DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Godfather
868 Posts
and just wait the for the mouse to work there way in and then you are paying for diseny and ESPN X4 times to get what you used to get with just one cable sub.

The local teams really need to step up and project there rights and maybe even to go court to get the right to steam there own games on there own.
The mouse already owns most of it. Disney bought 85% of BAMTech, now Disney Streaming a few years ago. MLB still owns 15%.

MLB pretty much invented sports streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That article requires a subscription. Can you provide some details about that deal? Are these daytime games that would require a Peacock Premium subscription?

or

·
Hall Of Fame
2,539 Posts
That article requires a subscription. Can you provide some details about that deal? Are these daytime games that would require a Peacock Premium subscription?
OK, MLB is going to have some games on Peacock Plus, generally starting at 11:30 AM or Noon. These will be "exclusive" meaning non on the RSN and not on MLBEI/MLB.TV.

This means that, if you just want to watch all 162 of your local team's games, which is what I want to do, you need:

• Access to OTA Fox.
  • Linear TV channels FS1, ESPN, and TBS
  • Apple TV +
  • Peacock Plus
  • YouTube (which if free)
  • Your local RSN
(In the handful of remaining markets with game on local OTA TV, add that channel in)

If you want to watch an out-of-market team, add in MLBEI/MLB.TV (some games on ESPN+, but not all).

MLB is selling the same real estate multiple times.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
OK, MLB is going to have some games on Peacock Plus, generally starting at 11:30 AM or Noon. These will be "exclusive" meaning non on the RSN and not on MLBEI/MLB.TV.

This means that, if you just want to watch all 162 of your local team's games, which is what I want to do, you need:

• Access to OTA Fox.
  • Linear TV channels FS1, ESPN, and TBS
  • Apple TV +
  • Peacock Plus
  • YouTube (which if free)
  • Your local RSN
(In the handful of remaining markets with game on local OTA TV, add that channel in)

If you want to watch an out-of-market team, add in MLBEI/MLB.TV (some games on ESPN+, but not all).

MLB is selling the same real estate multiple times.
Thanks for the reply. I also like to watch all 162 of my team's games, but it's requiring more and more paid subscriptions to do that. I follow an out-of-market team (Cardinals), but MLB keeps carving out more packages of games that aren't available to watch on MLB.TV or EI. I currently have DirecTV with MLB EI and the (mostly) ad-free Peacock. Looks like I'll have to sign up for Apple TV+ if I don't want to miss any games. I was probably going to keep Peacock anyway, since the NBC shows are moving over there from Hulu this fall, and I also use Peacock to stream most of the NFL Sunday night games in the fall.

·
Mentor
565 Posts
I love the enthusiasm and dedication you guys have for baseball. I'm lucky to be able to watch half of my team's games (Cardinals) on television during the season, and we live in-market. My better half enjoys baseball, but she'd much rather have the game on the radio while we're enjoying dinner or sitting outside on the back porch.

Regarding "devaluation of MLB.tv", because I'm not a regular subscriber to MLB.tv: You're losing the Friday/Sunday games to Apple/Peacock. But no one has scooped up the Monday/Wednesday national package that was discontinued by ESPN. Presumably that goes back into MLB.tv access. It's probably a wash, or close to, in terms of total number of games available?

What I say next obviously doesn't account for all people, but for a lot, as we start going into the parsing of content and services and costs for that:
  • A good chunk of Apple TV+ subscribers are currently getting the service for free. If you buy any new iPhone/Mac device, you're usually getting a free year of Apple TV+ service. Many just don't activate it. The nice thing is, when MLB season is over, just discontinue the subscription.
  • (Not entirely related, but somewhat applicable): There are 150-million Amazon Prime subscribers. That includes Prime Video. A lot of people are already plugged in for Thursday Night Football and don't even know it.
I'm entirely on board that divvying these games up among services is inconvenient for diehard fans. But this league is looking for new money where it can find it, and that, to the chagrin of those used to just flipping on the RSN or ESPN/FOX, is in the streamers.

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I love the enthusiasm and dedication you guys have for baseball. I'm lucky to be able to watch half of my team's games (Cardinals) on television during the season, and we live in-market. My better half enjoys baseball, but she'd much rather have the game on the radio while we're enjoying dinner or sitting outside on the back porch.

Regarding "devaluation of MLB.tv", because I'm not a regular subscriber to MLB.tv: You're losing the Friday/Sunday games to Apple/Peacock. But no one has scooped up the Monday/Wednesday national package that was discontinued by ESPN. Presumably that goes back into MLB.tv access. It's probably a wash, or close to, in terms of total number of games available?

What I say next obviously doesn't account for all people, but for a lot, as we start going into the parsing of content and services and costs for that:
  • A good chunk of Apple TV+ subscribers are currently getting the service for free. If you buy any new iPhone/Mac device, you're usually getting a free year of Apple TV+ service. Many just don't activate it. The nice thing is, when MLB season is over, just discontinue the subscription.
  • (Not entirely related, but somewhat applicable): There are 150-million Amazon Prime subscribers. That includes Prime Video. A lot of people are already plugged in for Thursday Night Football and don't even know it.
I'm entirely on board that divvying these games up among services is inconvenient for diehard fans. But this league is looking for new money where it can find it, and that, to the chagrin of those used to just flipping on the RSN or ESPN/FOX, is in the streamers.
Peacock picked up those Monday/Wednesday games but the last I heard they reportedly will not be exclusive on Peacock and they won't be blacked out.

You only get 3 months of free Apple TV+ these days when you buy a new device from Apple.

Get 3 months of Apple TV+ when you buy a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Regarding "devaluation of MLB.tv", because I'm not a regular subscriber to MLB.tv: You're losing the Friday/Sunday games to Apple/Peacock. But no one has scooped up the Monday/Wednesday national package that was discontinued by ESPN. Presumably that goes back into MLB.tv access. It's probably a wash, or close to, in terms of total number of games available.
Those Monday and Wednesday games on ESPN were not exclusive. They were also on the RSNs and could be viewed on MLB.TV and EI. The only ESPN exclusives were the Sunday night games. There is no question that those two Friday games on Apple+ and two Sunday games on Peacock will reduce the number of games available on MLB.TV and EI.

·
Mentor
565 Posts
Peacock picked up those Monday/Wednesday games but the last I heard they reportedly will not be exclusive on Peacock and they won't be blacked out.

You only get 3 months of free Apple TV+ these days when you buy a new device from Apple.
Thanks for the clarification. When I last purchased a new iPhone two years ago, it came with a full year of Apple TV+. The Peacock deal is for games exclusive to the streaming service, per Awful Announcing.

Those Monday and Wednesday games on ESPN were not exclusive. They were also on the RSNs and could be viewed on MLB.TV and EI. The only ESPN exclusives were the Sunday night games. There is no question that those two Friday games on Apple+ and two Sunday games on Peacock will reduce the number of games available on MLB.TV and EI.
Thanks. I wasn't aware how those ESPN games were/were not limited. The Peacock deal is for a total of 18 games, so that's most likely one game a Sunday.

If you're wanting to talk hardcore numbers, sure. The value of MLB.tv/Extra Innings per game is less than what it is from last season. But there are 2,400 total MLB games in a regular season. Substract the streaming exclusives (approx. 50) and linear national broadcasts (300?), and you're still looking at more baseball than even a fly's eyes can keep track of on MLB.tv/EI.

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. When I last purchased a new iPhone two years ago, it came with a full year of Apple TV+. The Peacock deal is for games exclusive to the streaming service, per Awful Announcing.

Thanks. I wasn't aware how those ESPN games were/were not limited. The Peacock deal is for a total of 18 games, so that's most likely one game a Sunday.

If you're wanting to talk hardcore numbers, sure. The value of MLB.tv/Extra Innings per game is less than what it is from last season. But there are 2,400 total MLB games in a regular season. Substract the streaming exclusives (approx. 50) and linear national broadcasts (300?), and you're still looking at more baseball than even a fly's eyes can keep track of on MLB.tv/EI.
Most baseball fans are interested in how many of their team's 162 games are available to watch, not the total number of MLB games they can watch. From my perspective, it's not a huge deal because I already have Peacock. I don't have Apple TV+, but they do have some other programming I wouldn't mind watching, so I'll probably sign up during the baseball season and binge-watch some of their shows, then cancel after the baseball season is over.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
Most baseball fans are interested in how many of their team's 162 games are available to watch, not the total number of MLB games they can watch. From my perspective, it's not a huge deal because I already have Peacock. I don't have Apple TV+, but they do have some other programming I wouldn't mind watching, so I'll probably sign up during the baseball season and binge-watch some of their shows, then cancel after the baseball season is over.
I'm not giving Apple an extra dime. Any company that charges an obscene $540 to go to a 2tb drive, will only get the money I absolutely "have" to give it (ie a phone and music).

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I signed up for EVOCA TV a OTA/OTT service that is now carrying Altitude and AT&T Sportsnet (Rockies) in Denver. This is a big deal here since Comcast and Dish dropped Altitude a couple years ago. No Nuggets or Avalanche games available other than DirecTV. The service is also ATSC 3.0 for OTA channels. I live within about 15 miles of Lookout Mountain where the major station towers are so OTA is no a problem for me. Only disadvantage I see is no DVR at this time. Looking forward to getting the equipment by the end of the week. $25.00 a month and $5.00 a month receiver rental guaranteed for 2 years. No commitment.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,539 Posts
Most baseball fans are interested in how many of their team's 162 games are available to watch, not the total number of MLB games they can watch.
Agree. I have MLB because T-Mobile gives it away and I might watch a random game just because nothing else is on, but I really only just watch my local team, which is never on the MLB package, because its the local team. I really could not see me paying for the package, between my local team and all the games on ESPN, FS1 and TBS, that is enough baseball for me.

·
Legend
367 Posts
I find that Evoca service interesting (I’m not in any of those areas, so it doesn’t matter) but I was looking at their comparison chart and I find it funny how under “additional programming fees” they list YTTV with the add on costs for HBO, NBA League Pass, etc. and “None” for Evoca.
Well gee, no kidding. Hard to charge additional programming fees for items they don’t offer. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts