DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,158 Posts
OK, MLB is going to have some games on Peacock Plus, generally starting at 11:30 AM or Noon. These will be "exclusive" meaning non on the RSN and not on MLBEI/MLB.TV.

This means that, if you just want to watch all 162 of your local team's games, which is what I want to do, you need:

• Access to OTA Fox.
  • Linear TV channels FS1, ESPN, and TBS
  • Apple TV +
  • Peacock Plus
  • YouTube (which if free)
  • Your local RSN
(In the handful of remaining markets with game on local OTA TV, add that channel in)

If you want to watch an out-of-market team, add in MLBEI/MLB.TV (some games on ESPN+, but not all).

MLB is selling the same real estate multiple times.
Thanks for the reply. I also like to watch all 162 of my team's games, but it's requiring more and more paid subscriptions to do that. I follow an out-of-market team (Cardinals), but MLB keeps carving out more packages of games that aren't available to watch on MLB.TV or EI. I currently have DirecTV with MLB EI and the (mostly) ad-free Peacock. Looks like I'll have to sign up for Apple TV+ if I don't want to miss any games. I was probably going to keep Peacock anyway, since the NBC shows are moving over there from Hulu this fall, and I also use Peacock to stream most of the NFL Sunday night games in the fall.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Regarding "devaluation of MLB.tv", because I'm not a regular subscriber to MLB.tv: You're losing the Friday/Sunday games to Apple/Peacock. But no one has scooped up the Monday/Wednesday national package that was discontinued by ESPN. Presumably that goes back into MLB.tv access. It's probably a wash, or close to, in terms of total number of games available.
Those Monday and Wednesday games on ESPN were not exclusive. They were also on the RSNs and could be viewed on MLB.TV and EI. The only ESPN exclusives were the Sunday night games. There is no question that those two Friday games on Apple+ and two Sunday games on Peacock will reduce the number of games available on MLB.TV and EI.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. When I last purchased a new iPhone two years ago, it came with a full year of Apple TV+. The Peacock deal is for games exclusive to the streaming service, per Awful Announcing.

Thanks. I wasn't aware how those ESPN games were/were not limited. The Peacock deal is for a total of 18 games, so that's most likely one game a Sunday.

If you're wanting to talk hardcore numbers, sure. The value of MLB.tv/Extra Innings per game is less than what it is from last season. But there are 2,400 total MLB games in a regular season. Substract the streaming exclusives (approx. 50) and linear national broadcasts (300?), and you're still looking at more baseball than even a fly's eyes can keep track of on MLB.tv/EI.
Most baseball fans are interested in how many of their team's 162 games are available to watch, not the total number of MLB games they can watch. From my perspective, it's not a huge deal because I already have Peacock. I don't have Apple TV+, but they do have some other programming I wouldn't mind watching, so I'll probably sign up during the baseball season and binge-watch some of their shows, then cancel after the baseball season is over.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
MLB.tv is now available for the 2022 season. Price has increased $10 to $139.99, per The Streamable, but an early bird special locks in the price in at $129.99 (the 2021 season price.) Team specific plans run $119.99 ($109.99 early bird pricing).

Other notes about the 2022 MLB.tv package:
  • All spring training games available without blackout restrictions.
  • Agreements in place with 13 teams to air pre-game and post-game shows within MLB.tv, with hopes to add more through the season.
  • MLB Big Inning show goes to 7 days a week, instead of just weeknights.
This means we don't have to wait until the end of the preseason for DirecTV to give us access to to MLB.TV as they've done in the past. Last year they didn't give us access until minutes before the start of the first game.

On the other hand, we still won't know if it's working until the regular season games are underway. One year it wasn't working for me on opening day and I spent about an hour on the phone with customer "support" trying to get it straightened out. The CSR didn't have a solution, so he put me on hold for a while, then came back on the line and claimed it wasnt supposed to work until the second week of the season. It wasn't true, and I had to spend more time calling MLB support to get it straightened out. Unfortunately that's what you get with DirecTV - unhelpful and unknowledgeable customer service reps.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Anyone tried the Android app since they updated it? Some DVR controls have been added, which is an improvement. On the other hand, the app opens in portrait mode and only changes to landscape if you launch one of the games. If you are running the app on a tablet, you have to either re-orient the tablet or tilt your head to read what' on the screen. It's like the app developers think everyone uses the app on a phone.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
I don’t think it means that at all. DIRECTV EI doesn’t start until the regular which means the MLB-TV subscription through EI won’t start until the regular season.
It means we can stream the preseason games without waiting for DirecTV to give us access, as I stated. I'm watching games on MLB.TV today, so I know it's true.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
So you bought MLB -TV separate from Extra Innings.
Nope. I do not have an MLB.TV subscription. The games are being offered for free until March 24.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
For the whole preseason or is it just the free 7 day trial that is being advertised? I can watch right now without even logging in.
I read that the preseason was being offered free this year, but the MLB link indicates it's good until March 24, which is only the first week. So unless they extend it, we'll be limited to watching on the RSNs after that date.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts