramount Plus

I pretty much only watch not-sports to fill time time when there are no sports on. Paying for a lot of estrogen soaked melodrama streamers just for a handful of sports on each service.

·
Super Moderator
54,018 Posts
The games will be free to everyone for a while.
Free to subscribers of those services or free via other means (except AppleTV+ Friday night double header)?

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
Free to subscribers of those services or free via other means (except AppleTV+ Friday night double header)?
No subscription will be needed to apple tv plus for a limited time…

Specifically on the page…

“boxes. “Friday Night Baseball” will be available on Apple TV+ — and, for a limited time, without the need for a subscription. “

·
Hall Of Fame
5,491 Posts
I agree. This echos why I do not like the various streaming companies. They have taken what was once a unified delivery system and fragmented it to create exclusive delivery paths. It isn't a bad deal for AppleTV+ subscribers who would be paying for the service anyways (other than the eventual price increase to pay for the content), but it is a bad deal for people who have no interest in the rest of AppleTV+ content. They lose games - potentially games that they have paid for through their local RSN or MLB EI. Just a few dollars more for each service until we're all paying twice as much for subscription TV as we did only a few years ago to get the same content - or settling for less content without getting a discount off of our existing subscriptions for what we have lost. The only way to pay the same as we did before is to cut content.

I am sure that AppleTV+ has some great programming. So does Netflix. So does Apple. So does Peacock. So does Paramount+. So does Amazon. The well is running dry to pay for it all.
and just wait the for the mouse to work there way in and then you are paying for diseny and ESPN X4 times to get what you used to get with just one cable sub.

The local teams really need to step up and project there rights and maybe even to go court to get the right to steam there own games on there own.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,491 Posts
  • Linear TV with the OTA networks; the full time sports channels like ESPN and FS1; the general rerun channels that carry some sports (USA, TNT, TBS, and the once a year TruTV); and the sports specific channels (MLB Network, NHL Network etc.)
  • Amazon Prime
  • ESPN+
  • Apple TV +
  • Peacock Premium
  • Paramount Plus
well the value of an hacked directv box will go up (jokeing) when all of that ends of on the commercial only channels.
But commercial is one point streaming does not really cover.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts