DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Mentor
589 Posts
I love the enthusiasm and dedication you guys have for baseball. I'm lucky to be able to watch half of my team's games (Cardinals) on television during the season, and we live in-market. My better half enjoys baseball, but she'd much rather have the game on the radio while we're enjoying dinner or sitting outside on the back porch.

Regarding "devaluation of MLB.tv", because I'm not a regular subscriber to MLB.tv: You're losing the Friday/Sunday games to Apple/Peacock. But no one has scooped up the Monday/Wednesday national package that was discontinued by ESPN. Presumably that goes back into MLB.tv access. It's probably a wash, or close to, in terms of total number of games available?

What I say next obviously doesn't account for all people, but for a lot, as we start going into the parsing of content and services and costs for that:
  • A good chunk of Apple TV+ subscribers are currently getting the service for free. If you buy any new iPhone/Mac device, you're usually getting a free year of Apple TV+ service. Many just don't activate it. The nice thing is, when MLB season is over, just discontinue the subscription.
  • (Not entirely related, but somewhat applicable): There are 150-million Amazon Prime subscribers. That includes Prime Video. A lot of people are already plugged in for Thursday Night Football and don't even know it.
I'm entirely on board that divvying these games up among services is inconvenient for diehard fans. But this league is looking for new money where it can find it, and that, to the chagrin of those used to just flipping on the RSN or ESPN/FOX, is in the streamers.

· Mentor
589 Posts
Peacock picked up those Monday/Wednesday games but the last I heard they reportedly will not be exclusive on Peacock and they won't be blacked out.

You only get 3 months of free Apple TV+ these days when you buy a new device from Apple.
Thanks for the clarification. When I last purchased a new iPhone two years ago, it came with a full year of Apple TV+. The Peacock deal is for games exclusive to the streaming service, per Awful Announcing.

Those Monday and Wednesday games on ESPN were not exclusive. They were also on the RSNs and could be viewed on MLB.TV and EI. The only ESPN exclusives were the Sunday night games. There is no question that those two Friday games on Apple+ and two Sunday games on Peacock will reduce the number of games available on MLB.TV and EI.
Thanks. I wasn't aware how those ESPN games were/were not limited. The Peacock deal is for a total of 18 games, so that's most likely one game a Sunday.

If you're wanting to talk hardcore numbers, sure. The value of MLB.tv/Extra Innings per game is less than what it is from last season. But there are 2,400 total MLB games in a regular season. Substract the streaming exclusives (approx. 50) and linear national broadcasts (300?), and you're still looking at more baseball than even a fly's eyes can keep track of on MLB.tv/EI.

· Mentor
589 Posts
MLB.tv is now available for the 2022 season. Price has increased $10 to $139.99, per The Streamable, but an early bird special locks in the price in at $129.99 (the 2021 season price.) Team specific plans run $119.99 ($109.99 early bird pricing).

Other notes about the 2022 MLB.tv package:
  • All spring training games available without blackout restrictions.
  • Agreements in place with 13 teams to air pre-game and post-game shows within MLB.tv, with hopes to add more through the season.
  • MLB Big Inning show goes to 7 days a week, instead of just weeknights.

· Mentor
589 Posts
I connected with DirecTV yesterday about this and the only option they gave me was the $139.99 price. I asked about discounts or promotions and was told there were none. And trying right now at the DirecTV website there is not an option to get it for 129.99. So how does one get the discount?
I think this is just for the MLB.tv package directly from the league, not the MLB Extra Innings package available to cable/satellite distributors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts