DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Save the Clock Tower!!
2,221 Posts
Agree. I have MLB because T-Mobile gives it away and I might watch a random game just because nothing else is on, but I really only just watch my local team, which is never on the MLB package, because its the local team. I really could not see me paying for the package, between my local team and all the games on ESPN, FS1 and TBS, that is enough baseball for me.
That's great if you like the local team. I grew up near LA, but my "local" teams are the Giants and A's. As a Yankee fan I can't like the A's, and as an (ex)Dodger fan, I have tried to like the Giants, but it's near impossible.

·
Mentor
565 Posts
MLB.tv is now available for the 2022 season. Price has increased $10 to $139.99, per The Streamable, but an early bird special locks in the price in at $129.99 (the 2021 season price.) Team specific plans run $119.99 ($109.99 early bird pricing).

Other notes about the 2022 MLB.tv package:
  • All spring training games available without blackout restrictions.
  • Agreements in place with 13 teams to air pre-game and post-game shows within MLB.tv, with hopes to add more through the season.
  • MLB Big Inning show goes to 7 days a week, instead of just weeknights.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
I connected with DirecTV yesterday about this and the only option they gave me was the $139.99 price. I asked about discounts or promotions and was told there were none. And trying right now at the DirecTV website there is not an option to get it for 129.99. So how does one get the discount?

Nevermind, misread and that link is about MLB-TV. Not DirecTV Extra Innings. Extra Innings is $139.99.

·
Mentor
565 Posts
I connected with DirecTV yesterday about this and the only option they gave me was the $139.99 price. I asked about discounts or promotions and was told there were none. And trying right now at the DirecTV website there is not an option to get it for 129.99. So how does one get the discount?
I think this is just for the MLB.tv package directly from the league, not the MLB Extra Innings package available to cable/satellite distributors.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
MLB.tv is now available for the 2022 season. Price has increased $10 to $139.99, per The Streamable, but an early bird special locks in the price in at $129.99 (the 2021 season price.) Team specific plans run $119.99 ($109.99 early bird pricing).

Other notes about the 2022 MLB.tv package:
  • All spring training games available without blackout restrictions.
  • Agreements in place with 13 teams to air pre-game and post-game shows within MLB.tv, with hopes to add more through the season.
  • MLB Big Inning show goes to 7 days a week, instead of just weeknights.
This means we don't have to wait until the end of the preseason for DirecTV to give us access to to MLB.TV as they've done in the past. Last year they didn't give us access until minutes before the start of the first game.

On the other hand, we still won't know if it's working until the regular season games are underway. One year it wasn't working for me on opening day and I spent about an hour on the phone with customer "support" trying to get it straightened out. The CSR didn't have a solution, so he put me on hold for a while, then came back on the line and claimed it wasnt supposed to work until the second week of the season. It wasn't true, and I had to spend more time calling MLB support to get it straightened out. Unfortunately that's what you get with DirecTV - unhelpful and unknowledgeable customer service reps.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Anyone tried the Android app since they updated it? Some DVR controls have been added, which is an improvement. On the other hand, the app opens in portrait mode and only changes to landscape if you launch one of the games. If you are running the app on a tablet, you have to either re-orient the tablet or tilt your head to read what' on the screen. It's like the app developers think everyone uses the app on a phone.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
This means we don't have to wait until the end of the preseason for DirecTV to give us access to to MLB.TV as they've done in the past. Last year they didn't give us access until minutes before the start of the first game.
I don’t think it means that at all. DIRECTV EI doesn’t start until the regular which means the MLB-TV subscription through EI won’t start until the regular season.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don’t think it means that at all. DIRECTV EI doesn’t start until the regular which means the MLB-TV subscription through EI won’t start until the regular season.
It means we can stream the preseason games without waiting for DirecTV to give us access, as I stated. I'm watching games on MLB.TV today, so I know it's true.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So you bought MLB -TV separate from Extra Innings.
Nope. I do not have an MLB.TV subscription. The games are being offered for free until March 24.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
For the whole preseason or is it just the free 7 day trial that is being advertised? I can watch right now without even logging in.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
For the whole preseason or is it just the free 7 day trial that is being advertised? I can watch right now without even logging in.
I read that the preseason was being offered free this year, but the MLB link indicates it's good until March 24, which is only the first week. So unless they extend it, we'll be limited to watching on the RSNs after that date.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
AppleTV+ is pretty cheap at $5 per month. It's about the only bargain in the Apple universe.
Yup. IMO, Apple TV+ is becoming the new HBO, i.e. a service focused on a smaller library of buzzy, glossy, high-quality originals (plus a bit of sports -- remember when HBO had boxing and Wimbledon?). Just as HBO was never intended to be the first/only stop on your cable dial, Apple TV+ doesn't want to be a jumbo-sized something-for-everyone service to compete with Netflix, Prime Video, The Max (HBO Max+discovery+), or Disney+Hulu. But they do offer a steady flow of fresh new series and mini-series each week, with a few films, docs and kids shows thrown in there too.

I barely got in on the free year deal last June when I bought the new Apple TV 4K box. Once that year lapses, I'll probably drop Apple TV+ for a couple months while I rotate in Netflix and Showtime and then resubscribe for another year of Apple TV+ for $50.

·
Legend
367 Posts
I will be interested to see for todays games if there will be some type of live buffer where you can start watching from the beginning while the game is in progress, skip back, etc.
Or if it will be a straight live stream with no buffer at all.

EDIT: well according to this, there will not be any playback controls. No surprise I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
A couple of things with tonight’s Mets/Nats game tonight.

Picture is great when there isn’t any action. Some judder during action scene though that I don’t see on this same TV on MLB EI or MLB.TV.

Sound and video is not synced. Sound of announcer describing a hit to left field before the pitch was thrown.

Needs some work it seems.

·
Icon
1,306 Posts
I've been a very long term subscriber to mlb.tv, started maybe a couple years after they started up; but the continual increase in price while they chip away at the carried games. It was a continual itch they never got around to offering my local franchise team after dangling it out there for years, but this nonsense of selling games to apple exclusively may just be the final straw.

I've lived all over the country and enjoy watching the Ray's, Rangers, and A's particularly, and maybe add in the Astros even though when I lived in Houston they were still in the National league playing in the old Astrodome. Then the fact my local franchise (Seattle Mariners) billionaire owners took the city to the cleaners to build the stadium a bit over 20 years ago, but if course they were simply following the trail blazed by Paul Allen (billionaire Microsoft founder) with the Seahawks earlier. But the voters finally wised up and told those getting a stadium for potential basketball and hockey to pound sand, they wouldn't get a dime, and haven't.

But for the mlb team to have a payroll several times that of Tampa and then refuse to allow low cost tv rights to the citizens who paid for their facility because they complain they have to pay big money for players, I have to remind them Tampa has been to the playoffs a bunch of times while the Mariners haven't since 2001. So not watching them live on mlb.tv isnt a problem.

But for mlb to sell exclusive rights to out of market games is too much.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
A couple of things with tonight’s Mets/Nats game tonight.

Picture is great when there isn’t any action. Some judder during action scene though that I don’t see on this same TV on MLB EI or MLB.TV.

Sound and video is not synced. Sound of announcer describing a hit to left field before the pitch was thrown.

Needs some work it seems.
I watched a bit of both games, mainly the last couple innings of the Astros/Angels game. In both cases, the HD video quality was excellent (nearly as good as some live 4K sports I've seen) although I did notice occasional glitches, like a weird shake in the picture. Didn't notice the sound being out of sync at all but did hear persistent audio artifacts like a popping sound now and then. And unfortunately, no way to pause or rewind the live stream (unlike Peacock's recent live streams of the Winter Olympics). Even if Apple doesn't want to mess with that feature on their servers, there's no reason why they could use local storage on their Apple TV 4K to create a live buffer (as the Channels app for OTA TV does).

So good first effort at live sports by Apple TV+ but, yeah, they have some technical kinks to work out and improvements to make.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts